My beloved weed whacker did me dirty (not for the squeamish )

My wife couldn't start our gas powered weed whacker so I started it for her, handed it to her and she promptly whacked my leg, lol. Im strongly considering a battery whacker for her. Do they come in pink?

Here's a trick I learned from an eccentric relative: I have a cheap electric (plug-in) Black & Decker Grass Hog lawn trimmer. I left the guard in place but I replaced the string with two cut-down bicycle spokes. Leave the J-hook end on the spokes and insert the spoke through the string holes in the hub, locking them in with the cap.
I'm sure I'll get flak for posting this about how this is unsafe but I inspect the two spokes before each use (especially at the j-hook) and so far there's no noticeable wear. I only use it for cutting tall grass or occasionally a thin vine close to the house once or twice each summer. Not only do I keep the guard in place, but I also make sure the little 'spacer' is down so I don't hit the house or the deck supports/lattice with the spokes. I've used mine this way for a few years now. I wear heavy crew socks, long jeans, long sleeves and safety glasses while trimming. Although last year I got hit in the lip by a small piece of rock that must have bounced off the foundation of the house so this year I'm planning on using a face shield along with the safety glasses.

That's inventive.
I bought a blade thing that performs the same idea, it has little blades like your spokes.
My weed wacker then stopped running, so haven't had the chance to cut my legs with it. ;)

My wife couldn't start our gas powered weed whacker so I started it for her, handed it to her and she promptly whacked my leg, lol. Im strongly considering a battery whacker for her. Do they come in pink?

Dunno about pink but they do come in red. That way the blood won't show as much.:LOL:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauk...Battery-and-Rapid-Charger-2725-21HD/300272796

The link is to the trimmer only but it comes with a 9 Ah battery (that's a good-sized battery!) and charger. If you already have the battery/charger you can get it tool-only which of course is cheaper. I have the one that has the power head and can use the string trimmer, hedge trimmer, edger, etc. Works great.

I used to weed wack in slippers (Hawaiian speak for thongs) and shorts. One time, I brought the trimmer head across my big toe. Fortunately, this was before I bought the most powerful corded Black and Decker model available. After that, I always wore tennis shoes with socks. This photo has me thinking long pants with chaps might be a good idea!

I've done lots of bone-head moves. My favorite is - i was cutting up some tree limbs with a chainsaw- just little 2 inch ones from bigger limbs i cut off a tree. the chain grabbed on one of the limbs and the limb rode up the bar a couple inches. It suddenly felt like someone jambed a pencil up my left nostril! there was a wee little stick aimed directly at me- didnt even see it- but it tried to force its way into my brain..... bled like a faucet!

HaHa! No, I don't think they come in pink! People already mistaken believe they are less effective and less powerful than the gas models so I think the manufacturer's want to avoid making them in pink.

6 years ago I bought the Stihl multi-tool and selected the largest engine size out of the line-up. There were 3 or 4 engines to choose from but I like a lot of power so I got the big one. It whacks weeds with the best of them (or so I thought). Imagine my surprise when last year I tried out my friends battery-electric whacker and it put my powerful Stihl to shame. Now I have a dilema because I want the power (and lack of exhaust fumes and engine noise) of the new battery electric models but my Stihl still runs like a champ.

I hate it when you buy the best and then technology advancements leave you in the dust!

One night when going to the bathroom in the dark I walked into the corner of the br door. Got a big cut over my left eye. I looked like a boxer that had just lost from a TKO. Fortunately I had some liquid bandaid.

Apparently you need to gain about forty pounds... :)

Ray

Recipe for a old fools error
1. Wear low rise socks- I have a hard time with any other when it gets hot out. Still it was a dumb___ move.
2. Have your mind preoccupied with upcoming dental implants. There done, some ibuprofen has it under control but I was concerned.
3. An old machine that likes to occasionally get hard to pull when starting

I pulled to hard and the machine came around and reminded me I am not the brightest bulb. It only took an instant...

And yes it did hurt at first.
So much for my career as a stocky leg model - given the demand it’s upsetting.
View attachment 35242

Have you ever pulled a bone head move?

Just a flesh wound. With the squeamish title I thought I would get to see some muscle and tendons and perhaps bone.

I have chosen to go the full body armor route when doing any type of yard work. hat, long sleeve shirt, long jeans, steel toed boots, googles, mask, gloves. I was well prepared for the current COVID-19 dress code :). Some of it was due to hay fever/pollen/bee sting allergies, and having to deal with poison ivy on our property. It has been helpful it keeping me from yard work related injuries. It also helps me lose a few pounds on warm days :).

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom