Mechanical help lifting heavy things

If you are going to buy just about anything from Harbor Freight, compare it to a similar quality product before making your purchasing decision. Most things I've seen from them either don't work very well (or at all) or break easily. I'm sure there are exceptions... Well maybe....

I agree. I wouldn't buy anything from Harbor freight that has moving parts.

Maybe invest in a gym membership with a personal trainer will be best, once covid eases in all honesty.

They will teach you how to lift with your legs, stretches and keeping you back strong.
I have a terrible back (born with a bad back), but keeping it strong and limber helps immensely.

While many folks like to think of themselves as Hercules, it can actually be dangerous when very old.
When old the bones are weaker.
I know an old guy who was in good shape, he was fixing his garage and lifted a 5 gallon pail of salt. Something cracked/snapped in his back.

Doc later said he had compression fractures of the spine. It has really crippled him and is permanent.

Figuring out a mechanical lift is probably a good idea

I've been the physical therapy route, and it really helped and I do some core exercises/stretches at least 2x a day without fail (the only exercise I stick to, because I know the consequences of not doing it). But it is no guarantee, because there is something up with my back, and it's not bad enough for me to want to pursue surgery (if I'm even a candidate, haven't gone through that level of testing). And past 65, things aren't going to get better.

As an example, and part of what got me thinking about this (the other part is we are looking to move, and I'm thinking about how to set up the brewery/winery in a new home) is the recent snow storm. We have a plow service for our large driveway, but I shovel the walk, and do a bit of clean up from driveway to walk. I was *very* careful, lifting with my legs, never arching my back, and I was fine. It was pretty deep and pretty heavy snow. I just took my time, was careful, and all was good. Two days later, a little more snow, and some drifting, so I go out and clean up again. And again, I'm careful, no problem. Then, just as I'm finishing, I look and think "I should scrape that little patch so no one slips on it", and since this involved no lifting, I just pushed the shovel toward that patch to scrape it, didn't really think about my form since it seemed like such a nothing move, and WHAM! - a surge of pain strikes my lower back, I drop the shovel, curse, and manage to get back in the house and crawl on the floor so I can try to stretch it out. I got it iced, and I'm recovering pretty quickly this time, but it hurts to even look at a 50 pound weight right now, and probably for a few more weeks. Fortunately, my son and son-in-law will be here Saturday, so I have a list of things for them to do, if DW can't handle it.

So yes, I want/need some mechanical help. Hiring someone makes sense, but sometimes you just want to do it on your own schedule and not feel so dependent on others.

Similar to Sunset's story, my Aunt(RIP) just lifted the bed a bit to shift it to vacuum under it, and crushed her spine and was in immense pain for years, until a friend found a surgeon who was able to help her. A friend of mine has a series of back problems, and doctors have said the surgery might help, but has a pretty significant chance of leaving him worse off. So I'd rather avoid these issues if I can, to the degree I can ( no guarantees in life).

-ERD50

Two days later, a little more snow, and some drifting, so I go out and clean up again.

It's possible I'd do the same in that situation, but I don't think two days between resistance activities that work the same muscles is enough recovery time, even for regularly working out a body part. At the very least, I pay close attention to any sharp pain in the center of my back and I wouldn't shovel if there is any. A duller pain that's not isolated to the center doesn't scare me as much but I like to think I still wouldn't shovel with it.

I once felt a slight pain by my spine and did some shadow boxing to see how bad it is, then put all my weight awkwardly on an envelope to compress it and did some other weird stuff and my back went out in the bathroom. No more testing the severity of spine pain for me.

It's possible I'd do the same in that situation, but I don't think two days between resistance activities that work the same muscles is enough recovery time, even for regularly working out a body part. At the very least, I pay close attention to any sharp pain in the center of my back and I wouldn't shovel if there is any. A duller pain that's not isolated to the center doesn't scare me as much but I like to think I still wouldn't shovel with it.

I once felt a slight pain by my spine and did some shadow boxing to see how bad it is, then put all my weight awkwardly on an envelope to compress it and did some other weird stuff and my back went out in the bathroom. No more testing the severity of spine pain for me.

