Millennials Say They'd Give Up Their Cars Before Their Computers or Cell Phones

Midpack

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Those crazy kids...

Interesting differences between generations. Us old folks (all generations actually) value PCs, but we haven't picked up on (smart) phones so far - no revelation.

According to those results, which are based on a national online survey of 1,015 adults, cars are the most prized piece of technology (at least among those offered here) among every age group but the under-35s. Our other big takeaway from this report: No one cares about the lonely TV any more.

Millennials Say They'd Give Up Their Cars Before Their Computers or Cell Phones - Emily Badger - The Atlantic Cities

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
I'd barely fit into the low end (34 years old) but I've never owned a car in my life (i rent one if I need one, or take a cab), though I probably drive once a week or so for work. I'd certainly agree with the survey, though given another year or two, and you might be able to get a smartphone with a keyboard adapter that would work just fine for 80% or so of a computer replacement...

At this point in my life, I actually agree with the crazy kids.

Yup, in that group.

Phone, no, my computer fills 99.9% of the functions of phones. Giving up cars for it would be sort of like giving up a car because I need to read the newspaper.

Computers on the other hand, definitely. I'd give up more than just a car too. I'd probably give up a meal a day, electricity (except for the computer and router), indoor plumbing, and most of the other hallmarks of civilization before I would give up on computers (and the Internet).

Last edited:
Given that choice, I'd use my car to drive to the library and use the computers there. I need the car for hurricane evacuations, duh?

Those crazy kids...

Interesting differences between generations. Us old folks (all generations actually) value PCs, but we haven't picked up on (smart) phones so far - no revelation.

Sounds about right. I've got to keep my cars. Computers are pretty high on my list of "things to keep" too. However, cell phones would be near the bottom of my list and smart phones (even though I had several when I worked) wouldn't even make my list. :yuk:

I guess I would miss you folks and a number of websites that I visit for good information but I wouldn't want to give up my car or motorcycles until I can't drive/ride anymore. I would want a cell phone in the car for emergencies so the computer would be the first to go. But as W2R said there is always the library.

Cheers!

Sounds about right. I've got to keep my cars. Computers are pretty high on my list of "things to keep" too. However, cell phones would be near the bottom of my list and smart phones (even though I had several when I worked) wouldn't even make my list. :yuk:

For me, the two are interchangeable. I don't really understand when people say a computer is indispensable to them, but they don't "get" smart phones.

They are the same thing! My smart phone is a computer.

I'd rather give up my laptop than smartphone because I do all the same things on them (including reading e-r.org), but the smart phone is always with me, and gets way more use.

My total amount of talking on it per month? About 100 minutes. I'd get rid of the phone part, no problem. But it's the computer part of it I wouldn't want to get rid of.

This apparent disdain for automobiles is reflected in the decreasing percentage of young adults with driver's licenses over past 20-25yrs-

University of Michigan News Service | Fewer young, but more elderly, have driver's license

However- IMHO this may reflect self-centered demands of many next gen'ers to be chauffeured around (on another's gas $ ?) rather than driving themselves places :rolleyes:

I'm in my thirties, and a trend amongst my peers is to move closer to work and take advantage of bus/train transportation. Also, more of my friends are telecommuting. Everyone I know has a drivers license though. Those without cars do rent on occasion, or use services like Flexcar and Car2Go. I can't speak for the early twenties crowd.

SIS

Tough question...
As a geezer, even though we have alternate CCRC transport if we want it, not having a car is the emotional fear. Kind of a "nail in the coffin" loss of freedom. If y'all have parents that are nearing this point in life, you'll understand.
Hopefully we can squeeze out five or ten more years of driving, but when the time comes.... :dead:

Computer next... very important... tied with TV.

Cell Phone?.... never use it. :confused: don't know how.:blush:

Due to the fact that I don't have a smart phone - I never proceeded with company instructions to order one - I just missed a message regarding an important weekend meeting. And that's why I'll never get one as long as I'm employed!

I'm in my thirties, and a trend amongst my peers is to move closer to work and take advantage of bus/train transportation. Also, more of my friends are telecommuting. Everyone I know has a drivers license though. Those without cars do rent on occasion, or use services like Flexcar and Car2Go. I can't speak for the early twenties crowd.

SIS

Good point. I've noticed that trend in housing in most major cities- with a few exceptions (like Detroit :sick:)

I would happily give up my TV. If I lived in a large city with good public transport I would give up my car too. I agree that computers and smartphones are part of a spectrum of electronic devices and I want the ability to communicate through them, period.

I bet the folks that choose smartphone over car and can walk or use pulic transportation don't have any children.

Due to the fact that I don't have a smart phone - I never proceeded with company instructions to order one - I just missed a message regarding an important weekend meeting. And that's why I'll never get one as long as I'm employed!

Smart move. I ended up going to meetings during my vacation and on the weekends due to my stupid smart phone.

I should tell them I'm married to an Amish and I can't have electronic items at home...no more meetings on vacation, meetings on the weekend, or working while on vacation!!!

I bet the folks that choose smartphone over car and can walk or use pulic transportation don't have any children.

I have 3 little ones, and it is a tough choice between computer and car for what to give up. I'm leaning toward keeping the computer. Of course they can have my smartphone first. Neat toy and frequently useful productivity tool, but no comparison to a computer in my opinion. And tv would obviously go first. Although I would need to upgrade the 20" dual monitors on my desktop rig to have one be at least 32" (for watching movies and tv shows in HD...).

I'm thinking one reason for the car disdain is education and public messaging. When many of us 50+ somethings were growing up, the car was IT. Freedom, chick magnet, cruising platform, etc. Heck, even for the generation behind us it was a huge sub-woofer, announcing your presence around town.

However, the millennials grew up with a constant message that cars/oil/gas were bad, bad, bad. It is the carbon, ya know. And they don't announce their presence with a sub-woofer, they announce it with big Doctor Dre Beats hanging on their head. The irony of this is not lost on us from the Koss generation.

I'd keep the car, and drive to places where I can access the internet and watch TV. I tend to view the cell phone more as an emergency/safety device so anything beyond making phone calls and sending/receiving texts is, for me, an extra frill that just seems to take away more of ones time.

Back
Top Bottom