Modifiable Risk Factors

braumeister

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
A very interesting study recently published in the NEJM:
Global Effect of Modifiable Risk Factors on Cardiovascular Disease and Mortality

A few takeaways:
  • individual-level data from 112 cohort studies conducted in 34 countries and 8 geographic regions
  • 1,518,028 participants (54.1% of whom were women) with a median age of 54.4 years
  • associations between five risk factors and incident cardiovascular disease and death
The five risk factors chosen were
  • BMI
  • systolic blood pressure
  • non-high-density lipoprotein cholesterol
  • current smoking
  • diabetes
The really interesting findings:
  • Low BMI was substantially worse than high BMI
  • Cholesterol was either irrelevant or higher 'bad' cholesterol had lower death rates
  • The two biggest risk factors by far were smoking and diabetes – diabetes being the single biggest issue
All of these (except for Type 1 diabetes) are modifiable.

Last edited:
This is all good news. I lowered my BMI from 30 to 25, don’t have diabetes, never smoked and don’t worry about my cholesterol. Glad I am on the right track.

Interesting that these have been documented and entered into the discussion decades ago (excluding the LDL which has only been widely talked about since about the 90's) but anyone who had shown BMI's paradoxical association, cholesterol's on again/off again relevance usually got the hook and no media appearances. Thanks for the post

Wait, low Low BMI was substantially worse than high BMI? So being fat is better?

This is all good news. I lowered my BMI from 30 to 25, don’t have diabetes, never smoked and don’t worry about my cholesterol. Glad I am on the right track.

With Thanksgiving here, you may want to get back to 30 BMI to stay healthier per this study. I'm eating extra pie tomorrow to get healthier :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Wait, low Low BMI was substantially worse than high BMI? So being fat is better?

It has been established for a long time that after you get to around 65 or so, being "slightly overweight" is strongly associated with longevity.

It has been established for a long time that after you get to around 65 or so, being "slightly overweight" is strongly associated with longevity.

Yes, I have read that in several places and most of my older relatives who lived into their 90’s were at least a bit on the chubby side. I think today’s problem is not the person who is 10-15 pounds overweight especially if they get some exercise. Many are fat on the outside and thin on the inside. It’s those who have a fatty liver and/or are morbidly obese that really need to be careful. It’s possible to be thin on the outside and fat on the inside. That is not good.

I have not been a fan of total cholesterol levels for a while. Far better, from what I have read is the ratio of Trigs/HDL. IIRC, I think it should be under 2.0 and preferably closer to 1.0.

Here it is:

https://thebloodcode.com/tghdl-calculator/

The way to get a good ratio is to avoid sugar, highly processed carbs, and alcohol. That’s what I read. I am not Dr. so take this with a very big grain of salt. Unless you have high blood pressure, that take it with a few lentil beans.

Last edited:
So what BMI am I supposed to have at 55? It is currently "normal" but I am trying to reduce it to lower normal.

Last edited:
I've heard of one doctor who had the guts to recommend putting on a little weight to a senior friend on the thin side. Suggestion was, in case they get cancer they're better prepared for the battle with a little extra weight so this doc didn't tie it to cardiovascular.

Last edited:
So what I am getting from this is the Wendy's triple with bacon is ok?

If your risk is too low, congratulations. But you have to use a smaller SWR.

Back
Top Bottom