MJ Sighting!!! in Chiang Mai, Thailand

Billy

Full time employment: Posting here.
mj.jpg

Looks like ER is wearing well on MJ. He's fit, relaxed and traveling with his super duper fold-up bicycle and rides hundreds of kilometers a week! He's even got his "Long Live the King" yellow bracelet on his right wrist. Fits right in with the locals. :D

Akaisha
Author, The Adventurer's Guide to Early Retirement

:confused:? Why the face mask - do they have bad air in Thailand?

Is it just me or do Americans go out of their way to look funny?

What does a normal person - I mean a local person look like on his bike or whatever the preferred mode of transport in Chang Mai.

heh heh heh - sorry I'm drinking decaf this morning - couldn't resist. I think later I'll put on my bib overalls and take my old pickup for a Sunday drive later! :D.

Just a suggestion - - if he is over 40 and if he is going to ride very far at all, he might be well advised to change to more supportive shoes.

Had a boss down in New Orleans who biked to work in spandex(offpurple with neon green stripes), the funky bike helmut and 'bike' shoes. But hey - it was a rocket plant!

Actually now that I study the Chang Mai picture - he looks relatively stylish.

We had a bumper sticker in New Orleans - You're ugly and your Mama dresses you funny.

Considering I lived thirty years in New Orleans - I'm not sure I can tell anymore.

heh heh heh - and now back to your regularly scheduled program.

UM2, so you worked at Michoud? Neat place. For the rest of the folks, this is where the external tank for the space shuttle is made. The time I toured it I was hit by an image of 'life imitating art', it looked like a set for a James Bond movie, everything was 'simple' but huge. The buildings are so big there that employees ride bicycles to get around inside. Now they mostly use electric carts. Sorry about the thread hijack, it did have the bicycle connection. :D

yakers said:
UM2, so you worked at Michoud? Neat place. For the rest of the folks, this is where the external tank for the space shuttle is made. The time I toured it I was hit by an image of 'life imitating art', it looked like a set for a James Bond movie, everything was 'simple' but huge. The buildings are so big there that employees ride bicycles to get around inside. Now they mostly use electric carts. Sorry about the thread hijack, it did have the bicycle connection. :D

I still work there. Believe me, it isn't what you think it is. It might be OK if management wasn't generally a bunch of hopeless incompetents and nepotism and favoritism weren't rampant. Can't wait to get out of there in a few short years.

Tell him hi. And that he needs to check in once in a while so we don't worry. :)

He's looking great--suitable for the Men of ER calendar.

Yeah, nice muscles, great tan!

Thongs are the thing in Asia. Looks like he's new to wearing them, hasn't lost his tan lines from socks (and shoes). Might be OK for short bike jaunts...

Unclemick
Why the face mask - do they have bad air in Thailand?
Right now we are having the worst air quality we have experienced in Cmai. From the plane, all of Bangkok and all of Cmai were covered in an impenetrable brown haze. I was at Central Department Store/Tops the other day and city workers were passing out free face masks (!) I got 2. the one that MJ is wearing he brought from home, and has a replacement charcoal filter inside.

What does a normal person - I mean a local person look like on his bike or whatever the preferred mode of transport in Chang Mai.
Well, they mostly wear western style clothing and the younger women here are big on shoes. Mostly high heels of one sort or another. but the older women and workers wear anything in any pattern. It's not uncommon to see wild flower prints and stripes together, or two native woven patterns and mismatched colors. The wealthier women do have matched clothing and can be very stylish. I should look at their shoes more.
I don't see bicycles much - mostly motorbikes. The Thais don't prefer walking - they take local transport or own a motorbike.

Is it just me or do Americans go out of their way to look funny? We had a bumper sticker in New Orleans - You're ugly and your Mama dresses you funny. Considering I lived thirty years in New Orleans - I'm not sure I can tell anymore.
I can empathize... We have been traveling the world for 17 years now. Making a fashion statement becomes more complex when one visits capital cities on different continents. I mean... What is very 'happening' in Charlestown, Nevis, British West Indies (the island life, Mon) is not the same as what is considered sexy/attractive/cool in Paris or Caracas. ('Course then you have NYC -- just wear black but expensive perfume!) Or Milano (back to the shoes again, but far more expensive and be sure to have a decently enviable handbag) or for pete's sake Quito or Bangkok!

Myself, I just try to have a classic kelty backpack and good walking shoes. This world fashion thing has taught me countless lessons in how appearance is just that... appearance. Nothing deeper. 8)

Martha
Tell him hi. And that he needs to check in once in a while so we don't worry. He's looking great--suitable for the Men of ER calendar.
Martha,what a great idea! and he will be so pleased! Honestly. We just saw him again last night for happy hour at our 'office' and he is becoming quite mellow (for a New Yorker... )

Last year, when Billy told MJ that he was becoming very relaxed, you know, kind of losing that New York 'edge', MJ initially took offense (!!) This time when we told him how good he looked, how relaxed, tan, etc. He was very happy.

