Marijuana stocks

I think it is called weed for a simple reason. And when you give any weed some water and fertilizer, you get an abudanza of a crop.

So, who would have to buy MJ? Growing tobacco or brewing your own beer takes more work than that, let alone making your own whisky or cognac which is still illegal. :)

Yup growing pot is easy. The plant is very hardy. But not something you want to advertise and the aroma of ripe female buds is easy to recognize.

IE you don't want people coming over your fence.

Hmmm... If the plant is that stinky before it is even lit, perhaps it can be grown indoors where the aroma can be enjoyed 24/7.

If it is too much, perhaps it can be grown in a glass cage, or a closet? I would think an entrepreneur would already figure out a solution and turn it into a product.

Hmmm... If the plant is that stinky before it is even lit, perhaps it can be grown indoors where the aroma can be enjoyed 24/7.

If it is too much, perhaps it can be grown in a glass cage, or a closet? I would think an entrepreneur would already figure out a solution and turn it into a product.
There are many on the market. Most "prebuilt units" are constrained by space and $ per square foot. Sure you can do closet or basement setups you are limited by the law on the number of plants.

Other things to consider for the home gardener is number of strains. At a dispensary I'll have maybe 25-30 strains to select from; sativa for morning and indica at night. How am I going to grow many different strains if I can only have 4-6 plants?

Many dispensaries make their profits on concentrates and edibles($$$). Big money items that people love. Sure you can make them at home but.... it's a lot of work. Making concentrates can involve dangerous stuff like butane. Edibles are fun to make a batch sometimes but it's more work than you think. You cook cannabis to decarb, then extract the THC by double boiling in coconut oil for hours. Then drain, filter, cool.... after all that, you can bake brownies or make gummy bears. For me it's a lot of work to grow and I like to have more concentrates and edibles than I care to make.

Sure there's a black market for cannabis, maybe they should have smart people figure out what happens when you criminalize something that grows in the dirt! Who knew making it illegal would create a black market?

Last edited:
But it is legal now, and there's still a thriving black market!

And as RobbieB said, even if you could grow a mini MJ farm in the backyard, you would be robbed by people jumping the fence. :)

I grow a lot of vegetable in the backyard, and nobody robs me of it. I have to give it away. :)

Last edited:
I jumped into CGC Canopy Growth Corporation for a few hundred dollars. Who knows, I might make a few dollars on it.

In 2016, investors expected the market for MJ would hit $6.5 billion by 2020.

And now, in 2019, the sales of MJ are a huge $12 billion, but the problem is that 3/4 of that is illicit. Legal MJ producers are crying uncle because they cannot compete.

See: California cannabis industry sending SOS to state leaders.

In 2016, investors expected the market for MJ would hit $6.5 billion by 2020.

And now, in 2019, the sales of MJ are a huge $12 billion, but the problem is that 3/4 of that is illicit. Legal MJ producers are crying uncle because they cannot compete.

See: California cannabis industry sending SOS to state leaders.
+1

Greed will battle the black market. Illinois has recreational cannibis coming and it's a great example of how to fail. One article suggests $300 ounces. Why would anyone who has a choice pay that? Greed is going to guarentee the black market flourishes.

I’m back to even! No interest in trying to time individual trades but my little ‘roll your own’ MF is out of the red.

Between the vaping dangers that have come to light and Hexo’s statement that affected the entire space my little homegrown mutual fund is down a bit.

I don’t usually market time but I did add to the ‘seed tray’ fund today since I think it’s a matter of when not if there’s an eventual harvest.

Anyone else following or playing in this area?

Shopify (SHOP) provides platforms for Cannabis businesses. It is a way to participate without owning actual weed. Has performed well.

Shopify (SHOP) provides platforms for Cannabis businesses. It is a way to participate without owning actual weed. Has performed well.

That's probably a good idea. Every time I've owned actual weed I end up not owning any again after a while.

That's probably a good idea. Every time I've owned actual weed I end up not owning any again after a while.
That's what happened to me! I haven't seen it since DW made those delicious cookies.

Go get some more.

I love my trip to the dope store. I plan a long visit with lots of sniffing and discussion, a round trip scenic loop route and a good lunch in the middle. It's right at the farm in Rio Vista and an excellent afternoon!

Texas hasn’t quite gotten around to legalization, but, in the spirit of rugged individualism, I’m sure they will...

I think they throw you in jail in Texas. And hope you rot. Damn hippies.

Yeah they toss you in jail.

Yeah, strange state in some way. Up until 10 - 15 years ago, it was legal to drink and drive as long as you were not drunk. Of course that changed, but a lot of beer and booze gets consumed in this state.

A couple of years ago, one of our County judges got stopped and arrested for potential DUI. He got off, but next election he didn't get to keep his job. go figure!

Last year legalization failed in NY and NJ due to squabbling about the details. NJ will have it on the ballot this November. In NY, Cuomo has said he wants it done in 2020, but he didn't push for it last year and conservative voices put enough pressure to quash it last year. Time will tell, but it looks like a tipping point once NY/NJ/CT legalize.

Yesterday, i stumbled onto a nice little Canadian MJ stock (OGI) that was announcing earnings last night after hours. I bought some shares at $2.18 in the early afternoon. They announced that earnings doubled, and their stock spiked in after hours trading to a high of $2.89....currently at $2.71 waiting for the opening bell frenzy.

Anticipation is killing me.

OGI currently up 47% at 3.18 a share today. I bought at $2.18 24 hours ago. Doing my happy dance !

For those interested and so inclined, the House just passed the MORE act. Let the good times roll.

For those interested and so inclined, the House just passed the MORE act. Let the good times roll.

The House, but not the Senate (yet, anyway). We'll get there at some point though. The momentum seems to be heading in that direction.

The House, but not the Senate (yet, anyway). We'll get there at some point though. The momentum seems to be heading in that direction.

The Senate vote will depend on the Georgia runoff. After the results, pot stocks could go up or down. :dance: Hopefully, up.

Back
Top Bottom