Midyear Results 2008

MSMoney sez investments -4.77% {sure feels worse than that} at 6/30 but net worth shows $1,150,000 at year end and $1,157,000 now.

Sold business interest at year end and instead of throwing it in the market, bought a nice little second home {where we'll eventually retire} that appraised out at $30,000 more than I paid. That plus plowing money into investments come hell or high water.

Whoot!!!! :LOL:

Annualized return 6/30 ytd -3.36%
Hedge funds, inflation sensitive assets saving the portfolio so far

. Is YTD (1-1-08 thru 6-30-08) the same thing as annualized?
. Including contributions made during the reporting period kind of polutes YTD return.

I calculate my ytd including monthly contributions using the Excel IRR function, and it is -6.7%

YTD 6/30 approx -6.0%. DCA'ing large amounts from 2007 into a 70/30 allocation. Accelerated the investments when the S&P crossed under 1275. Almost done.

+2.4% but I admit I'll miss the ride if things take off from here, I'm not heavily invested

I calculate my ytd including monthly contributions using the Excel IRR function, and it is -6.7%

I was not fully aware of the Excel IRR function before seeing it mentioned in this thread.

Have been trying to get a ROI% between two specific dates out of Quicken and am unable to figure that one out. Quicken seems to annualize most return figures.

Have been trying to get a ROI% between two specific dates out of Quicken and am unable to figure that one out. Quicken seems to annualize most return figures.
Huh? That works for me. I've checked it by hand too. You can directly copy the ROI report into a spreadsheet and see exactly how it calculates it. ROI doesn't annualize anything. IRR annualizes.

Audrey

-8% YTD
-12% from high watermark in Oct 2007

That is total of both before-tax (IRA+401k) and after-tax accounts.

My part-time income barely covers expenses, so the above numbers truly reflect investment performance.

Last edited:
Yes it's been a miserable year for DODBX hasn't it (-14% YTD). In fact, this is far worse than anything it has seen in the past 10 years. 2002 was a cake walk for DODBX - down only -2.9%, and strongly positive the years before and after.

Value oriented funds have just been taken out and shot this time.

I suppose DVY has been creamed too. All them dividend stocks and financial stocks.

Audrey

Ah hah! Another suffering owner of DODBX and DVY. "Misery loves company". We need lots of company. And we need lots of love.

"What the world needs now..." Of course, you know the TV ad with a parody of that song. Drives me insane!

All Dodge&Cox Funds were reopened last year. Obviously, the managers sensed that they would be running into trouble. I am not selling though. Too late for that.

All Dodge&Cox Funds were reopened last year. Obviously, the managers sensed that they would be running into trouble. I am not selling though. Too late for that.
They must have started having a lot of redemptions last year.

Audrey

Audrey

The other shareholders beat us out the door...

I usually do not pay much attention to my MF holdings, figuring it's their job to manage my money.
I spend a lot more time watching stocks in my own active portion.
Even then, I do not trade much. With 50% in cash right now, it is more than a lump in my mattress, it's a big BUMP. I have never been this much in cash. If I time it right, one year from now, I would be RICH. I just don't have an ouija board.

Audrey

That's my guess... because otherwise I won't be able to afford cap gains on this DODFX (foreign) fund once the balance gets to any reasonable size.

That is quite an accomplishment given the market drop. What's your secret?

Just a paltry stack of CD's. Growing everyday. :D

Just got an email from my credit union about a "bluelight" special in aisle 5. Seven month, 7% APR, $1000 limit, one to a customer. Might pick up a pair, one for me and one for DW. Her birthday is coming up. ;)

Huh? That works for me. I've checked it by hand too. You can directly copy the ROI report into a spreadsheet and see exactly how it calculates it. ROI doesn't annualize anything. IRR annualizes.

Audrey

OK. Sorry for generating a "Huh?". I've educated myself ...

Just a paltry stack of CD's. Growing everyday. :D

Just got an email from my credit union about a "bluelight" special in aisle 5. Seven month, 7% APR, $1000 limit, one to a customer. Might pick up a pair, one for me and one for DW. Her birthday is coming up. ;)

did you ever ask yourself why they are offering such high rates? they could be in trouble and are offering the high rates to attract capital

Back
Top Bottom