Market to hit all-time high this morning !

We are all small fish compared to someone. I also was down 800 to 900K of this year and did nothing like I have in the last 40 years.

Today's market is the reverse of yesterday. The market opened in the red, then slowly climbed up. I looked at it while drinking my morning coffee, made a few minor trades, then went out to work in the backyard. When I came back in the house, was surprised to see the market close up the day in the green. Darn!

The put options I closed out yesterday would have made me more money if I held until today. It's only a couple of grands that I missed, but every bit of money helps. That's good money for grocery right there. :)

... I am also somewhat a more conservative investor I suspect...

I hold many individual stocks, and one reason I look at the daily result of the portfolio is to gauge its volatility compared to that of the total market.

I have not bothered to formally compute the beta of the portfolio, but think it is around 1, if not a bit higher. I have a barbell distribution of stocks, some are highly volatile such as semiconductor stocks, emerging market, biotechs, and these are balanced out by benign utility stocks, sedated consumer staple stocks, and just plain cash. Indeed, 36% of my portfolio currently is cash or cash equivalent.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom