More ludicrous bullsh*t from my financial services company

Cool Dood

Full time employment: Posting here.
This is just embarassing -- it's printed on my latest credit card statement, right below the list of transactions:

TO HELP YOU MEET UNEXPECTED FINANCIAL DEMANDS WE HAVE MADE THIS MONTH'S PAYMENT OPTIONAL. PLEASE REMEMBER THAT IF YOU SKIP THIS MONTH'S PAYMENT, INTEREST WILL STILL ACCUMULATE.

Gee, thanks a whole bunch -- free money and I only have to pay 18.5% annual interest rate on it! :LOL:

The sad thing is, I'll bet a whole lot of people will actually think it's a nice thing for them to do.

Maybe it's about time I switch all my financial services to a new company... ;)

(oh, and no -- I've never carried a credit card balance.)

Oh, not to mention that in one piece of junk mail they included with my statement, a brochure on "security and protection," they have all sorts of nonsense like "[we] have always used 128-bit SSL encryption, the most secure available," or "Always check to see that you have your own credit card after a transaction. Criminals can take the opportunity to replace your valid card with an expired card from the same financial institution showing someone else's name." Brilliant insight, guys.

My card institutions don't seem to make use of my personal info. Why do they call periodically to offer me a skipped month or insurance to pay off my CC bill when I always pay my bill in full? Not to mention occasional calls from our banks to refinance a mortgage we don't have. I don't get calls from whoever they sell info to as DH put us on the Do Not Call list the first possible week.

I think the do-not-call list is only good for two years. I think our two are up, but we have not been swamped with new phone calls--yet.

Get American Express. I set my preferences on how I want to be contacted, and they do not call, only contact me via my preferences, which happen to be snail mail and email.

CybrMike said:
Get American Express. I set my preferences on how I want to be contacted, and they do not call, only contact me via my preferences, which happen to be snail mail and email.

For what it's worth, I used American Express twice, once in 1988-1989 (right about the time they had a lot of bad press) and once in 1995-1996. Both times I found their service reps (and even supervisors) to be rude and poorly trained. YMMV.

Well, I've had an AMEX card for over twenty years without a single problem.  I started with the old green AMEX card when I was young because I didn't want to be able to carry a balance.  This forced me into the LBYM mode, and while many of my friends were drowning in CC debt, I was accumulating a nice little stash.  Once I got hooked on saving and paying off balances, I got a Visa card.  A couple of years ago, I converted the green AMEX to the no-fee blue card, but I still only have two CCs.

FYI, AMEX is the only credit card accepted by Costco, so it's worth having to us just for that.

Lets see...readers digest version...

Had an AMEX corporate card. Left the job. Turned in the card at my exit interview. Someone used it to buy office supplies three weeks after I quit, probably my old admin or someone else in my department.

Twenty six calls to amex later, I had gotten the documentation to three different people, all of which agreed wholeheartedly that I was not responsible for the charges. Then I'd get another bill, call again and find that the person I had spoken to was no longer with AMEX and there was no record of any prior phone calls.

I finally told them to stick it, I couldnt care less about wasting any more of my time with them. They dunned my credit for the due 7 years with my note/challenge attached. That was 14 years ago. When I applied for a costco/amex combo card a couple of years ago, AMEX sent me a short note saying that my business was not welcome. Long memory of their own serial screwups.

On my brokerage experience, I did about a dozen trades with them. They screwed up every one. Failed to execute, wrong price, charged the wrong commission, you name it. When I transferred my assets from them to the fund family itself, they transferred over a hundred million dollars worth of assets into my account and then had to ask for it back...turns out they transferred ALL of AMEX's holdings in that fund family, not just the ones I owned.

I liked that mistake.

But my personal amex card worked fine for almost 10 years, but all I ever did was charge stuff and pay the bill. Nothing ever went wrong to give their team on crack crack team a chance to really screw things up or waste my time.

Ed_The_Gypsy said:
I think the do-not-call list is only good for two years. I think our two are up, but we have not been swamped with new phone calls--yet.
We have found a sure-fire way to eliminate telemarketing calls: get rid of your landline phone service. Telemarketers do not call cell phone numbers, to my knowledge.

