Losing my ambition (that's me in the corner)

Anyone else find that, as they get older, their drive and ambition diminishes?

What I mean is, I used to have lots of dreams and goals for myself. I read motivational books, strived to really do something with my life, dreamed big (not in conventional ways, but my own version), worked hard in my career, and was pretty goal-oriented. But as I've gotten older (55 now), I find a lot of that stuff has just dropped away.

Also, feeling like I've done a lot of hard work in my life, and I just want to take it easy.

Anyhow, just wondering if others have noticed this diminished drive or ambition, as they've gotten older or shifted into retirement or semi-retirement?
I love the thread title...

I'm 56 years old, and I don't think my drive or ambition has diminished-- only my capacity.

I still read the motivational books (although with more cynicism & skepticism) and I still have a To-Do list. We still travel to explore new places or revisit favorites. I still enjoy coaching, mentoring, whatever buzzword we're calling it now. But these days my ambition is more directed toward appreciating life around me than to more achievements (or more money).

Part of that is the physical limit of accumulated damage and a longer recovery time. (A good night's sleep just doesn't do it anymore.) Maybe there's some incipient arthritis which makes me appreciate the value of being over doing. Or maybe it's the surfer lifestyle-- if I'd surfed during my working days then I'm pretty sure I'd've missed a lot of morning musters.

I'm also experienced enough to know not to schedule every minute of my day because it'll just raise my stress level when unexpected opportunities or problems pop up.

It then occurred to me that all my life since kindergarten, I was "supposed" to be doing something and I hadn't had that kind of unscheduled life since I was four. I then realized that now I had reached the goal. I don't have to do anything except meet the basic responsibilities of any mature adult.

Nords wrote a great piece on this phenomenon several years ago:

http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f30/the-fog-of-work-42328.html
Thank you for this link!
Yes, thank you! Loved the original post by Nords - "being" rather than "doing" is exactly what I need to focus on more. Very thought-provoking!
Thanks, Walt & Scuba!

"Unscheduled life": exactly.

In my late 50s, I'm in better shape than I've been since my early 30s, and am ambitious about a number of personal goals. Outdoors, travel, home, extended family.

They seem to be crowding out working for a living a couple of years sooner that I would have preferred, though.

At work (I still work part-time), I just come in and do the job, but that's about it. I don't strive to improve. I don't strive for excellence (lol). I keep my professional face intact, but underneath I'm not particularly motivated.

How can you call that "lack of ambition?"

When I got RIF'd from MegaCorp at 58, without a real plan for FIRE at that time, I never worked again by choice. Just stopped. Friends called to tell me about opportunities. My resume was still on several employment sites and drew a number of calls. But I was just "done."

Now that's lack of ambition........ ;)

Anyhow, just wondering if others have noticed this diminished drive or ambition, as they've gotten older or shifted into retirement or semi-retirement?
I'm not sure if it's exactly that, but rather, as we go through life, there's always the "music" of expectations and we all have some natural propensity to "dance" to it. With the wisdom of age and the ability to step away into a quiet zone, we need to choose our own beat...something we've never done before. When we realize we're not dancing, what does that feel like? I think we need to select our own music rather than stand still in silence. But how do you know what to play when you've never had a choice?
One more factor that has contributed to my lack of ambition has been reading simplicity literature, which has helped to detach me from the modern drive to acquire, to define myself by my work or possessions, keep up with the Joneses, etc. I've also read some books extolling the virtues of leisure, taking it easy, etc. So all of that has helped to free me from social programming about what I "should" be doing or accomplishing.
Any suggestions on what has been most enlightening?

"We’re constantly told to lean in to work, to push harder and achieve more. We’re given the impression that these are the things that we need to go after in order to have a good life.....If this sounds like a life strategy you should strongly reconsider, you are absolutely correct, and Dr Waldinger has the data to back him up."
Leaning into relationships is "where it's at"!

I'm also experienced enough to know not to schedule every minute of my day because it'll just raise my stress level when unexpected opportunities or problems pop up.
<snip>
"Unscheduled life": exactly.
Thanks for the "fog" piece Nords. Yes I think "being" is a welcome perspective and schedule should be kept to being-related events. We also run a joint calendar so that there are no surprises between us.

Of course there are still "doing" activities but we try to spread them out.

(A good friend who is retired in Mexico describes making potato salad to take to a pot-luck dinner:
Day 1 - Buy potatoes
Day 2 - Peel potatoes
Day 3 - Buy or check mayo/other additions
Day 4 - Cook potatoes.
It is a nice idea to keep "doing" in check.:greetings10:)

Leaning into relationships is "where it's at"!