I agree that things seem to be cumulative, and the fact I shoveled two days prior was a factor.

But how do I deal with this? Since I was careful the first day, I felt absolutely no pain, no ache, no stiffness, nothing. So there was not much reason for me to think I'd be worse off doing that little clean up two days later.

But I'll be super careful during this recovery period. I'm feeling pretty good, but I can feel it, so I won't even think about lifting anything heavy until I feel confident (probably several weeks/months). When I was using 50# bags of water softener salt, I'd do one one day, and one a few days later, just to reduce the cumulative effects. For now, I'll focus on keeping moving and keeping loose and flexible.

I think part of my good progress this time is that I've been taking my time getting out of bed. I'm always stiff after laying all night, and I would try to get out of bed and on the floor to do my stretches. But I'd often strain my back again getting out of bed. So now, I'm taking time and just moving my hips a little bit for a while, and when that feels OK, move a little further, a little more each time, but avoid moving far enough to feel any pain/strain. Over the course of 10 minutes or so, I have gained a lot of flexibility, and at that point getting out of bed carefully is pretty easy w/o any strain.

-ERD50

I agree. I wouldn't buy anything from Harbor freight that has moving parts.

Harbor Freight is useful when you need a tool that you will use one time and rarely use after that first time. Why waste a lot of money for a quality tool that won't get used. I bought a paint sprayer to spray the hood of my son's car. It worked great for that one job, haven't used it since. Bought a metal break when I was doing some metal trim work, worked great, haven't used it since, but I can see me using it again. I make good use of my analog dial calipers, they are cheap enough that I can abuse them, scribbling lines for cutting.
Harbor Freight fills a need for me, but yes, there are some items I wouldn't buy there.

I recently replaced a heavy (over 60 lbs) chamber vacuum sealer with a lighter one.

Didn't want to hurt myself taking the sealer off the counter top so had to use different levels of placement. Took sealer off countertop about a foot lower to a workbench. The from there to a level lower to a printer stand. Then to the box on the floor. My back said thanks :).

I'm always surprised by how many folks go out of their way to rag on Harbor Freight. I have actually been impressed with most of the tools that I've purchased there.

I've bought all kinds of tools from HF over the years and only a couple of them let me down. I've had good luck with their nail guns, staplers, micro grinder, sliding miter saw, radial arm drill press, all of their Pittsburg brand ratchets & socket sets, handheld power planer, pocketscrew jig, both corded & cordless pole saws, etc.

The only tool that I recall letting me down was an orbital sander. I recently fried a battery pack on a discontinued model & they don't sell the replacements anymore, so that's a bit of a bummer.

Their air fittings are cheap. I wouldn't buy drill bits or air compressors from HF. I'll admit some of their stuff isn't top quality, but those things are usually easy to identify.

I'm always surprised by how many folks go out of their way to rag on Harbor Freight. I have actually been impressed with most of the tools that I've purchased there.

Agreed. Harbor Freight hand tool quality and price are generally as good or better than most other places. In fact, quite a few other places are just the same tools with a "brand" nameplate on instead and double the price.. :facepalm:

I haven't bought a lot of complicated machinery at HF so I can't comment on that. I will say I bought my drill press there and that thing is great and was wayy cheaper than anywhere else and is still going many years later.

It's much like shopping anywhere else. Know your prices, know your features, know your quality. Otherwise you'll get taken at HF or elsewhere.

Great topic, ERD50! This is constantly on my mind. Good stuff here.

Hey, I want to say to those who think exercise cures all... please walk in some of our shoes. Some of us have structural spine issues with bone spurs, arthritis, etc. It is just best for us to be very aware of lifting and avoiding much of it.

The "dolly lift" device works well in server labs. Otherwise, it is too limited. It is perfect for lifting heavy computer equipment into racks.

The lift table is pretty cool, but bulky. I'd love one of those if I had the room. I may make the room.

