Mail Address Change for Deceased

Someone else mentioned this up thread-- but worth repeating

A forwarding is only good for 6 months now, then you have to renew. If you have any doctor/hospital bills etc they very well could take 6 months to bill and be mailed.

Change of address is good for one year.

The only other problem with Change of Address, at least for us, is our post office loses some of the mail.
We get the USPS images of mail, and sure enough on our last trip, an important mail piece for which we had an image, never showed up. They cannot trace 1st class mail, so it's simply gone.

I just pretended I was my MIL and changed it online. Super easy.

I guess I was lucky. I got the form from the mail lady who knew that mom had died. Can't remember exactly what I put on the form, probably like TeacherTerry just pretended I was mom, and it went through with no problem other than the length of time to get mom's mail because it has to go through the main area PO.

So I got my appointment as executor and went into the post office to do the change of address. According to the online information, I was supposed to provide proof of my authority. So I brought my letters testamentary.

The clerk never asked to see anything! He just gave me the form. He did take pause when he noticed my mom's name is not the same as mine. He then asked to see my ID. As soon as he saw my mom's last name on my drivers license, he was fine with all. I use my maiden name as my middle name. Of course, that isn't how that is supposed to be done. He should ask to see the document showing that I am, in fact, the executor....

Back
Top Bottom