Luddite

I love Ireland. Where did you live in Ireland? My wife and spent our Honeymoon in Western Ireland. The Connemara area. I managed a few days Salmon fishing as well.

We lived in what used to be a little town called Blackrock, south of Dublin. This was back in the sixties -- my father got an all-expense-paid trip to Vietnam, courtesy of Uncle Sam, so my mother took us kids back to Ireland and we all bunked in with our grandparents until Papa was back from the war.

Much has changed since then -- the con-VENT school I used to attend was turned into con-DOS. That was a shock, let me tell you! You'd not find me living in a building haunted by old nuns!!!

Everyone is filthy rich (compared to what they used to be) -- they're all driving really nice cars vs taking the bus, and decorating with Pier One vs those wormy old antiques my grandparents had. I'm happy for them, but the place is unrecognizeable to me, these days.

Except for the West, that is. You can still smell a peat fire and find a pub filled with shepherds AND their dogs, and have a world-class harp player wander in and entertain you, all unplanned.

How long ago was that honeymoon, Cutthroat? It's still there if you want a replay. That or take a good whiff of diesel bus exhaust -- that always brings ME back to the land of the green double-deckers! ;-D

Martha said:
Judging from your past posts, I would say old fogey. :)
So you can help me with an expanation of the frenzy over the PS3? I cannot imagine lining up for 3 days to buy a piece of new technology. :confused:

kcowan said:
So you can help me with an expanation of the frenzy over the PS3? I cannot imagine lining up for 3 days to buy a piece of new technology. :confused:

Hey, I can't help. I didn't even know what a PS3 was until someone told me on this thread. :) But I can't imagine lining up to buy anything, except maybe tickets to a Rolling Stones concert.

Martha said:
Hey, I can't help. I didn't even know what a PS3 was until someone told me on this thread. :) But I can't imagine lining up to buy anything, except maybe tickets to a Rolling Stones concert.
We got great tickets to Elton John by hiring someone to line up for us. :)

Ok, smarties, if you know what PS3 is, how about Wii?

I agree, frenzy is silly, but people seem to be enjoying it other than the murder and mayhem.

It's all a matter of finding the technology that serves you and avoiding the stuff that starts to own you.

When people are spending more time downloading music for their ipods than they are listening to it, they've crossed the line if you ask me.

Martha said:
I can't imagine lining up to buy anything, except maybe tickets to a Rolling Stones concert.
I lined up at a Sears in Chicago to buy Stones tickets in 1970 or something. The damn store manager must have had a perverse sense of humor. He ignored the door where the line had stood for hours and opened another entrance first. When the door I was at was finally opened we charged in just like the PS3 nuts. If people had been armed that manager would be dead.

Don

To all those asking what is a PS3, I have a similar question.

What are rolling stones? :D

Caroline said:
Except for the West, that is. You can still smell a peat fire and find a pub filled with shepherds AND their dogs, and have a world-class harp player wander in and entertain you, all unplanned.

How long ago was that honeymoon, Cutthroat? It's still there if you want a replay. That or take a good whiff of diesel bus exhaust -- that always brings ME back to the land of the green double-deckers! ;-D

I was in 1987 - Almost 20 years - We will return. - We sat in many a country house with peat fire and Irish Coffees. - Pubs and Guiness too!

Back
Top Bottom