One of the best items I bought since back surgery was a hand truck. I use it to roll almost everything around, even 2 gal cans of paint. It is essential for my gardening chores. I just scoot under bags of soil, or plant containers, and move them everywhere. My lifting mostly consists of just nudging the item up.

Finally, Harbor Freight. I probably wouldn't buy a jack or lift from them. But I've had good luck with their cheap tools! I bought an oscillating saw back in 2012 with the thought if I like it, I'll get a quality name later. 9 years later it is still running fine. For tools you use a few times a year, they are especially good as try-outs.

We bought a Harbor Freight's mini lathe for some metal working when I was working. It fulfilled it's purpose and I got it when the business closed. It was damaged in a hurricane and I sold t cheap. I will buy a better one in the future as it did have some quality issues. I also bought my drill press there, I would either buy elsewhere or buy a different model. It will only drill about 2" deep and there is no stop on the travel. It works, but I'm disappointed I don't see those details before I bought it.
I did buy a HF 12V air compressor that was total crap, I should have returned it as soon as it broke.

Last edited:
I live a few miles up the road from Harbor Freight's home office and have been shopping there for 30+ years. Yes, they sell some crappy tools, but the thing is, everybody else does too now.

30 years ago HF was unusual in supplying Chinese made cheap tools while most hardware store or Sears tools were still made in the US and generally of higher quality. In the ensuing decades the quality of Chinese manufacturing has increased considerably and globalization has led most of the domestic tool brands to offshore their manufacturing. So the playing field is much more level than it used to be.

So yes, you can find some pretty lousy tools at Harbor Freight, but these days you're just as likely to find the same at Ace, Sears, Home Depot or anywhere else selling mass market tools at bargain prices.

I like Harbor Freight tools in general. The switches on their angle grinders are weak.
If the OP can get a patient lift used or even a new one it would have the bigger wheels and is made to get around a house. It doesn't have the capacity to pick up an engine but would probably suit the need. OP might also find its intended purpose useful.

Great topic, ERD50! This is constantly on my mind. Good stuff here.

Hey, I want to say to those who think exercise cures all... please walk in some of our shoes. Some of us have structural spine issues with bone spurs, arthritis, etc. It is just best for us to be very aware of lifting and avoiding much of it.

Yes, yes, yes! I’ve been watching this thread for ideas as well. At 50, I already have some bad back stuff going on that in spite of exercise and PT has had me completely sidelined for months. It’s so frustrating. I have no interest in making anything worse, so am being super careful about lifting so I can continue to do the things I enjoy for a long time. I too am worried about those kegs! :)

One of my mantras is everything on wheels. If it’s in the garage, I want it on wheels so I can easily move things. We have a bunch of furniture dollies we bought on Amazon that are sturdy and were fairly cheap. We use these a lot for moving the kegs, though they don’t manage doorways very well. And pushing them also involves being bent over which isn’t a great position.

Yes, yes, yes! I’ve been watching this thread for ideas as well. At 50, I already have some bad back stuff going on that in spite of exercise and PT has had me completely sidelined for months. It’s so frustrating. I have no interest in making anything worse, so am being super careful about lifting so I can continue to do the things I enjoy for a long time. I too am worried about those kegs! :)

One of my mantras is everything on wheels. If it’s in the garage, I want it on wheels so I can easily move things. We have a bunch of furniture dollies we bought on Amazon that are sturdy and were fairly cheap. We use these a lot for moving the kegs, though they don’t manage doorways very well. And pushing them also involves being bent over which isn’t a great position.

A hand truck is the proper tool for moving kegs. :cool:

Not quite the same, but we have an attic in our garage that is great for storage. The problem is the stairs are steep with no handrails. No way could we carry things up and down without risk of serious injury or more likely death. So I found a product called a Versa Lift. I think I paid about $1,800 9 years ago plus the cost of installation. It was money well spent.

https://www.amazon.com/Versa-Lift-2...956445&sprefix=versa+lift,aps,347&sr=8-2&th=1

Not quite the same, but we have an attic in our garage that is great for storage. The problem is the stairs are steep with no handrails. No way could we carry things up and down without risk of serious injury or more likely death. So I found a product called a Versa Lift. I think I paid about $1,800 9 years ago plus the cost of installation. It was money well spent.

https://www.amazon.com/Versa-Lift-2...956445&sprefix=versa+lift,aps,347&sr=8-2&th=1

That's neat! and expensive. I hung a pulley from a rafter above the attic opening when I needed to put some heavy items up there. It has no mechanical advantage, but, at least I'm not on a ladder trying to carry a heavy item. I also have back issues.

