Name Some US Cities With Rapid Transit?

Dudester said:
I think light rail is cool, but it's basically a bus with steel wheels. So I've never quite understood the fascination with light rail.

Not quite, but close.. the ones here are bigger than the busses and can be connected together in at least a four car train... maybe even six when you look at a platform...

But as some people would say when they proposed it here... the Mayor wants a choo choo...

BTW, the newer lines that are supposed to go in Houston will at first be busses on the routes even though they are going to put in the rails when they build them.. when ridership increases enough to justify them, they will put the train there instead of the busses...

Philadelphia Pa has mass transit. Buses, subways and regional rail. SEPTA lovingly known as SEPTIC around these parts.

Boston has nice mass transit BUT it is $2 for a ticket now... in 2001 it was $1... that's inflation for you.

Los Angeles is listed as having a mass transit system.

I'll have to add my two cents here as I am somewhat familiar with the light-rail mass transit that LA has to offer:

The mass transit system in Los Angeles is not great. LA is just too spread out to make any mass transit system built at an affordable price work well. A more compact city like San Francisco or Boston works better for mass transit. The problem for an LA transit system is that most of the people here do not commute towards downtown for their work. We work all over the place and that is very difficult for a transit system to serve.

Having said that I understand that for some of those light-rail systems they have here in LA are heavily utilized. I have read that The Green Line here is the most utilized light-rail segment of anywhere in the country.

They are adding links slowly decade by decade. But it may be well after I am gone that an effective system will be in place.

I think you can take Baltimore off of that list. We have a light rail system that no one pays much attention to, and a metro that doesn't go anywhere unless you are going to Johns Hopkins hospital.

Seattle rapid transit?... give me a break!!!! Their best mass transit in and around Seattle is the ferry system.

In the NW Portland's Max light rail is hard to beat.

I hear Portland's aerial tram will be free for the next couple Saturdays. We are there at the moment and hope to try it out.

Brat said:
Seattle rapid transit?... give me a break!!!! Their best mass transit in and around Seattle is the ferry system.

Certainly the most pleasant ride. :)

BTW, I think I heard lately that the Bremerton passenger only ferry run had been cancelled.

The Bremerton Ferry ride on a sunny day is an A+ tourist activity, and the price is definitely LBYM.

Ha

Nords said:
We spent a couple weeks riding it last July. Stayed for a week on U Street and commuted regularly to the Mall for the Smithsonian museums and over to Arlington. We even used the bus link to Mount Vernon. Plenty of trains, no dirt, no crowds out side of rush hour and rush-hour crowds not too bad. It was the type of experience that's so good you don't even notice it.

I don't know how recent this improvement is, but the platforms now have digital displays that let you know when the next train is coming. It eliminates a lot of guessing.

We still gamed the fares. If we'd known that we were going to ride the Metro as much as we did then we would have bought a pass. Commuters are strongly encouraged to buy fare passes that reduce the gate time. But the fare machines were pretty painless and I managed to charge almost every ticket on a well-worn credit card.

How did you like U Street? Was there last week at Bus Boys and Poets -- great place for lunch. We recently moved into a condo off the Orange line in Arlington and are loving the walking to places and taking Metro. My son can easily visit us from Annapolis, your old grounds (he'll be USNA O7), by driving from the Yard to the Metro and taking the Metro to us. This is a transitional place for us as we transition into retirement in the next few years. I think Ha is right on target -- walking is great and an urban lifestyle near rapid transit really adds to your quaility of life.

I also grew up in NYC, like Ha, and took the subway everywhere for my first 25 years of life, until I came to the DC area, where I had to get a driver's license and then proceeded to drive to everywhere for the next 28 years, including a nightmare long distance commute for 20 years. I loved having a single family home to raise our 3 kids, I hated the maintenance head aches. Condo living near the Metro is very appealing. And we are adjusting from downisizing a 4000 Sq ft home into a 1370 Sq ft condo -- but the walking part of our new lifestyle is great and it will be a number one priority for our permanent home, which might suggest an urban lifestyle or home near rapid transit.

