Map of the Market

Htown Harry

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
A very clever use of data visualization:

Map of the Market

mini1229.gif

The display shows approximately 600 publicly traded companies (chosen by SmartMoney.com editors for their importance or interest) grouped by sector and industry. Within each industry the layout is designed so that neighboring companies have historically had similar stock price movements. That arrangement gives the map a powerful capacity to reveal regularities in the market's movement, with trends appearing as distinctive patterns of light and dark.

Thanks Harry - I used to have that bookmarked and lost it before I learned to backup my bookmarks. I was just trying to find it the other night, saw it on a screen in the background of a photo and spent an hour in a fruitless search. You're cool! O0

If you register on the SmartMoney site, you can map your own portfolio.:cool:

Another cool one

Glad you like it...

Warning: now you've encouraged me.>:D

This one is an interesting view of the historical returns of the S&P 500:

Many Eyes: Sand P 500

We're all familiar with stock charts, which showing price over time in the shape of a line graph. This application shows the S&P 500 value over about 12 years ending in 2007.

The display is interesting because it's made up of a stack of 500 line graphs. But the really cool part is you can use your mouse to dynamically rearrange the members of the dataset by sector, subsector or by stock, to see trends by industry. The dot-com bubble is clearly visible.

On the left side, there's a check box that allows you to drill down into those same subsets to see how, for example, the integrated oil gas companies and that subgroup's individual stocks of the have done over time.

Back
Top Bottom