Millennials-Advice to break through the road blocks of high cost of education

I've been playing with the idea of universities in Manila, but we are 7 - 8 years away. Many factors to consider major, student, health, etc. but cost for tuition, room and board, airfare may be less than $10k a year.

It would also serve as a RE location for us for 4 - 6 years ;-) A good launch point for other Asian countries for various trips for the parents while the kids at university. :D

We have an additional incentive that we offered DS. We'll give him 25% for any scholarship money that he earns. This is for scholarships he has to apply for, not merit scholarships that he automatically receives.

25% is generous, but we wanted him to have a lot of motivation. The way we look at it, we still save 75% and it gives him spending money while at college.

We have an additional incentive that we offered DS. We'll give him 25% for any scholarship money that he earns. This is for scholarships he has to apply for, not merit scholarships that he automatically receives.

25% is generous, but we wanted him to have a lot of motivation. The way we look at it, we still save 75% and it gives him spending money while at college.

I like the idea! The scholarships are all small $1000 or so a piece, and I would question the time investment. However to children it could be much higher return on investment then working at minimum wage.:dance:

My youngest grandson who is admittedly quite gifted, graduated last year from the Illinois Math and Science Academy... "IMSA".

Your grandson is extremely lucky and also extremely talented. A lot of resources high powered folks that are involved at IMSA. Kind of a funny story - was at the state science fair(s) and I am always in awe of the projects that the kids from IMSA do. My kids went/go to a small, rural school district. Science fair project are the typical, e.g. the Stroop effect, etc. Sponsor for the project was Mom and Dad.

The IMSA students are the ones whose projects are something like isolating the gene that predisposes someone to skin cancer. Their sponsor was Dr. XYZ, Nobel Prize winner from University of Chicago.

Having said that, I am glad that this school was set up and we are looking at the best and brightest and getting to them early. Only good things can happen.

COngrats and good luck to your grandson.

Back
Top Bottom