Microwave Fire Cleanup

pc95

Recycles dryer sheets
My wife decided to put parchment paper around a yam and microwave for 5 mins....well toward the end she reported the paper/yam on fire and smoke emitting from microwave vent followed by fire-alarm triggering on. She tried cleanup of the resulting mess the same day with water/baking soda, but failed to neutralize the smell.
The next day we employed vinegar/water steaming with the microwave, and then later rubbing alcohol on the interior which really helped remove the interior soot/smoke stains at least. However, on the third day here after wash down with soap and of surrounding cupboards and multiple vinegar steams, and stains, the visual stains have been 95% cleaned, but the smoke odor has only marginally gone down. We tried 4 different subsequent 5-min vinegar steams. I'm worried the smoke is trapped in the venting/innards. The microwave is set into the stove area on top, so I cannot pull out easily. The charcoal smell actually seems worse about 10 ft from the microwave which is odd. Are Vinegar steams day after day the best way to neutralize? I'd rather not hire pros as its only been 2-3 days, but if the smell persists after a few more days I may investigate.

The microwave has a vent fan, and sure enough when turned on the charcoal smell is still fairly strong when blowing. Any remedies besides vinegar or baking soda for odor neutralization? Will the smell dissipate over time without aid?

Thanks....

That might work. I know that an ozone generator will get rid of smoke smell. My dad would run one every year or two to get rid of the fireplace smell in his family room. Just not sure how to get it to work inside the microwave or the vents associated with it.

I know someone who owns a disaster recovery firm and they use the ozone machines for smoke.

I try to repair things whenever possible, but...

If this is an over-the-range microwave, I would pull it out, and put it outside for the next garbage pickup day. It's just not worth the effort to save. There are all sorts of places tucked away in the innards, the cooling fins of the magnetron, the stirrer, etc. etc. that probably have residue.
And if this is one of those sorry contraptions, the over-the-range microwave with "vent fan", then there are even more places.

If this is an over-the-range microwave, I would pull it out, and put it outside for the next garbage pickup day. It's just not worth the effort to save. There are all sorts of places tucked away in the innards, the cooling fins of the magnetron, the stirrer, etc. etc. that probably have residue.
And if this is one of those sorry contraptions, the over-the-range microwave with "vent fan", then there are even more places.

Thanks for the input, and I had forgotten to mention another wrinkle, we don't own the microwave, but the landlord would hold us liable for it certainly and no argument there. Aside from the odor, I'm not seeing any other damage, and it operates fine. Issue replacing is finding the same sized unit. One decision could be cost of professional cleaners vs cost of new microwave/installation. I would think the cleaners would cost more and no guarantee of neutralizing the odor. Amazing the smoke/odor off one yam w/ parchment paper. I do notice an uptick in smoke-odor when turning the vent fan on.

Suffice to say I've had to 'bite my tongue' (hard) to not scold. I'm one of those people who don't need or even really like my food scalding. Moderately hot or just above warm is good enough for me, and so this goes squarely against my sensibility with using it. Anyway, it happened; must clean up.

It takes time. Years ago a somewhat space-cadet coworker put a muffin in the office microwave and pushed the preset "Muffin" button and walked away. It caught fire. The teeny-tiny print on the front of the microwave said that setting was for 4 muffins. There was so much smoke the people in the office next door called the fire department but no harm done to the microwave.

Yeah, it took awhile for the smell to dissipate.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input, and I had forgotten to mention another wrinkle, we don't own the microwave, but the landlord would hold us liable for it certainly and no argument there. Aside from the odor, I'm not seeing any other damage, and it operates fine. Issue replacing is finding the same sized unit. One decision could be cost of professional cleaners vs cost of new microwave/installation. I would think the cleaners would cost more and no guarantee of neutralizing the odor. Amazing the smoke/odor off one yam w/ parchment paper. I do notice an uptick in smoke-odor when turning the vent fan on.

Suffice to say I've had to 'bite my tongue' (hard) to not scold. I'm one of those people who don't need or even really like my food scalding. Moderately hot or just above warm is good enough for me, and so this goes squarely against my sensibility with using it. Anyway, it happened; must clean up.
Probably won’t be a popular opinion, but if you’re renting and likely to move, I would let time take its course. Get a good candle and light it daily.

Probably won’t be a popular opinion, but if you’re renting and likely to move, I would let time take its course. Get a good candle and light it daily.

I don’t know about how popular it is, but I was thinking the same thing. Only thing I don’t know is how sensitive the OP or his DW is to the smell. It may never completely go away, but it should dissipate over time.

Agree, and even in a rental situation, a microwave is almost always the cheapest appliance to replace. If the OP has costco, they will install and deliver in the price, and if for any reason it doesn't fit, they will take it back, unlike some other big box places.

ETA: I would not want to cook food in it again, especially if there are some special cleaners used in the process.

The smell of smoke is lipid soluble, i.e. dissolves into grease. If there is grease buildup inside the internal vents of your microwave, the smell is likely to hang out there. Probably the only thing you can do is disassemble the thing and clean out the vent ducts. Or, just wait for it to dissipate over time.

Here's an idea, cook bacon every day. You won't notice the microwave smell.

Try a lemon juice/baking soda scrub inside the microwave. Rinse well.
Then lemon juice/cinnamon stick in water, boil and let steam in the microwave, keep the fan running. Repeat a few times every day.
If you can, run the vent fan continuously, and light a candle or boil some cinnamon/lemon/orange peel on the stove for odor control..
The ozium would work as a spray in the kitchen.
I don't think it is meant for spraying in the microwave.

Good luck.
We had a minor fire in our kitchen (right after remodel!) years ago. If I recall, it took several weeks for the smoke smell to completely dissipate.

Thanks for replies, we used wetted coffee grounds, and they've seemed to have helped (or the smell is 'naturally' dissipating anyway).....the smell is now local to the microwave within a couple feet and slowly fading.

We will probably keep cycling grounds in there for the next week. Microwave is functioning fine - amazing the smell intensity from 1 yam burned. Good thing we don't have a dog in this case.

Back
Top Bottom