After spending so much of my time in a car the last 28 years, I really am enjoying walking to work, the grocery store, library, movies, barbershop, Gym, church and I'm 25 or fewer minutes by Metro away from the Kennedy Center, Mall, U Street, Reagan Airport, Union Station. DC metro is great and I'm really surprised by the high level of ridership on the weekends and evenings, after the work schedule. By the way, you can link into the Metro website and find out when the next trains arrive at your station -- people do this with their Crackberry's.

HaHa said:
Certainly the most pleasant ride. :)

BTW, I think I heard lately that the Bremerton passenger only ferry run had been cancelled.

The Bremerton Ferry ride on a sunny day is an A+ tourist activity, and the price is definitely LBYM.

Ha

The passenger only ferry from Bremerton will end this month because of cost of operation. :( I think it is unfortunate because transit time is a factor for many who work in downtown Seattle and are looking for a reasonably priced home.

The ferry ride from Seattle to Bremerton is a VERY cost effective Sound cruse. :)

It's been awhile since I've ridden the DC Metro. I got irritated a few years back when they started making you buy some easy pass thing to park in the lot. I think you have to buy it in $20.00 blocks, and I don't use the subway often enough to take advantage of that. Knowing me, I'd buy the thing, only use part of it, and then forget about it/lose it, and end having to buy another one. So if I'm going into DC, I usually just drive it. My biggest beef with DC is usually finding a parking space, especially if I'm driving my old battle-axe of a pickup, which means I have to occasionally pass up a tighter parking space. But so far it hasn't been too much of a hassle.

Now if I lived in DC, in an area convenient to the Metro, that would probably be a different story and I'd use it more. I have a friend who lives about a 5 minute walk from a metro station, and his office is near a metro station, so he rarely drives his car. I know a few people in DC who actually get along without a car. If you don't have off-street/reserved parking, sometimes having a car can be more hassle than its worth!

I think Metro changed that policy on parking. While you might need a Smartrip Card to pay and exit parking, I don't think there is a $20 minimum charge to purchase a Smartrip card. I think there is a $5 fee to have your Smartrip Card registered and protected against loss, but I'm not aware of any mimimum required charge. And I believe, Metro parking is free on the weekends.

The Orange Line in Arlington County, especially the Rosslyn-Ballston corridor, is extremely walker-friendly. I know several people who live in the area who go without a car. If you need a car for a few hours, there's a carsharing program in the County, where two companies offer hourly rates for car rentals. Here's one of them: http://www.zipcar.com/dc/check-rates. The cars are parked at designated parking spaces in the area. A number ofyounger professionals living in the area don't own cars. Why pay the annual costs of car ownership, when you hardly use it and when you can rent one out for a few hours or when needed?

ChrisC said:
How did you like U Street? Was there last week at Bus Boys and Poets -- great place for lunch. We recently moved into a condo off the Orange line in Arlington and are loving the walking to places and taking Metro. My son can easily visit us from Annapolis, your old grounds (he'll be USNA O7), by driving from the Yard to the Metro and taking the Metro to us. This is a transitional place for us as we transition into retirement in the next few years. I think Ha is right on target -- walking is great and an urban lifestyle near rapid transit really adds to your quaility of life.
U Street was excellent; we stayed at a B&B in a 100-year-old house and ate a lot of late dinners at Pizza Bolis after putting in 10 miles at the Smithsonians. We were just three blocks from Cardoza Station and it was just close enough.

Hey, we might've worked out with your son (and a thousand or so other people) last July during PEP on Farragut Field! You'll have to tell him from me that the Director of Math & Science (who recently married a submarine veteran) isn't as scary as she allows the mids to think she is. Lemme know if he wants sea stories from our days... and check your PMs for more from me.

RP - Thanks for the Web Site...

I was going to add Pittsburgh to the list of cities with a subway - although it is above ground for most of the way UNTIL you get to downtown Pittsburgh. I think people are surprised at how compact the downtown area of Pittsburgh is. You can easily walk it with little trouble and in a rather short amount of time. The nice thing about the subway system serving the downtown area is - it's free.

Of course, where I get on and off of it, it costs me - but I estimate I save close to $3,000 a year on w*rk-related commuting costs by taking the "T" (the name of the Pittsburgh subway system).

Back
Top Bottom