$ Milestone

Jay:

Cubic Zirconia just doesn't sparkle like diamonds do!
And Jewelry is an investment....they would retain their value if I ever need to sell them!

Citrine

Try silicon carbide - higher refractive index than diamond (although slightly softer on the mohs scale). It is doubly refractive due to the combined elemental structure, but I doubt most people could see a difference with close examination even if told.

As for jewelry being an investment? All of my (very limited) second-hand experience has been massive initial depreciation followed by appreciation that significantly lags CD rates.

As for jewelry being an investment? All of my (very limited) second-hand experience has been massive initial depreciation followed by appreciation that significantly lags CD rates.

Agreed. The "it's an investment" rationale can be used to justify all sorts of dubious purchases: e.g., boats, clothing, classic sportscars, 'collectables', etc.

However, it is clear that citrine has good spending habits. We all need a few fun and frivolous things in our lives, and if she enjoys diamonds, who am I to criticize?

Agreed. The "it's an investment" rationale can be used to justify all sorts of dubious purchases: e.g., boats, clothing, classic sportscars, 'collectables', etc.

However, it is clear that citrine has good spending habits. We all need a few fun and frivolous things in our lives, and if she enjoys diamonds, who am I to criticize?

I certainly didn't intend to criticize - there's no reasonable way to, say, justify having as many bicycles as I do.

I took the comment on investment as being straight, not sarcastic. Perhaps I need to inject more humour and laughter into my life? :confused:

The idea that jewelry is an investment is a cultural thing I think....indian women are sent off to their husband's house with a lot of gold and jewels....in case anything were to happen, she could sell the pieces and live off the money.

Traditionally the attraction with diamonds or even precious metals is that when the invading army is approaching you can gather your wealth and flee. Some believe that diamonds and precious metals have universal value wherever you may have to go.

Try to do that with your investment properties, stock certificates/mutual funds, or your bank CD's

Traditionally the attraction with diamonds or even precious metals is that when the invading army is approaching you can gather your wealth and flee. Some believe that diamonds and precious metals have universal value wherever you may have to go.

Try to do that with your investment properties, stock certificates/mutual funds, or your bank CD's

I did all right with my bank and investment accounts when I fled New Orleans just before Katrina made landfall. But then, maybe you were thinking of some destination more remote than Huntsville and then Troy, Alabama, where I ended up.

(More remote than Troy, Alabama? What am I saying? LOL)

Citrine- Congratulations on hitting 3 multiples and your maxing of both retirement accounts. Filling both accounts worked well for me. You are past the hard part, so from here on it is the same, but easier. You will get to FI/RE while your co-workers are still refinancing their homes for a new car. Why pay interest when the same money could go to retirement savings, it is just a different choice.

Congratulations!! It really is awesome!!

(I'll be 32 next year but am nowhere near! Okay, I also live on another continent, but still.. Very impressive.)

& Hello from a fellow wanna-be artist!
(You're ahead of me too, with the studio and the exhibition!)

P.S. A documentary on TV said that diamonds are still the quickest and easiest way to carry a lot of money abroad (it was about smugglers in Africa, but still.. ;) )

Rewarding yourself with them upon your FIRE day seems quite appropriate! (as long as you keep 'em insured, I suppose!)

Thanks Freeline.....I sold all of my furniture and use my apartment for the studio....great tax deductions at the end of the year!
It is kind of nice to not have much furniture or things to take care of.....very liberating!

Wow! Inspiring!!

But I guess you don't sleep in the studio, but elsewere-?

Back
Top Bottom