I got a hydraulic invalid hoist from a friend who could occasionally get one being surplused from the hospital he worked at. IIRC it has a 300 pound lift capacity, and separates into two sections so it can be stored away or put in a car trunk. I use it in the garage and it is very handy for lifting a m/c engine or large vise or similar "not as easy to lift as it used to be" item. The invalid hoist doesn't have the capacity of an engine hoist, but it is more compact and weighs less, so you might watch for one to come up for sale on CL.

some of my "hobbies involve 5~6 gallons (beer/wine) in bulk containers"

I don't know about the mini cranes and lift trucks but I sure do like your hobbies. If you invite me over I'd be glad to help you lift and consume those 6 gallon beers :dance:

And to think I complain when my wife asks me to move her Kitchenaid mixer 10 feet.

That thing's heavy enough for me.

Yamagonna go back east some time (don know when) hit Detroit, Boston, but if you get a good batch of brew in stock, maybe you'll invite me to drink a gallon or 2.

:)

I wonder if you could assemble your own lift from various components, or have a handyman construct you one.

How about a collapsible tripod, with a block and tackle hanging down from the center of the tripod, or maybe a motorized pulley block like a winch, with the motor powered by a wall socket with a switch to hoist up or let down. Attach wide rubber wheels on the tripod so it can be moved around easily if needed, on carpet, or outside.

The tripod would function like this, but smaller/lighter and with less lifting capacity required (this one can lift 1 ton):
https://www.cisco-eagle.com/catalog...od-gantry-crane-1-ton-cap-13-9-max-lifting-ht

Lightweight Pulleys:
https://www.amazon.com/TooTaci-Pulley-Swivel-Hanging-Stainless/dp/B07TLW9HHZ/

Hoist:
https://www.amazon.com/Locking-Hoist-Bullseye-Outdoors-Pulley/dp/B084GGRKR6/

Last edited:
I wonder if you could assemble your own lift from various components, or have a handyman construct you one. ...

I am leaning towards a DIY, for flexibility. Nothing more than a rough idea now, but thinking about taking one of those Costco Trinity carts, and replacing two casters with larger wheels to make it easier to get over a door or rug transition. Then with boards at the top rack extending ~ 18" past those bigger wheels, with a pipe/crank mounted across that, and a cable/hook and maybe a platform for a lift - that might even be simpler/cheaper than trying to fit in some kind of winch.

With a sliding platform/drawer at the bottom rack, I could lift something, slide out the platform/drawer and drop it down, then slide it in to roll it around, w/o it hanging over the edge.

But maybe a winch mounted somewhere I plan to do lifting - a combo might make sense.

I appreciate all the ideas people are giving.

-ERD50

With a sliding platform/drawer at the bottom rack, I could lift something, slide out the platform/drawer and drop it down, then slide it in to roll it around, w/o it hanging over the edge.

How do you think the center of balance would work to prevent the cart from tipping over when it was lifting a weight on one side of the cart, before you were able to slide the bottom drawer back into the center of the cart?

How do you think the center of balance would work to prevent the cart from tipping over when it was lifting a weight on one side of the cart, before you were able to slide the bottom drawer back into the center of the cart?

Same as any other balance/lever. If an 80# weight extends 1 ft out from those wheels, I need > 20# at 4 ft back from those wheels. The weight of the cart and the extra stuff I'm adding should more than balance out the extended weight. If the rear casters want to lift, I just need to add some weight.

It definitely has to be accounted for, but it should be pretty simple, I think.

-ERD50

Back
Top Bottom