There's not a lot of research that a "Lean In" kind of lifestyle leads to greater happiness. The counter argument can be summed up by the old saying nobody on their deathbed ever said I wish I had spent more time in the office. I've worked for women who gave me "Lean In" kind of talks to have more ambition and not be afraid of success. I had a lot of ambition - it just didn't involve being in an office building 80 hours a week. My ambition was to have more free time for my hobbies.

I think Lean In needs to be interpreted as towards whatever is your priority or ambition, not just w*rk.

I think Lean In needs to be interpreted as towards whatever is your priority or ambition, not just w*rk.

I agree but just to clarify my comments were directed at the book, Lean In. U.S. working hours are already often very long, and many working moms who aren't billionaires and don't have full-time nannies, housekeepers and gardeners are basically also working a second shift at home already.

This writer recommends leaning out instead:

"There is evidence that trying to over-achieve on both the parenting and working fronts simultaneously can be maddening. Multiple studies have found steep declines in the well-being of women over the decades relative to men. Working moms multitask more—and are less happy about it. American working hours are crazy: Each year we work a month more on average than we did in 1976, and 62 percent of high-earning professionals work 50 hours a week or more."

My boss is big into Lean In. She also admits that she cries herself to sleep some nights. She is the very definition of overstretched, IMO, and there's little I can do to ease that burden she puts on herself, but I definitely learn from it.

It comes from the best selling self help book, Lean In, as mentioned by daylate above. I didn't read it as I generally avoid such books, so I am also unaware about how the phrase is being used.

My comment wasn't literal, but thanks anyway. It was more of a statement of attitude towards the creation of all these buzzwords and phrases, when actual English would work just as well.

My comment wasn't literal, but thanks anyway. It was more of a statement of attitude towards the creation of all these buzzwords and phrases, when actual English would work just as well.

+1

Guessing that "bust your a$$ working and talk to your co-workers" wouldn't have been a compelling title ;)

Plus, it wouldn't sell books.
Precisely - and thanks for the chuckle FlaGator!

A buzz phrase or word can help to give the impression that an author has discovered or created an entirely new perspective or concept. Explaining his/her ideas in plain English would often reveal that this not necessarily the case.

I've certainly experienced the OP's loss of ambition in career and to some extent hobbies. My relationships with family are a greater priority though. It reminds me of an Anne Tyler novel sometimes.

My perspective of life changed thirteen years ago when DW battle ovarian cancer (and won!). Work became a method to achieve retirement and that was all. Now life is easy and good.

Last edited:
What I said was

lean in to relationships
Those were not my words. Those came from the TEDx talk, referenced earlier.

My sentiment, and the sentiment of the TEDx talk is just the opposite of the w*rk interpretation of "lean in".

The thesis is that by paying more attention to your relationships to real people in your life, such as family and close friends, you will probably be happier, you'll be less likely find yourself sitting in the corner without ambition to do anything. It's well accepted that looking outside of yourself is what needs to happen inorder to have a fulfilling life.

Great posts. Love reading them all. With my ER date approaching - I have been pondering some of these same things. I love the goal posted by WalkinWoods and I think it will be my starting goal as well:
"Now, my goal is to be mobile and healthy - physically and mental - to the end of my days, stay happily married, keep my friendships strong, continue to be curious about the world around me ... stuff like that. And of course, stay solvent till we exit. These aren't minor ambitions."

Great posts. Love reading them all. With my ER date approaching - I have been pondering some of these same things. I love the goal posted by WalkinWoods and I think it will be my starting goal as well:
"Now, my goal is to be mobile and healthy - physically and mental - to the end of my days, stay happily married, keep my friendships strong, continue to be curious about the world around me ... stuff like that. And of course, stay solvent till we exit. These aren't minor ambitions."

I think the mobile-and-healthy thing is big for me, having battled back pain and hip pain for a number of years (and now at last starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel!).

I have noticed, at least in the world I live in, that if I were to stop working and people asked what I was planning to do next, the answer "I'm just going to work on me for a while" would be seen as a perfectly valid response. (especially adding my new widowhood into the mix) So I'm just going to go with that. :)

And, snark aside about what other people think, I actually do think it is valid.
My father at 84 still rides his bike a few times a week, and gets such great enjoyment out of it. And he spends a good hour-plus every morning on his "exercises," working on his flexibility and strength. And I don't doubt he's in better shape physically than I am. In fact, I think the progress I have finally started making with my own back issues is because life is so much less busy without DH, and even while still working I can commit a good hour more often to my own exercises. And once I stop working, it'd be great to do that every morning. It's very peaceful. (I guess that's what other people know as "yoga.")

