Looking for Virgin Voyages feedback

Carpediem

Full time employment: Posting here.
SIAP but I couldn't find any threads related to Virgin Voyages. Has anyone taken a cruise on Richard Branson's Virgin Voyages and if so, how was it? What did you like and dislike? Would you recommend it for a couple in their 60s?

I haven’t but my best friend and her husband just got back from a Mediterranean cruise on Virgin. They liked the itinerary, but did not like the ship at all for a few reasons:
- Virgin’s target market seems to be millennials. They said they were some of the few passengers without visible tattoos and piercings. Just didn’t feel like their crowd.
- The food was ok but not as good as other cruises they’ve taken.
- Service was mediocre. Several staff members shared with them that they had to work much harder on other cruise lines but they make the same on Virgin whether they work hard or not, so the job is a lot easier. Great for the worker, not so much for the passenger wanting service with a smile.

It's such a new cruise line that few people have been on it--as of now. I would think it would be a different experience from other cruise lines.

I read above it's for the younger set. We once took a Holland America 13 day repositioning cruise to Europe--with the average age 85 years. One even had "Daddy" with them.

We're more in the middle. Virgin may be a little too young for us--as is Carnival Cruise Line.

I haven't sailed, but did consider them, as I LOVE the idea of an adults-only voyage. Sadly, not a fit. As others have said, I think they cater to '20s/early '30s - and the things they seem to emphasize as benefits are detractors for me.

Not interested in group classes, don't care for hip hop or electronic music or the whole "celebrity DJ" thing. To me, DJs are still just folks that play songs I like - not "performance artists" :LOL:.

I've read a lot of interviews with Branson and his leadership team about their vision- they see themselves as disrupters in a stodgy industry: to be the cool/trendy kids by creating an experience as different as possible from a boomer/gen x cruiseline like Celebrity or Princess.

Since I LIKE what the latter offers, I got the message quick - I'm not their audience. :cool:

Curious to see how they do. It may be a smart play as current cruising generations age out the next 10-20 yrs.

SIAP but I couldn't find any threads related to Virgin Voyages. Has anyone taken a cruise on Richard Branson's Virgin Voyages and if so, how was it? What did you like and dislike? Would you recommend it for a couple in their 60s?

You'll likely find better feedback at cruisecritic.com. They have discussion forums and editor reviews for each cruiseline. Good site.

Back
Top Bottom