Major challenge - Preparing to Move

+1 on "the kids can store their treasures." And the difficult part for mom & dad is that maybe the kids don't want very much of what mom and dad think is valuable, desirable, or sentimental. Tastes change from generation to generation. Which is why some re-sale shops are chocked-full of "valuable" knick-knacks that don't sell. For mom and dad it can be a tough pill to swallow that your 'collections' have little value and nobody wants them.

My dad and I have a running joke: When it comes time for me to clean out their house, I am going to have a yard sale with the price for anything is $0.25. The punchline is "you'll still make thousands".

My mom gets irritated. "You better not sell this figurine for a quarter. The eyes are real rubies!" I always say in that case, you better label it, otherwise I'm selling it for a quarter. Any time Mom comes home with a doodad, Dad says "There's another quarter for Philliefan":LOL:

I spent some time this morning on a stroll down memory lane, going through a box of photos and newspaper clippings from my glory days as a high school and college athlete. I took some photos of a few things, then recycled/tossed it all. :dance:

My dad and I have a running joke: When it comes time for me to clean out their house, I am going to have a yard sale with the price for anything is $0.25. The punchline is "you'll still make thousands".

My mom gets irritated. "You better not sell this figurine for a quarter. The eyes are real rubies!" I always say in that case, you better label it, otherwise I'm selling it for a quarter. Any time Mom comes home with a doodad, Dad says "There's another quarter for Philliefan":LOL:

I spent some time this morning on a stroll down memory lane, going through a box of photos and newspaper clippings from my glory days as a high school and college athlete. I took some photos of a few things, then recycled/tossed it all. :dance:

Heh, heh, you are lucky that your mom gives you doodads. Wife's parents were antique clock sellers/repairer. We ended up with a grandfather clock as well as several shelf and mantle clocks and various pocket watches. We could NOT sell them until both of DW's parents were gone. AND they had to be prominently displayed when in laws dropped in. YMMV

Heh, heh, you are lucky that your mom gives you doodads. Wife's parents were antique clock sellers/repairer. We ended up with a grandfather clock as well as several shelf and mantle clocks and various pocket watches. We could NOT sell them until both of DW's parents were gone. AND they had to be prominently displayed when in laws dropped in. YMMV

Oh, you're situation is much worse. My mom isn't giving me doodads, she's continuing to fill her house. They've got over 3000 sq feet of space + two garages, packed to the brim. It will be a big job to empty out the house when it comes time.

Wife's parents were antique clock sellers/repairer. We ended up with a grandfather clock as well as several shelf and mantle clocks and various pocket watches. We could NOT sell them until both of DW's parents were gone. AND they had to be prominently displayed when in laws dropped in. YMMV

Whenever I see an old clock I think of DW's cousin who died not long ago. He had a grandfather clock that had been in his family for many generations. It was so old it only had one hand, which almost certainly dates it to some time before 1700.

I have been tempted to ask his wife if she has any interest in selling it, just because of the family connection.

Timely Facebook "memory" this morning:

2017.15: I am thankful that the person from Craig's List called ahead and showed up early, didn't try haggling, and tipped me an additional $20 for helping him load his van.

DW and I finished our move yesterday. Unloaded in a MN blizzard. We're 56 & 60 and made a promise that this is the last move we do ourselves.

We also agreed that we're not taking any furniture with us when we move (likely to an apt. or condo) in about 10 years. None of it.

Taxidermy is something that I'm glad I didn't have any more of. Fella's think long and hard before you mount that fish or deer head.

Oh, you're situation is much worse. My mom isn't giving me doodads, she's continuing to fill her house. They've got over 3000 sq feet of space + two garages, packed to the brim. It will be a big job to empty out the house when it comes time.

Yeah, we had to do that as well. So, we had TWO houses to empty out before we could move - MIL's house and our house. Good news is MIL's stuff paid for her nursing home. Our stuff Probably covered our air fair (no charge for 2 suit cases back then.) YMMV

DW and I finished our move yesterday. Unloaded in a MN blizzard. We're 56 & 60 and made a promise that this is the last move we do ourselves.

We also agreed that we're not taking any furniture with us when we move (likely to an apt. or condo) in about 10 years. None of it.

Taxidermy is something that I'm glad I didn't have any more of. Fella's think long and hard before you mount that fish or deer head.

Wow, rough move! I can't even imagine going outside in a blizzard, much less moving in one. So glad you are done with it! :)

We were fortunate.

We had a container delivered to our driveway in late August.

We had the container delivered to our condo late June. We contracted with the container storage folks to unload the container to our condo.

Cannot imagine moving in the winter. Up until a few days ago we have had two weeks of -28C weather.

Back
Top Bottom