So I've set some goals for myself, to help break me out of my comfortable complacency. I have no interest in becoming driven or ambitious again, but I do think I need goals and a sense of forward movement.

I think we all need "goals", in some form or fashion, to be happy. It's basic human nature. Even goals as modest as "I'm going to clean up and declutter the downstairs closet today" give us a sense of purpose and ambition, and when done it feels good to have accomplished something that took a bit of effort. Sometimes I hear that people don't have (and don't want to have) any goals whatsoever, and for me at least, that is a recipe for boredom, malaise, and mental / emotional atrophy. So I always have a list of goals in mind, some very small and short-term, some much larger and more complex, to keep my mind engaged and to have interesting things to look forward to.

I can actually recall early in my c*reer, topping the little hill by the plant site and getting a thrill. How could I be so lucky as to w*rk here. I still kind of feel that way (in retrospect - the luck part) but I'm betting I couldn't find 40 people who remember me by name and no more than 2 or 3 who would recall any of my significant accomplishments. IOW, we live, we w*rk, we die and no one really particularly cares. I guess it's just the way of the world. Being upset by it is a fools errand.

Couldn't agree more. I think many (if not most) of us go through life and our careers feeling like we are doing something very meaningful or somehow important and that everyone around us is noticing and impressed by our accomplishments. But, of course, the reality is that most people are highly self-absorbed and ultimately don't care much at all about you, your life, or your accomplishments and will forget all about you very soon after you leave their little corner of the world.

Here is how our socially-driven inner self views the world.

circles.png

And here is how things actually are.

circles-2-1024x785.png

I took these from an article on the Wait But Why website about why all of us should stop caring so much about what other people think of us. https://waitbutwhy.com/2014/06/taming-mammoth-let-peoples-opinions-run-life.html

The more I've thought about this, the more I believe that things like growing a crop of really nice summer veggies in my garden is every bit as valuable, meaningful, and "important" as starting / building / running a successful company, or winning a major tennis tournament, or writing a critically-acclaimed novel, just to give a few examples. Ultimately, even the most seemingly important and consequential accomplishments get washed away by the passage of time, so there is no reason to work yourself to the bone trying to become a world-class, renowned X or Y or whatever as opposed to focusing on smaller, more achievable, self-satisfying goals. Much sooner than most people realize, very, very few people will have ever heard of you or will know or care about anything you did in your life, even if you were a very "great" person in some way. How many people today actually know of or care anything about Alvah Curtis Roebuck, born in 1846 and co-founder of the once great retailer Sears, Roebuck & Co.?

Through my 30s and 40s I used to write all of my goals on one index card each January and keep it in my wallet. One typical bullet was, "Become a national VP (in my field) in 5 years." Well, I accomplished that one and found out quickly that I do not like the extreme accountability to others and I really could not stand my highly-torqued CEO boss. I dialed it back to a director level at a different org with a truly nice boss and I am much happier. I haven't managed to write an index card in 2-3 years now, so that tells me I'm in a good groove. At 51, when I do write one next, a goal will be "Finish this current project, quit and slow travel the globe with my wife for a year." "Do more bonefishing." "Go to Aspen Ideas Festival once." Those are the kind of goals I'm driven to these days - for personal enjoyment and growth, bucket list stuff, not career stuff, which inspires more of a "been there, done that" feeling. I'm glad I still have that personal kind of ambition, at least!

Yep, it's a good thing when you realize that these arbitrary career / status-related goals are nothing but tantalizing illusions. Any happiness or fulfillment you derive from things like becoming a national VP tends to be pretty short lived, as you quickly pivot to the next goal after a sense of complacency and boredom sets in. We are in a constant state of striving, never able to reach that "nirvana" state of being where we believe ultimate fulfillment and happiness awaits. So instead of chasing the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, better to travel leisurely towards the rainbow, having interesting adventures along the way and enjoying the small daily rewards that, when added up over a lifetime, are probably better than what was supposed to be in that pot of gold anyway.

Much sooner than most people realize, very, very few people will have ever heard of you or will know or care about anything you did in your life, even if you were a very "great" person in some way. How many people today actually know of or care anything about Alvah Curtis Roebuck, born in 1846 and co-founder of the once great retailer Sears, Roebuck & Co.?

Most have probably read this poem that is about this issue:

I met a traveller from an antique land
Who said: Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
Stand in the desert... near them, on the sand,
Half sunk, a shattered visage lies, whose frown,
And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,
Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
The hand that mocked them and the heart that fed:

And on the pedestal these words appear:
'My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!'
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

Percy Shelley's "Ozymandias"

I've gotten more out of this forum than any TED talks. Great thread. I could give a +1 to most of the posts here.

Back
Top Bottom