Maybe Peas Are the Culprit in Canine Heart Disease Associated With a Grain-Free Diet

Ian S

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
A new study suggests that the association between grain-free dog food diets and a type of heart disease may be due to high pea content in such foods. We switched our dog away from a grain-free dog food when the association was first publicized a couple of years ago. Relatively few dogs actually need a grain-free diet but for many years it's been hard to find a high end dog food that isn't grain-free. That seems to be changing. https://www.akc.org/expert-advice/n...tent=news_p1&utm_term=Nibble_Health_Send_List

Our vet recommended we not feed the grain-free food, although she did not specifically mention this or other studies. What concerns me about this article is that we use snap peas and carrots as treats for our dog. She loves them. Our vet was surprised she liked vegetables that much but did not discourage feeding them. She is 10+ years old.

My vet told me most veterinarians did not buy into the grain free fad.
It’s just another way to sell their products. Not about health for dogs.

FYI pea protein is a staple in a lot of the new "meatless" meats, impossible burger, beyond burger and such.

Wonder if too much of it is bad for humans too?

I like to eat vegetarian foods, and I am so disappointed with all the new meat substitutes and even ice creams and other vegan junk food that rely on pea protein. It always makes my stomach hurt. So from a comprehensive study of just myself ;-), I wouldn't be at all surprised if the excess pea protein is also making the pups sick.

We considered "high end" food but seeing the problems fortunately never made the switch

We went grain free for our Mastiff and the tumors on her head went away. Have to check her current food for peas.

When we got our last cat, the breeder sent us home with a container of minced meat, including organ meat, for the kitten. That's what he fed his high-priced cats, and that's all he fed them.

Dogs are closer to omnivores than cats (which are pure carnivores) but I'd be surprised if they didn't thrive on a diet of mostly meat.

We were told by the vet to place our dog on grain free due to severe allergies. He was a pound puppy and had lost almost all of his hair when we got him and was underweight.
He has done fine so far, almost 12 years old.
Funny--if he gets canned dog food or "people" food leftovers, he has always eaten around any peas. They are left in the bowl. So, he must know!

Thanks so much for posting this. Our dog is very healthy and has eaten only grain-free, but peas are the second ingredient so after reading the link in the OP and the links within the linked article, decided to return to Amazon the unopened 11-lb bag I had just ordered (Amazon is refunding the purchase price but doesn't want the product returned :LOL:. Of course not, it might be dangerous!). We'll wean her to the same food the kennel uses so we don't have to bring her grain-free version any more when we board her. She was just at the vet for vaccinations and they always ask what she eats and never advised any other product so I might be over-reacting....

We were told by the vet to place our dog on grain free due to severe allergies. He was a pound puppy and had lost almost all of his hair when we got him and was underweight.
Funny--if he gets canned dog food or "people" food leftovers, he has always eaten around any peas. They are left in the bowl. So, he must know!

Ha, our dog always did that too. She would take the peas and spit them on the floor around her bowl in disdain. She lived to the ripe old age of 17, so maybe they do know!

Our vet recommended we not feed the grain-free food, although she did not specifically mention this or other studies. What concerns me about this article is that we use snap peas and carrots as treats for our dog. She loves them. Our vet was surprised she liked vegetables that much but did not discourage feeding them. She is 10+ years old.
I'm not sure the odd treat would be a problem but maybe give her more carrots than peas until the whole issue is clarified.

Might check the pea content; I think dog food maker will start reformulating the grain free diets and offer more options without the peas.

FYI pea protein is a staple in a lot of the new "meatless" meats, impossible burger, beyond burger and such.

Wonder if too much of it is bad for humans too?

If you have a pea or bean allergy, yes.

I have those allergies. They are severe. Hives, tongue burning, throat closing severe. It sent me to the hospital several times before it was figured out (the added difficultly is that in the culture I grew up in, peas and beans are a major, regular part of the diet, so often my parents had to cook a separate meal for me).

I tried a meatless burger, and within minutes the symptom occurred. Fortunately it did not send me to the hospital, but hives all over your today and a burning tongue is no fun. It seems all of the "meatless" meats have pea protein in them to match the protein found in real meat. For that reason I stay away from them.

Ha, our dog always did that too. She would take the peas and spit them on the floor around her bowl in disdain. She lived to the ripe old age of 17, so maybe they do know!

My dog never had to worry about peas in human food he got.
I hate peas!

There isn't a maybe about peas being bad in a dog's diet. Whole peas are fine. Whole vegetables of any type are fine - unless your dog has an allergy to them. But what the FDA found (if I read the Tufts study correctly) is that peas in high concentration could contain compounds that may create DCM which contributes to heart problems.

So, read labels! As for grain-inclusive dogs foods, they are out there! See the website for Dog Food Reviews, where you can see reviews sorted by grain-free and grain inclusive. This site reviews foods and uses a star-rating system. https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/brand/

The dog food advisor is a dentist. It’s not a good place to get advice on dog nutrition.

Back
Top Bottom