Might buy a cheap single wide to live in while house is being built. Advice?

rmcelwee

Recycles dryer sheets
We have purchased 30 acres in Tennessee for our retirement home. I know it will take forever to get the house built so the plan is to buy an inexpensive $52,000 728 sqft single wide "trailer" and live in it for 3 years on the property while the house is built. Afterwards we will sell the single wide at a loss ( -$20,000? ). I'm thinking it would be fairly easy to sell and move a used single wide. My parents suggested a 5th wheel but I think a larger 2BR 2BA dwelling would fit our lifestyle better. There is a link below to the "trailer" we are considering which could be setup in February (the dealer has four of them on order) vs the current custom home wait time of eight months.

https://meadowshomes.com/singlewide/volunteer/

Comments?

Last edited:
I think it's a good plan. The one you linked to is very nice - same size as a two bedroom apartment.

Is it being located on your 30 acres while the house is being built, or someplace else? If it's also on your land, you could always just keep it as a guest house once the house is built.

Have you looked for a relatively new pre-owned one instead of buying new?

I haven't even come close to finding anything pre-owned. I thought it would be easy to do but I don't think they exist:confused:

If it's also on your land, you could always just keep it as a guest house once the house is built.

If local laws/zoning allow that. Where we're from near D.C. that is a huge no-no (trailers are, you know, sniff, sniff, "low class") and even if building a house on the lot a trailer cannot stay there for more than 10 months.

But since the OP is buying 30 acres the zoning issue probably won't arise and I'd think the neighbors won't care.

First, make sure that the planning department approves of the temporary dwelling. Can you keep it as a potential 'mother-in-law'?

I second the suggestion that you buy a USED unit. Remember that the retailer will make all kinds of assurances about the resale value that are BS. The depreciation on those units is significant. A 5th wheel, particularly a used one, will depreciate less IMHO and will easily be sold because moving it is not a problem, but typically the sleeping arrangements are elevated.

I think it's a good plan.
If it's also on your land, you could always just keep it as a guest house once the house is built.

My plan was always to use it as a guest house / canning "room" for my wife but she is against the idea. Something about "I don't want to clean two houses".

They're very expensive to move.
The guest home is a good idea or have you considered having it installed on a part of your property where you could sell the land with it as long as it's nowhere close to where your new home would be located?
That might be a profitable sale.

If local laws/zoning allow that. Where we're from near D.C. that is a huge no-no (trailers are, you know, sniff, sniff, "low class") and even if building a house on the lot a trailer cannot stay there for more than 10 months.

But since the OP is buying 30 acres the zoning issue probably won't arise and I'd think the neighbors won't care.

I don't have any ideas on the zoning laws but seeing as how we don't even have "neighbors" they probably don't care. Our new town is POP 2000 so DC is not a good comparison. I should still check out the laws. Thanks!

They're very expensive to move.
The guest home is a good idea or have you considered having it installed on a part of your property where you could sell the land with it as long as it's nowhere close to where your new home would be located?
That might be a profitable sale.

Hmm, I figured they would only be $1500-2000 to move but I have not checked into it. I will now. Thanks!

There is ZERO chance I will let anyone else stay on my "piece of heaven" property so selling it at a big loss is the only option we have come up with.

I haven't even come close to finding anything pre-owned. I thought it would be easy to do but I don't think they exist:confused:

Seeing those things repossessed after a year or two was a common sight in this part of the world. Could be the recent financial dust-up associated with Covid has changed that.

Moving costs depends on miles hauled. Hook up is generally included in the moving cost. I would vote for 5th wheel for your situation. Buy a container for things that can be stored hot. You can plan ventilation for container to make it little cooler.

A 5th wheel, particularly a used one, will depreciate less IMHO and will easily be sold because moving it is not a problem, but typically the sleeping arrangements are elevated.

I was thinking this as well, until I noticed they plan on living in it for three years. Nope, too small for more than a few months. Divorce is far more expensive than eating the depreciation on a new single wide.

One other thing - since you are buying new, be sure to spring for the optional roll bars!

I would suggest looking into the market for used single-wides in your area. Not necessarily to purchase one (although that would be ideal, if possible), but to get a good estimate of what your true costs of living in the home will be. If, say, you could get $40k for the trailer after 3 years instead of $30k, then I think that makes the decision a no-brainer.

Also, why do you think it will take three years to get your house built?

Good idea. But personally I would put up a 30’x50’ pole barn with a bathroom, small kitchen/studio and live out of that while building the house. Say 14’x30’ for the studio and remaining 36’x30’ for workshop and storage. This would also be perfect for storing building materials for the house.

I would suggest looking into the market for used single-wides in your area.

Also, why do you think it will take three years to get your house built?

The only used single wides I have found have been 30 year old $3,000 rat infested rust buckets or more expensive than what I am going to pay new. If I could find a nice reasonably priced used one I would jump on it. I'm assuming that because of this, a nice used unit (mine in three years) would be an easy sell.

As far as builders... I made 12 calls to builders the other day. The only two that would answer the phone or return a call told me they were booked up for the next two years. I'm guessing that a custom home in my retirement area will be very hard to get built at this point.

Good idea. But personally I would put up a 30’x50’ pole barn with a bathroom, small kitchen/studio and live out of that while building the house. Say 14’x30’ for the studio and remaining 36’x30’ for workshop and storage. This would also be perfect for storing building materials for the house.

Good idea. A friend did this a few years ago and it worked out great. Unfortunately the lead time for getting this completed is likely to be several months, compared to a Feb date for the trailer.

rmcelwee, do you have water and sewer on the property or will you be on a well and septic? Around here the lead time to get a well drilled is measured in months.

Seeing those things repossessed after a year or two was a common sight in this part of the world. Could be the recent financial dust-up associated with Covid has changed that.

Well, there you go. Finance it for 30 years and just stop paying for it when you're done. Someone comes and gets it and you're all set. :D

I can't find anyone to do the work and I can't do it when I am living 7 hours away in my current house. Too much demand on the new housing market has left only a few options. You can't get drawings or permits, you can't get supplies, etc. I've heard it takes a year to get windows and doors. My friend just bought an older home and told me he went to six different paint shops looking for a gallon of floor stain. He ended up buying a big box of samples and half pint cans and mixing them together. 2021 is not the year to be doing this. We would give up and just stay here for another few years but I want to enjoy my retirement on my new property.

rmcelwee, do you have water and sewer on the property or will you be on a well and septic? Around here the lead time to get a well drilled is measured in months.

County water, not sure how long for hookup. Will have to get septic installed. We did get a septic survey so we are good on that. Hopefully we can find people to do the work.

Yes that's pretty much all you've got to do is see what you're up against in terms of regulations, the septic system etc. for example where I'm at I can't build a auxiliary dwelling unit or a garage until I build the primary house. you probably don't have those kinds of restrictions so you could put that single wide in and later it would become your auxiliary dwelling unit.

Last edited:
In Oregon, land-use rules prohibit two dwellings on a site zoned agriculture. Do check your zoning laws. It may be possible to subdivide your property and move your 'during construction' dwelling to another location; provide power, water, and sewerage; and rent or sell the property. You really should consult a real estate lawyer in that county.

If you have a 5th wheel or trailer it will be easy to sell it when your home is complete... or use it for personal travel.

OP - Can't you rent a small house/apt within a few miles and put a cargo container on site for storage.
Sounds like rents would be cheap in your area.

Since you don't have septic or a well in, how do you expect to live on the land ?

Back
Top Bottom