Moving states pre or post Medicare?

Scuba

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
DH and I are seriously considering relocating but not sure exactly when. He has preexisting conditions - had a quadruple bypass last year. He will turn 65 in March. We plan to get traditional Medicare with supplemental coverage.

Would it make a difference whether he signs up for Medicare while we are still CA residents and then move to FL after his birthday? I don’t think supplemental insurance transports across state lines so not sure what kinds of issues that would cause, vs already being a FL resident when he signs up.

I’ve tried googling this, but cannot find good info about when medical underwriting is required and what issues may be encountered by changing states after starting a Medicare supplemental policy.

If anyone knows, or is aware of a good source for me to ask, please advise, thanks!

DH and I are seriously considering relocating but not sure exactly when. He has preexisting conditions - had a quadruple bypass last year. He will turn 65 in March. We plan to get traditional Medicare with supplemental coverage.

Would it make a difference whether he signs up for Medicare while we are still CA residents and then move to FL after his birthday? I don’t think supplemental insurance transports across state lines so not sure what kinds of issues that would cause, vs already being a FL resident when he signs up.

I’ve tried googling this, but cannot find good info about when medical underwriting is required and what issues may be encountered by changing states after starting a Medicare supplemental policy.

If anyone knows, or is aware of a good source for me to ask, please advise, thanks!

FL requires issue age pricing and thus has higher initial prices, CA would have cheaper initial premiums. I'm pretty the insurance does in fact go with you, you would be able to replace the CA plan with a FL plan, but woudln't be required to do so. I would imagine you'd need to pass underwriting to switch to a plan in FL as they don't have the birthday rule.

There would be no change to Parts A & B. You would have to choose a new Part D plan, as they are a state-specific. As far as Supplement, it would depend on if the CA company you chose does business in FL. If you went with something like AARP/UHC, that should transfer fine. You should validate with the CA supplement providers you are interested in if the policy would transfer to FL with no issues. Part D and Supplement prices most probably would change though.

There would be no change to Parts A & B. You would have to choose a new Part D plan, as they are a state-specific. As far as Supplement, it would depend on if the CA company you chose does business in FL. If you went with something like AARP/UHC, that should transfer fine. You should validate with the CA supplement providers you are interested in if the policy would transfer to FL with no issues. Part D and Supplement prices most probably would change though.

If the company does not do business in the new state, wouldn't you get a special enrollment period in the new state?

If the company does not do business in the new state, wouldn't you get a special enrollment period in the new state?

In the event of moving to another state and you have a medigap plan before moving, SEP changes only apply to MA and Part D plans, not medigap plans. However, you may be allowed to change medigap plans but could be subject to underwriting approvals. That's why it's important to pick a medigap plan provider that provides coverage in your current zip code and your new zip code if possible.

https://www.medicare.gov/health-drug-plans/medigap/ready-to-buy/change-policies

As far as Supplement, it would depend on if the CA company you chose does business in FL.
That's why it's important to pick a medigap plan provider that provides coverage in your current zip code and your new zip code if possible.
In this case, the Medigap continues to provide coverage since both states use A-N letter plans. If the regional carrier does not do business in FL, he simply continues to pay the CA rate because they are portable plans like life insurance. A life insurance policy issued by a regional carrier in CA still pays after a move to FL and the standardized Medigap policies do the same.

Most national Medigap carriers use 'resident state' pricing so he may pay FL rates after moving.

Boomer Benefits video (Medigap starts at 2:45)
Medicare Inc. video (Medigap starts at 1:00)

If you have Original Medicare plus a Medigap plan, your Medigap insurer must allow you to keep your coverage. What you pay for your Medigap plan may change though, because states differ in their rules for determining Medigap premiums.

You can’t keep your current coverage if you’re moving to Massachusetts, Minnesota, or Wisconsin, where Medigap plans operate differently. If this is the case, you’ll have an opportunity to apply for new coverage.

If your Medigap coverage is with a Medicare SELECT plan, it has a localized provider network, and thus will no longer be suitable if you’re moving out of state. You can use your guaranteed issue right to purchase any Medigap Plan A, B, C/D, F/G, K, or L.

Part D plans have defined service areas. If you are moving out of your plan’s service area, you have two months before and after the move to select new Part D coverage.

Reference: https://www.medicareresources.org/f...overage-follow-me-if-i-move-out-of-the-state/

Last edited:
In the event of moving to another state and you have a medigap plan before moving, SEP changes only apply to MA and Part D plans, not medigap plans. However, you may be allowed to change medigap plans but could be subject to underwriting approvals. That's why it's important to pick a medigap plan provider that provides coverage in your current zip code and your new zip code if possible.

https://www.medicare.gov/health-drug-plans/medigap/ready-to-buy/change-policies

Okay, so if you move states and have a medigap, is your existing medigap insurer allowed to drop you just because you have moved out of state? I don't think they actually are allowed to do that, which is what someone had suggested.

Okay, so if you move states and have a medigap, is your existing medigap insurer allowed to drop you just because you have moved out of state? I don't think they actually are allowed to do that, which is what someone had suggested.

No, they won't drop you. You do need to update your address with Medicare/SSA and your Medigap carrier. Your monthly medigap premium most likely will change. I'm guessing FL will cost more than CA.

In this case, the Medigap continues to provide coverage since both states use A-N letter plans. If the regional carrier does not do business in FL, he simply continues to pay the CA rate because they are portable plans like life insurance. A life insurance policy issued by a regional carrier in CA still pays after a move to FL and the standardized Medigap policies do the same.

Most national Medigap carriers use 'resident state' pricing so he may pay FL rates after moving.

Boomer Benefits video (Medigap starts at 2:45)
Medicare Inc. video (Medigap starts at 1:00)

Thank you so much!

No, they won't drop you. You do need to update your address with Medicare/SSA and your Medigap carrier. Your monthly medigap premium most likely will change. I'm guessing FL will cost more than CA.

Yes it seems that FL health insurance (pre Medicare) is more expensive than CA. I was surprised by the difference.

Back
Top Bottom