Our Internet service is through the cable company, we already have cell phones, so who needs a dial tone? Zero telemarketing calls since we eliminated the unnecessary and expensive phone line at home.

Just to amuse myself I've tried negotiating their 18% interest rate down to between 5-10% depending on how annoyed I feel when they call. They seem amazed that anyone would want to do that - after all, their fantastic card is generous enough to give me 5% for 6 months, why on earth would I want that forever? :)

I've had the AMEX "Blue cash" card for a few years now, no problems at all. The rebate added up to a big chunk last year, and the AMEX year-end statement was the best of any of my CCs. My wife has a card with her name, and I have two cards--one for personal stuff and one for the business. All three cards add up to count toward getting to the higher rebate rate, so the free bucks added up quickly.

But, AMEX isn't accepted everywhere, so I still have a Mastercard.

And, Sam's Club only takes Discover, so I've still got that one.

CFB,
Sounds like your AMEX customer service reps are cousins to our Blue Cross/Blue Shield reps.  An abridged account of the problems we've had with BC/BS (over the simplest of issues, no less) requires its own forum. :p

Eh, I've recently quit whining about customer service from anyone. It simply doesnt exist and there should be no expectations about getting any. It is what it is. Cost cutting and the perception of customer service as an unnecessary cost center by most sales oriented CEO's is in force.

At this point, I drop a single call or email, have no expectations, and if it doesnt produce anything, I throw the product away or change services if the product/service is unusable, or live with it if I have no better options.

Disappointing.

And, Sam's Club only takes Discover, so I've still got that one.

What we do is buy a wal mart gift card at walmart prior to hitting sams using a Visa card....get 5% rebate that way if you use a chase card that has 5% on groceries at a superwalmart...otherwise, worst case you get the full 1% rebate on most of the cash back cards and dont need discover..... ;)

The best gimmick I've seen from credit card companies is where they put 1 or 2 % of what you spend into a savings account, well that's fine, but the tag line is
"The more you spend, the more you save......."

On the topic of credit card junk mail I get lots from Pat Johnson at Capital One. What I do with all such junk mail is to take the prepaid envelope and put an empty application form form someone like American Express or just include a local restaurant flyer. I seal the envelope and send it as junk mail back to Capital One.
Its petty I know, but it give me a chuckle.

PLEASE REMEMBER THAT IF YOU SKIP THIS MONTH'S PAYMENT

Wow what a deal!! Maybe if you ask real nice they will let you extend this offer for a year or so.

No doubt a rather current marketing study indicated that a certain percentage of chumps will jump at this change to take advantage of the CC companies summertime generosity.

Cute Fuzzy Bunny said:
... there should be no expectations about getting any. 

...Disappointing.

If you would just behave yourself and stay out of the doghouse with your DW, you might get lucky once in a while.

Maddy the Turbo Beagle said:
What we do is buy a wal mart gift card at walmart prior to hitting sams using a Visa card....get 5% rebate that way if you use a chase card that has 5% on groceries at a superwalmart...otherwise, worst case you get the full 1% rebate on most of the cash back cards and dont need discover..... ;)

That's a smooth one. I also didn't know anybody gave 5% cash back for Walmart shopping--I thought they were always in the lowest tier of cash back offers.

Do they actually give you 5% on purchase of a gift card?

As I heard from Justin, the Super Walmarts with groceries get you 5% on purchases, the regular walmarts dont. Which I thought was pretty liberal of the credit card companies. I've been shopping at a super walmart with my 5% rewards card but I havent taken the time to part out what they're paying 5% on and what they're paying 1% on.

I think they have finally stopped paying me 5% on my sams club gas, which is on the fine line of their policy. Supposedly any entity whose primary job is to sell gas qualifies, and they note that warehouse club gas pumps dont qualify, that it has to be a separate outfit. Thing is, the sams gas station is across a street from the sams club, operates different hours, and takes different payment methods. Seems a LITTLE separate to me. And they used to pay the 5%.

So either they stopped paying THAT 5% or the superwalmart isnt paying 5%. Unfortunately Citi doesnt tell you how much you made on each purchase, just in aggregate.

Maddy the Turbo Beagle said:
If I understand you correctly, a Wal-Mart gift card gets you into Sam's without a membership and also gets them to accept Visa instead of just Discover?

Back
Top Bottom