He belongs to a 21 club now... All those who survive the 21 day meditation course at Doi Sutep are part of this 21 club. MJ is 'discovering' himself! I told him I really admired his tenacity and dedication to complete the course...

Be well,
Akaisha

Billy said:
Myself, I just try to have a classic kelty backpack and good walking shoes. This world fashion thing has taught me countless lessons in how appearance is just that... appearance. Nothing deeper. 8)
Be well,
Akaisha

I know I could(or always 'thought' I could) pick out the tourists in the crowd in the French Quarter or on Canal Street when I lived in New Orleans. But I also have the impression - maybe from watching too much Rick Steves on travel that there is sort of a 'uniform' for the hard core world traveler - sounds like sensible shoes and a good backpack make a good start.

heh heh heh - the length of stay in one spot probably has lot to do with it. I always wonder whether I'm paying the tourist rate or the local rate - being kinda cheap - er ah frugal and all. :D. 8)

unclemick2 said:
I know I could(or always 'thought' I could) pick out the tourists in the crowd in the French Quarter or on Canal Street when I lived in New Orleans. But I also have the impression - maybe from watching too much Rick Steves on travel that there is sort of a 'uniform' for the hard core world traveler - sounds like sensible shoes and a good backpack make a good start.
Just about everywhere we've gone on the Mainland, we've been able to pick out the Hawaii residents.

Of course they haven't had any trouble spotting us, either...

Nords said:
Just about everywhere we've gone on the Mainland, we've been able to pick out the Hawaii residents.

Of course they haven't had any trouble spotting us, either...

Many years ago ('74 -'75) I worked at an Army base in CA; we got some people from a closed base in Hawaii. They were easy to spot.

I recall one older gentleman with a sport coat that looked like camouflage for a blue jungle.

Billy said:
This world fashion thing has taught me countless lessons in how appearance is just that... appearance. Nothing deeper. 8)

"fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months." ~~ oscar wilde

Billy said:
Right now we are having the worst air quality we have experienced in Cmai.
Akaisha

No more gazing at the evening stars from the open roof top in Chiang Mai? :(

Billy said:
Right now we are having the worst air quality we have experienced in Cmai. From the plane, all of Bangkok and all of Cmai were covered in an impenetrable brown haze. I was at Central Department Store/Tops the other day and city workers were passing out free face masks (!) I got 2. the one that MJ is wearing he brought from home, and has a replacement charcoal filter inside.

Billy, what's the cause of bad air quality? When/where do you wear the mask? Not all day, not at home, I hope.

Sam said:
Billy, what's the cause of bad air quality? When/where do you wear the mask? Not all day, not at home, I hope.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/19Mar2007_news04.php

The thick haze blanketing areas in the upper North of the country worsened yesterday as satellites identified more forest fires spreading across the region, setting back improvements seen over the past few days. Deputy Prime Minister Paiboon Wattanasiritham said yesterday that he had called an emergency meeting of relevant officials for today to discuss the continuing problems.

Thanks Khan. Great. So it's only temporary, should clear up soon.

unclemick2 said:
:confused:? Why the face mask - do they have bad air in Thailand?

Hi UM, yeh, the air quality in CM has sucked for over 2 months and got worse the past 2 weeks.

Is it just me or do Americans go out of their way to look funny?
Yes it's just YOU and I want to remain incognito as I am doing some part time work for a secret gov agency ;-)

MJ

Want2retire said:
Just a suggestion - - if he is over 40 and if he is going to ride very far at all, he might be well advised to change to more supportive shoes.

Thanks for the "if he is over 40", try "if he is well over 50".

As flipstress observed, I still have my tan marks. I always ride with good bike shoes even for a quick around the corner ride but 2 weeks ago I discovered that my flip flaps work great for rides around CM. So unless I am going on a long ride out of the city, I am using the the flip flaps, as they are very comfortable, fit easily in my bicycle clips and much easier to take off every time you have to go into a building and remove your shoes. Btw, I also use orthopedic insoles for additional support in my bike shoes but thanks for the suggestion.

MJ

Why would anyone want to retire or even live part time in a place where you the air is so bad you need to wear a mask to go outside? It does not sound like paradise to me.

Martha said:
Tell him hi. And that he needs to check in once in a while so we don't worry. :)

He's looking great--suitable for the Men of ER calendar.

Martha, hi back at you. Thanks for the compliment. Billy must have doctored the photo up some.

Let me know when to pose for the next issue. ;-)

Hydroman said:
Why would anyone want to retire or choose to spend a considerable amount of time in a place where you the air is so bad you need to wear a mask to go outside? It does not sound like paradise to me.

It's not always like that.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom