My good friends at the IRS

Martha said:
Well, according the retire@40, the accountants should have an electronic acceptance.

Once this is all resolved, I plan to switch accountants or go it alone.  I really liked our old accountant, the one who retired.  This new one is never in the office, doesn't return phone calls, and get things done late. 

If you fire a lawyer and you want your file, the lawyer (at least in Minnesota) has to give you your file.  What about accountants?  Anyone know the practice?  I want all my stinkin files.  I'll  look through my file  for the stinkin filing receipt.  :mad:

I'd be surprised if they tried to withhold your files. I am usually
my own accountant, and when feasible my own attorney as well.
So far, this has saved me a pile of money and not resulted in any
disasters. It's good I can do this as I am so untalented
in technical and DIY areas that I have to hire all of that stuff out.

JG

Martha said:
If you fire a lawyer and you want your file, the lawyer (at least in Minnesota) has to give you your file. What about accountants? Anyone know the practice? I want all my stinkin files. I'll look through my file for the stinkin filing receipt. :mad:

Our accountant always gave us copies of everything whenever they were filed. We didn't have to ask. We probably have 10+ years of history in some box in a closet somewhere.

We do our own taxes now. Hopefully our new records will be saved :)

Jay_Gatsby said:
Martha,

Have you spoken with any of the attorneys at your firm on an informal basis?  Perhaps someone could make a discrete telephone call on your behalf to someone at a supervisory level at the IRS?  A friend of mine at my old firm ran into issues with INS, and after one of the immigration partners made a 5-minute telephone call, the issue was quickly resolved.

You know, I used to be able to do this (cure others problems with a
phone call). I knew the "players" and had power. Now, a lot of people
probably wouldn't even take my calls :)

JG

We had a similar problem this year.  Our return was filed electronically - We then sent our check off to the IRS  :'(  and three months later received a letter from the IRS stating we owed them our life money.  I called the IRS, they could not find a copy of our posted check.  Funny, because I had the cancelled check in my hand!   I had to mail a copy in (certified, of course) and  three weeks later received the confirmation from IRS all was right in the world.  You don't mess around with the IRS -- I worked for a corporate tax attorney for many years and saw the penalties and fines add up in hefty sums for some of his tax clients.

Martha said:
What about accountants? Anyone know the practice? I want all my stinkin files. I'll look through my file for the stinkin filing receipt. :mad:
Martha - Our CPA sends everything back to us. We sign, write checks and mail. We also get return copies and the supporting documents. Her firm keeps records of the returns.
Hope this is soon behind you.

Just a thought... as a result of your filing your return did did IRS remit money:confused: They wouldn't have returned overpaid taxes if you didn't file a return.

Brat said:
Just a thought... as a result of your filing your return did  did IRS remit money:confused:  They wouldn't have returned overpaid taxes if you didn't file a return.

People like Martha don't take cash refunds, they usually apply any refund toward the following year's taxes.

Let me try some double-dipping with the IRS too. First I will make sure that I get a large refund. Will cash the check and then get back to them and say I never got anything and I want more money. Now that is some easy money. If the IRS does it, I can do it.

Or is that a felony?

Vicky

Martha said:
This new one is never in the office, doesn't return phone calls, and gets things done late.
That's just their way of letting you know that you don't pay them enough to qualify for "valued customer" status, or else your return is too complicated for their liking! They can't kick you out, but they can make you want to leave...

vic said:
Let me try some double-dipping with the IRS too. First I will make sure that I get a large refund. Will cash the check and then get back to them and say I never got anything and I want more money. Now that is some easy money. If the IRS does it, I can do it.

Or is that a felony?

Vicky
You could try this woman's approach, which last time netted $2.1 million. The amazing thing is that she keeps doing it and the IRS keeps sending her the checks.

Anyone happen to know Bill Gates' SSN?

justin said:
539-60-5125
Hey, that got 88 hits on Google. Gosh I love the Internet.

Can't say the same about the SEC...

Now all I have to do is file "my" tax return before Bill's accountant.  If he's using Martha's accountant that'll be no problem!

Nords said:
Hey, that got 88 hits on Google. Gosh I love the Internet.

Can't say the same about the SEC...

Now all I have to do is file "my" tax return before Bill's accountant. If he's using Martha's accountant that'll be no problem!

Be careful, the IRS may get confused and send you Gates' tax bill and I don't think it's $50.

retire@40 said:
The accountants that efiled for you should have an "Acknowledgement Report" showing your name, your social security number, an "accepted" status, and the date it was accepted.

Martha,

I have E-filed twice from Thailand. R@40 is correct, I always received an acknowledgement report, verifying that my 1040 was "accepted."

Hang in there, wear 'em down, LOL!

Lance

Back
Top Bottom