Monthly Hi Yield Portfolio

howardrf

Confused about dryer sheets
I would like to find a portfolio of 7-10% high yield funds with monthly income. Paid for subscription OK if worth while. Suggestions appreciated.

I would like to find a portfolio of 7-10% high yield funds with monthly income. Paid for subscription OK if worth while. Suggestions appreciated.

Well here are th eone's I am in. I average a little over 8%.

DMO, HPS, TCAP, LINE, CLNY-A, FUR-D, NRF-B, QRE.

CLNY-A FUR-D, and NRF-B are preferred shares. If you want some more ideas I have a spreadsheet of stocks Ikeep my eye on. I try and not buty anything that pays under 8%.

USHYX is at 6.63% per Morningstar. When you look at these funds, be sure you understand the ratings of what is in a particular fund. Vanguard's VWEHX, for instance, has lower yield, but is "less junky".

Hey, mods, you're sure that howardrf and mailbagman are coming from two separate IP addresses, right?

Because this thread has two first-time posters in it, and it looks like one of those classic Q&A spam threads set up just to promote specific products.

In this case, it's getting us to rush an order to our brokerages for tomorrow at the open so that we can buy these high-yield "investments" and [-]pump[/-] drive up their prices, enabling someone else to [-]dump[/-] rebalance their portfolio when the prices jump.

Of course, my apologies to howardrf and mailbagman if you two just happen to be passing by here today and were inspired to post this Q&A. Maybe you'd care to post your introductions on the "Hi, I am..." forum.

In any event if your looking at those kind of yields in today's evironment you get what you deserve eventually.

Hey, mods, you're sure that howardrf and mailbagman are coming from two separate IP addresses, right?

Because this thread has two first-time posters in it, and it looks like one of those classic Q&A spam threads set up just to promote specific products.

In this case, it's getting us to rush an order to our brokerages for tomorrow at the open so that we can buy these high-yield "investments" and [-]pump[/-] drive up their prices, enabling someone else to [-]dump[/-] rebalance their portfolio when the prices jump.

Of course, my apologies to howardrf and mailbagman if you two just happen to be passing by here today and were inspired to post this Q&A. Maybe you'd care to post your introductions on the "Hi, I am..." forum.

My thoughts exactly.

Sorry Nords not the same. One is a question, the other an answer. A little less paranoia please. Anyway thanks for the reply posts received.
Howard

I own JQC which would fit the bill. But it has run up quite a bit this year and future total return will likely be approximately the yield.

Sorry Nords not the same. One is a question, the other an answer. A little less paranoia please. Anyway thanks for the reply posts received.
Howard

Yea, Nords. Don't you believe in coincidences? One has a question, another has an answer.
cmandeb.gif

Yes, that was my first post at this site. No I am not a SPAMMER. Just a newly retired x-federal employee trying to help you out. If you want more infomation regarding high Yield investments ,,,, go to Morningstar and check the forums out. Look up what a poster by the name of LordXot has to say. I was just trying to help a person out. That being you and anyone else that reads this forum.

Yeah, sure guys, welcome to the board.

Now that you've straightened me out, how 'bout those introductory posts?

Yes, that was my first post at this site. No I am not a SPAMMER. Just a newly retired x-federal employee trying to help you out. If you want more infomation regarding high Yield investments ,,,, go to Morningstar and check the forums out. Look up what a poster by the name of LordXot has to say. I was just trying to help a person out. That being you and anyone else that reads this forum.

I can't vouch for the 2 newest members in this thread, but I can vouch for Lord Xot. I have been following his advice for a year or so on several forums, and he has proven very good at evaluating Preferred Shares, ETDs, TruPs, and ETNs.

BTW, I also own LINE and am considering buying TCAP ( or TCC, the preferred ). I know about FUR-D and the others, but they tend to be non-rated and IMO a little more risky, as is the case with higher yielding preferred shares. Also need to look at Call Protection, if any, and Yield to First Call.

If anyone requests, I can post a list of my favorites, but prefer not to push them onto others. No one will call me a pumper or spammer, I trust.

Thanks for the heads up on LordXot. A quick search on the M* Forums turned up his spreadsheet on google docs here

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ai6nAWjRjzKlcHh3bzNhOHFJanNFTEdXY3BZMUU5U2c#gid=0

Yes, this is an excellent spreadsheet for Preferred Stocks, TruPs and ETNs.. Be aware that some of the stocks in the list have been called, others have had their dividends suspended.

But for the most part, it is a great resource but needs to be supplemented by doing your own DD. I have this bookmarked and refer to it very often almost daily.

Another excellent resource is: QuantumOnline.com Home Page

I was just trying to show you what I have been successfuly in doing. If you don't believe me go to Morningstar and look under the forums for a poster named LordXot, read some of his post. You can easily obtain yields of 7 to 10 per cent.

If you don't believe me go to Morningstar and look under the forums for a poster named LordXot, read some of his post. You can easily obtain yields of 7 to 10 per cent.
I spent a number of years on M*'s boards watching all sorts of amazing and wonderful things happening. Or at least that's what the posters reported.

I agree that 7-10% yields seem easy-- until downside risk rears its ugly head.

Beware of the dividend yield trap. If the stock fundamentals aren't there, the high yield is unsustainable, and worse, the stock riskier than most. Good luck, and choose your stocks wisely.

Reaching for an attractive yield without regard for the fundamentals of the company is a huge risk that is well recognized by those who participate in the ETD, ETN and preferred Shares area.

The most important question, IMO, is whether the underlying company has the revenue stream, the management savvy, and the business model to maintain sustainability of the dividend. one also needs to consider asset mix, debt ratio, and Payout Ratio, as well as the usual AFFO and FFO parameters.

My approach has been to avoid the high fliers, and focus instead on those with investment grade or long company history and increasing CAGR. because of this, my average yield is closer to 5.4% - 6.1 %. But I sleep soundly.

As and when interest rates rise, which they will eventually, we will see price declines and loss of principal. I think we may have another year or more before we encounter this, but I'm keeping my eyes & ears open.

I would lke to thank the few members of this board that have checked out LordXot. Following his advice is a way not to go wrong. His spreadsheets are excellent. Also check out a guy named Stormwatch17. He too has some very good spreadsheets.

I have been into TCAP for several months. Later in September I am going to get over $500 in dividends. THey are rasing their dividends to .52 per share.

I was just trying to show you what I have been successfuly in doing. If you don't believe me go to Morningstar and look under the forums for a poster named LordXot, read some of his post. You can easily obtain yields of 7 to 10 per cent.

.....sure, but at what risk? heck mREITS like NLY have 13% dividends. If you're "only" getting 10% dividends you are 3% behind the curve. I don't own NLY.

Last edited:
mailbagman said:
I would lke to thank the few members of this board that have checked out LordXot. Following his advice is a way not to go wrong. His spreadsheets are excellent. Also check out a guy named Stormwatch17. He too has some very good spreadsheets.

I have been into TCAP for several months. Later in September I am going to get over $500 in dividends. THey are rasing their dividends to .52 per share.
I will check out his spreadsheets when I get more time. Thanks for posting in this thread.

So this is a cult? Do we get hooded robes or a ring?

I think one of the biggest mistakes novice investors can make is confusing a return of principal as high dividends.

Back
Top Bottom