Lots of good news today

Status
Not open for further replies.
travel restrictions for international maybe.
but within the USA, say from FL to NY ?
and how will that be enforced?
stop every single car?

What makes you say that given that the simple act of wearing a mask is much less invasive?
I am truly curious what makes you think that one will be doable than the other?

I was referring to travel restrictions for air travel cruises,etc. Also possible for large gatherings, indoor sporting events etc. This is just my conjecture.

Masks are fine but have to be worn on your face, which most (or even all?) prefer to avoid for a variety of reasons. And less effective as we are seeing.

Please let's avoid the mask topic. No good news there.

I was referring to travel restrictions for air travel cruises,etc. Also possible for large gatherings, indoor sporting events etc. This is just my conjecture.

Masks are fine but have to be worn on your face, which most (or even all?) prefer to avoid for a variety of reasons. And less effective as we are seeing.

Please let's avoid the mask topic. No good news there.

I am not talking about the effectiveness or lack of of masks which I won't debate with you.

I am asking why you would think that something that is injected into the body will be more tolerable to people who won't even wear a mask which is an act that requires no such injection of a foreign substance into one's body?

MODERATOR NOTE: Please read and heed MichaelB's post above (#676). Thanks.

MODERATOR NOTE: Please read and heed MichaelB's post above (#676). Thanks.

Further posts discussing the vaccine will be moved to the vaccines thread

My Port. has been really good news since the two stories on vaccines have hit. I'm even thinking about another traunch from my 401(k) to help rebalance. :dance: Now, just tell me where to line up for my shot! I am so ready though YMMV.:cool:

NYT:

Immunity to the Coronavirus May Last Years, New Data Hint
Blood samples from recovered patients suggest a powerful, long-lasting immune response, researchers reported.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/17/health/coronavirus-immunity.html

That is great news.

I heard Dr. Gottlieb say that by the end of January, we might have 30% of the population with immunity caused by the disease, another 20% with immunity through vaccination for a total of 50%. At that point we might see the virus slow down as the number of potential victims will have been seriously reduced.

I don't like where that 30% comes from.

That is great news.

I heard Dr. Gottlieb say that by the end of January, we might have 30% of the population with immunity caused by the disease, another 20% with immunity through vaccination for a total of 50%. At that point we might see the virus slow down as the number of potential victims will have been seriously reduced.

I don't like where that 30% comes from.

Some of us may have immunity from symptom-free illness or earlier exposure to coronaviruses. So that 30 percent may be less a worry that it appears. And if immunity is as long lived as link suggests, this can grow quickly.

Some of us may have immunity from symptom-free illness or earlier exposure to coronaviruses. So that 30 percent may be less a worry that it appears. And if immunity is as long lived as link suggests, this can grow quickly.

Mentioned before that I was a prime candidate for flu during the flu pandemics of the past (back to 1957). I wondered (here) if some of us are just immune for reasons we don't understand. No idea what percentage that would be, but it would be good news indeed if we could add those folks to the 30% and 20%. This is one of those times I want to be part of the herd! :cool:

I was critical of the Nucira home covid test in this post, but only because it doesn't do what I want from a public health perspective (costs too much, requires a prescription). But this is good news.

I'm amazed that they can make a test kit for 'about $50' that applies PCR technology! You don't need to read every word, just let this wash over you:

The Sample Vial contains an elution buffer that allows the swab contents to be eluted and lysed at room temperature, releasing viral and human RNA for downstream detection. Upon engagement of the Sample Vial and Test Unit, this eluant enters a fluidic module, contained within the Test Unit that has several individual reaction chambers. The eluant resolubilizes lyophilized reagents, contained within these chambers, which are needed to perform the RT-LAMP reaction. An internal electronic heating element detects this chamber filling and automatically turns on, initiating amplification within the reaction chambers. The reactions are confined within the fluidic unit and no other part of the Test Unit has contact with the sample during amplification. The Test Unit contains chambers that target SARS-CoV-2 RNA (two non-overlapping regions of the N gene), a positive internal control (PIC), and a lysis internal control (LIC). The color change of the reaction mixture is detected in real time using optical and electronic elements contained within the Test Unit. An on-board microprocessor analyzes the color change data to detect the presence of amplification, and hence the target RNA, in each chamber. A diagnostic algorithm, included in the device firmware, is then used to determine patient infectivity status and the results are shown via LED indicators.
All for $50.

Here's a bit of oddball good news due to the corona virus and its resulting restrictions.

Early in 2020 household paper that was being recycled was worthless - $0 per ton. Now the price has climbed to about $30 per ton according to an article in the WSJ.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/all-those-used-delivery-boxes-are-a-hot-commodity-11605609001?page=1

It seems that all those cardboard delivery boxes that are being used thanks to CV have substantially upped the quality of the waste paper products from our homes. Those cardboard boxes have nice long fibers that are easier to recycle into other paper products. There have also been improvements in recycling previously difficult products like paper cups (They have a thin plastic coating inside that makes recycling difficult. That problem is being overcome.) But, it's the cardboard delivery boxes that are leading the charge.

A few quotes since the article is behind a paywall:

Junk mail and discarded delivery boxes have turned into a hot commodity as the paper industry uses them as a substitute for recycled office paper, which became scarce as people work from home.
Many U.S. mills long avoided paper from curbside recycling programs. The low quality of paper mixed with glass, cans and household trash made it difficult to turn into new paper and cardboard. Before China tightened its standards, it had been buying two-thirds of such mixed paper collected in the U.S. The export demand kept prices high, discouraging U.S. paper mills from investing in ways to use more of it.

But better screening for contaminants and the rising share of e-commerce delivery boxes in recycling bins have made that mixed paper more attractive, operators say.

Atlanta-based WestRock, which operates 18 plants to sort recycled material of all types, started a public-awareness campaign this summer to encourage consumers to dump some of the three billion pizza boxes produced in the U.S. each year in recycling bins. The grease or cheese residue doesn’t preclude them from being turned into recycled pulp, which can be used to make new cardboard, the company said.

Some mills are substituting mixed paper from recycling programs for discarded office paper that has become scarce as most office workers stay home.

Last edited:
Very promising cancer research

Cancer study uses gene editing to eliminate cancer in animals. Acts like "microscopic scissors" to target and eliminate cancer cells. First of its kind research affects cancer cells only, with no side effects, and scientists believe cancer so treated will not return. A "more elegant chemo".

Human testing a couple of years off. Peer-reviewed study. Very promising indeed.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/with-new-elegant-chemo-israeli-scientists-edit-genome-to-destroy-cancer-dna/

Holiday sales.forecast looking strong at 3.6 to 5.2% range. Pretty strong all considered.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/11/23/ret...-rising-3point6percent-to-5point2percent.html

That is good news! I just don't understand how it will happen. Yes, I understand a lot of folks shop on line (I do not, for the most part.) This year, DW and I agreed NOT to shop for each other or any of the kids. We will send nice checks to the kids. Perhaps THEY will turn the year black for merchants.:dance:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom