Melatonin

I've always wondered how these medications would fare in a double-blind placebo test administered by spouses or family members.

I'm not sure that the melatonin I've been taking nightly is really doing anything. For a while, I thought it helped. Now I don't think it helps at all. Maybe I should take a break from it, but I almost need it to take it as a signal that I am going to try to go to sleep in 30 to 60 minutes.

Apparently, some melatonin products are worthless because of a lack of quality control (not required like prescription drugs). Consumer Labs analyzes a variety of vitamins and supplements. You have to pay to join to get the full report on the 30 melatonin products they tested, but here are a few that passed:

ConsumerLab.com - Melatonin Supplements review

I use it. I workout 1hr a day and take care of myself. I just have a tough time sleeping - just a worrier I guess. I used to take tylanol PM and that worked too. For me Melatonin has no side affects, is natural and inexpensive - a no brainer!

Taking 2 - 3 mg. Melatonin pills does not seem to affect my ability to get out of bed to go to the restroom, since someone asked.
The biggest thing is to NOT allow light to get into your eyes. That wakes you up. I just keep my eyes squinted throughout the whole trip from bed to potty and back...and go right back to nighty-night when I hit that bed. Again, I like Melatonin for myself.

I've always wondered how these medications would fare in a double-blind placebo test administered by spouses or family members.

Well, not administered by your chosen researchers, but there have been some double-blind studies of melatonin: Google Scholar search. From a summary paper: "Nine of the ten trials found that melatonin, taken close to the target bedtime at the destination (10pm to midnight), decreased jet-lag from flights crossing five or more time zones."

Similar studies for its use as a sleep aid can be found by searching on "melatonin sleep".

None of this is to say it works for everyone. These are statistical results -- e.g., it's true to say that men are taller than women on average, but you can't use that fact to conclude that the wife is always shorter than the husband (see Dennis Kucinich).

Good point about light

Orchidflower's post reminded me of something else I had read: to make sure that in the evening that no light is more than about 40W, and less is preferable. I think that may have a big impact for some people. I think that the light from the television also messes up my sleep.

Robert the Red has a good point that basically different things work for different people. And I've found that at different times different things work for me.

I'm glad to know that my experience with Melatonin sort of lines up with other peoples - that it doesn't "drug" me to sleep, that it doesn't always work, and that it is only one component (i.e. light, relaxation) in the equation of a good night's rest.

I use melatonin when traveling overseas to re-adjust to the time zones. It does help with the jet lag. I take it the once few nights in the new time zone and it helps me get my sleep cycle back in sync.

I USE turkey for the taste of turkey. ... go figure. :eek:

Back
Top Bottom