My first dread-free Sunday is today.

Ally

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I retired Friday and this is the first time in more than thirty years that I'm not dreading Monday. Even on vacation, I knew they might call me with an emergency as soon as the week began. I hope the other two or three who retired June 5th, too, are as happy as I am!

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Congratulations. Tomorrow will be even better when you don't have to get up and go to work. Enjoy.

I am 30 days away, myself. On Friday July 10 I retire after working 43 years. I try to not think about too much at work. It would make me crazy. I just stay focus on doing a good job and not screwing up.

I retired Friday and this is the first time in more than thirty years that I'm not dreading Monday.....

Congratulations!!! :dance: :dance: :dance:

Enjoy your new-found freedom. I am 5 years behind you, and sometimes it feels as though the day will never come. I love reading posts like yours, because they remind me that it will happen.

Now go out there and have a kicka$$ retirement. :D

re dread-free Sundays....

You realize you have left the rat race far behind when you don't even recognize that it is any kind of Sunday.

I have been "out" for 6 months now and that has happened to me...

Thanks, everyone. I know it will be great to sleep in. I never thought it would get here. I had a countdown on my phone that started with 940 work days left. When it got to zero, it felt like a miracle!

Interesting. I just retired 5/15, and haven't even thought in terms of a "dread-free Sunday". Probably because my calendar is full with pent up projects, so I'm just as busy as when I was w*rking. I probably don't feel any kind of major shift because I have been and will be busy with these major projects until the end of the year (bought new car, sold old one, house to be remodelled, etc.). I also have way too many lucrative offers to consult a few hours here and there and the pull is really strong, so that may happen, too.

I suppose I have a sense of freedom now, perhaps even accomplishment, but beyond that nothing major (it is nice getting to go to my favorite coffee place every morning as opposed to only when I had a day off, and it's also nice to not to have to run to the gym in the morning on the way to w*rk).

The biggest thing I've noticed was how much I was tolerating w*rk, just to get to the end. It's reinforced this feeling that I'm probably tolerating living in Southern Calfornia, and will feel much better when I leave in less than 5 years. Never to return.

Last edited:
I never had this feelings about Monday. I love what I do.

But increasingly I feel going to work is waste of time and I could be doing better things with my time.

Congratulations!!!!!

I used to get a stomach ache when the "60 MInutes" stopwatch began ticking on Sunday evening!!!!!

When I retired, on the first Monday afterwards, I DID get up, make coffee while the Weather Channel babbled in the background, switched to CNBC for an update, then watched out the window as those poor UN-retired left for work and drove past my house in the cold dark snowy morning ( my first Monday was January 7 here in the Northeast)!!!!

It was SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!! I walked around the house for an hour just saying "I'm retired! I'm retired!! I made it!!!"

Then I went back to bed !!!!!

Remember...you will only have ONE 'first Monday after retirement" (even if Monday was NOT your first day of the work week!!!!) so SAVOR IT!!!!! Revel in the feeling!!!

Or.....not!!!!.

Do what YOU want to do!!!!!.....You earned it, and for me, after 2+ years, it STILL feels GREAT!!!!!!!!!!

Congratulations and ENJOY!!!!!

I can't say that I ever dreaded Mondays, I liked my job. What I did dread was the alarm going off at 0430 hours. And the traffic. Hated that.

So it is nice now to sometimes wake up slightly at maybe 0600, decide there is nothing important enough to get up that early for, and go back to sleep until 0800 or even later.

Congrats! Now you will have that feeling every day!

Congrats Ally -
I had that Sunday evening dread. I hated it because it was a sign that w*rk was invading MY time (weekend.) But it happened. It was extra bad when I had early AM conference calls with India on Monday mornings at 5am.

I'm still a slave to the alarm clock because of the kids - but it is really nice not to have that sunday night dread.

Congratulations, Ally! I can't wait. My husband and I are retiring together end of December. I don't have a countdown, but I know how many weeks it is! Enjoy your Sunday evening and especially Monday morning!

Congrats! Soon you will be saying this:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 465
Congratulations! I have come to absolutely LOVE Mondays..they are GREAT!

Tomorrow will be a special Monday for me as I have to be in downtown Atlanta pretty early. I plan on leaving the house at 6 AM to beat the rush hour. I have to admit that I'm going to enjoy NOT going to w+rk...and will probably take a little joy in seeing the misery on the w+rker bees faces. I know, that's wrong of me and I promise to feel at least a LITTLE guilty for it. :)

Congratulations!!
Tomorrow is NOT Monday. It is 1st Saturday.

Hey there! Friday was my last day also.
I think I have a Pavlovian response to Sunday evenings because I feel a low level of anxiety. Hopefully it will pass.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Like FlyBoy5, I too love Mondays! Ally, congratulations on your retirement....enjoy!

Congratulations! I also had the Sunday afternoon blues for many years. I had good jobs, good bosses, I enjoyed what I did but still I couldn't shake the awful feeling on Sunday afternoons that MY time to do as I pleased was coming to an end and tomorrow it was THEIR turn to tell me what to do. I guess I was a prime candidate for ER. Now going on 12+ delicious years of no more Sunday afternoon blues.

Congrats! I started getting my work calls at 3pm today. Looking forward to enjoying Sundays like you... next year!

Back
Top Bottom