Medicare/SS payments timing

Peter

Full time employment: Posting here.
I'm currently paying Medicare B directly, since I delayed SS. In January, my SS payments will be starting, and Medicare will be subtracted. But Medicare B is payable in advance, while SS is paid in arrears, so I'm wondering how the timing works.

I'm guessing that the January Medicare subtraction from SS, paid in February, will be applied to the March Medicare billing. In that case, I will need to pay Medicare directly for January and February.

Since I'm not the first person to be in this situation, I would hoping someone on the site can speak from experience of what actually happened?

I had Medicare pulled from my checking account before I applied for SS. When I started SS at FRA, they switched to withholding Medicare from the SS payment. You are right about the timing issue though. They ended up pulling a Medicare payment from my checking in the same month that the SS started, so they double billed me ! They settled up about a month later by sending me a check for the extra Medicare payment.

Last edited:
It worked as it should for me. First SS check had the deduction covering the previous month, and I only paid for the month before that.

As long as you talk to the SS folks early enough, it should work as designed.

Three SS people told me three options (pay full quarterly invoice, pay one month, pay nothing). I picked pay only one month because I was worried that I'd not be covered that first month, or go into Medicare part B limbo or something. I think they owe me for that, as DH was told to pay nothing and it worked out fine. I started actually receiving SS in September.

Thanks to all for the responses!

It worked as it should for me. First SS check had the deduction covering the previous month, and I only paid for the month before that.

Ah, I think that answers the question. It sounds as if my first payment in February will have the January deduction. In other words, the payment month and the deduction month will be the same. So I don't need to pay the bill for January, which I've just received. (I'm sending them a check every month at the moment.)

I think they give you a month or two grace period anyway, so if it doesn't work this way I'll just have to make up the missed payment later.

I had Medicare pulled from my checking account before I applied for SS. When I started SS at FRA, they switched to withholding Medicare from the SS payment. You are right about the timing issue though. They ended up pulling a Medicare payment from my checking in the same month that the SS started, so they double billed me ! They settled up about a month later by sending me a check for the extra Medicare payment.

That's how I recall it happening to me.

Back
Top Bottom