Microsoft workers to pay part of health care in 2013

This is very true at my company; the ages of our core engineering staff run from 45 to 65. Even recent hires have fallen into this range because our work load demands experienced people.

+1

So true. We just hired a 50 year old engineer for his experience and intelligence.

Microsoft's growth has slowed. While they are still on very solid footing, they are facing increased competition. Some of their cash cow products will experience increased competition on the consumer and business sides of their business.

It is a bit of a sign that they are going to have to tighten up and watch their money a bit closer. The days of investors throwing money at them are over... and there are many new competitors springing up.

MS workers will no longer be getting rich off of options (like the old days).

FYI...

1. Microsoft just posted (all time) record EPS

2. They have $46 BILLION dollars of cash, they don't need investors to give them anything

3. They don't give options anymore, it is now restricted stock

FYI...

2. They have $46 BILLION dollars of cash, they don't need investors to give them anything

It probably has a profit margin in the high 20s also. While people focus on oil and health ins. profit $; I think both have profit margins around 8%.

It probably has a profit margin in the high 20s also. While people focus on oil and health ins. profit $; I think both have profit margins around 8%.

It is heck of lot cheaper to buy fast computers, stock the fridge with sodas, and energy drinks than buying off shore oil rigs, or conducting FDA clinical trials.

It is heck of lot cheaper to buy fast computers, stock the fridge with sodas, and energy drinks than buying off shore oil rigs, or conducting FDA clinical trials.

Poing taken, but you're forgetting the cost of human capital. It takes a lot of $$$ to employ people skilled enough to design new operating systems and other types of software. Especially why you have to compete with other cash rich software companies.

I'm pretty sure employees of Microsolft won't get much poorer if they have to pay for their health insurance. Plus those premiums paid are pre-tax $$.

Microsoft workers to pay part of health care in 2013 | Beyond Binary - CNET News

The company didn't go into details on what exactly employees will have to pay, but said there will be a maximum amount that workers will have to pay both individually and as a family. Microsoft currently pays 100 percent of the cost of coverage for workers as well as for a spouse or domestic partner and children.

++++
Reboot

This could be a small step toward decoupling health insurance with employment. More and more companies paying less or even dropping health coverage as a benefit. If the Federal Government starts moving in this direction, it could be the final blow for employer based heath care coverage.

Someone has to train all the new hires in India... :)

So true. That was the straw that broke this 53 yr old back when they sent me to India.

I watched a good movie this year on an experience I really related to, as it was Mumbai that I was sent to. Although I had a very good experience I'm afraid it was not for me.

Outsourced

FYI...

Owned it for along time... cashed out years ago.

They have several cash cows that throw off a lot of money. Big profit to revenue ratio.

But that is priced in the stock.

They have increased competition and not much new growth.

Keep in mind for a company that large to see meaningful growth... it has to be a huge business opportunity with big growth potential.

Perhaps they can pull off the move Apple did (without the financial troubles)... and reinvigorate growth with some new products or services.

Right now... they are beginning to look like a large company with "Me Too" products.

So true. That was the straw that broke this 53 yr old back when they sent me to India.

I watched a good movie this year on an experience I really related to, as it was Mumbai that I was sent to. Although I had a very good experience I'm afraid it was not for me.

Outsourced

And now it's a TV show.
Outsourced

We paid a small amount of the medical premium with Megacorp. Over the years, the amount kept increasing. Now that DH is retired, we pay nothing for his insurance, but pay $230 a month for me.

It will be interesting to see if there are any changes at enrollment time this year...

We just enrolled today. We kept the same plan as last year. Fortunately the coverage and deductibles did not change, however the premium increased 20% for next year's coverage.

I'm just grateful we still have insurance.

Have just finished studying the paperwork for our 2011 coverage. We are staying on the same plan and feel fortunate that the only increase seems to be 10% for the premiums. Copays etc. look to be the same.

DH works for a megacorp in tech and they certainly don't pick up the tab for full healthcare. Even if we were on the lowest level HMO we would be dipping into out pockets. Think the days of any company providing total coverage out of their till is long gone.

DH's retiree health insurance premiums just increased 56 percent for the same coverage.

The caveat has always been that megacorp can cancel retiree health insurance at any time, so we're thinking they reduced their subsidy as well as the rates going up.

Just got our open enrollment info as well.

We both work for big IT companies and while the per pay period cost stayed the same, the plan that we were in has been dropped so we switched to a high deductible plan.

It will cost us $150 per pay period or $3900/year to have a high deductible ($3,000 / family) Health Plus Savings Plan. Once the deductible is met all expenses are paid 100%.

And this is a subsidized rate so I can't even imagine what this plan would cost on the open market unsubsidized.

We got our enrollment forms this week as well. Going up from $80/month for DW and myself to $213/month. $500 deductible, $30 co-pay at Dr office.

I talked with a retiree friend from the same company yesterday and he is livid about the huge increase, but I assured him that we have been incredibly fortunate this last 4 years with what we have been paying and that even the new rates are incredibly good. Those that are still working at the company also have an FSA available so they can pay their premiums etc. with pre-tax money.

Back
Top Bottom