Natural Gas Bill

CybrMike said:
My Gas bill has run about $400 per month the last two months. The price of living in what you guy's call a McMansion. (the heated garage doesnt help with the bill I'm sure).
Wow! May be having a McMansion in a warmer climate (e.g., San Diego, CA) could save energy cost.

Ok, the Nov-Dec. bill arrived. Bad, but not as bad as I feared. We had company for two weeks in Dec. so the heat had to be turned up to 70 during the day instead of 66. We used the gas fireplace several times. We used a lot of hot water for baths and extra dish washing. The weather was cold but no worse than normal here.

The grand total was $250. After seeing the other bills folks have posted here I don't feel so bad. I "feed" two gas furnaces and two gas water heaters. The house is very large with high ceilings in most of the living areas so it tends to be drafty and cold. If this is the worse we will get this winter I am thankful for being in a place that does not depend on other companies for their gas sources.

Our gas bill for December was $200. We stayed home during the day for 3 weeks. Normally, the thermostat is set at 62F while we are away. We have had a mild winter. I wonder what the bill would have been if the temperture had been normal.

I just cannot imagine paying over $200 per month in GAS heating costs and paying it while living south of Canada. Living in Alberta Canada, and having a 1800 sq ft home, I pay on avg $50/month for nat gas, used for heat and water. Mind you, both are high-effecient appliances and we keep em turned down when not at home... but geesh... $400 per month? OMG... Thats RENT in some places!

I just got my monthly bill.
Since I no longer have a tenant, I lowered the thermostat to 65 during the morning and evening hours (about 9 hours) and at 60 for the rest of the day. On top of that, it has been unseasonably warm in NY and my bill was still a wopping $455 #@$%&^.

I just received my bill for the last period (month), it was $335 (gulp) but, I was home from Dec 14th until Jan 3rd for some minor surgery so the heat was on a little higher at night and all day long. I'm hoping this next month is better with me being back at work and the milder temps. Yesterday it was almost 60 here on the Mass/NH border.

$200 for December in Houston.  And that included half a month of mild weather too. Very frightening had it been a cold winter.  With luck, it'll stay mild another 6 weeks and we'll be out of it.   Course NYMEX prices have now dropped a lot too, so that will soften the blow.

Here in western new jersey we have had the heat set at 61 to 64 degrees since the beginning of november when we put the heat on. Bills in dec was 185 jan was 215 2600 square foot house.

Heck even my furnature is COLD!!

But hey my neighbors have bills pushing 450!!!

We wear hats and warm socks and sit under blankets.

I cannot wait to sell this place the realtor comes this wednesday!

HECO just sent us a postcard offering a $100 credit on our gas bill if we replace an electric water heater with a gas model...

Up 38% from 05 Jan.  S. Michigan

Jan 06 nat gas bill is $395  :eek: :mad:

We keep thermostat @ 66 F days and 55 nights.

House is 2 story 2600 ft.  Well insulated

Time to start burning wood

Slipp

slipp said:
Up 38% from 05 Jan. S. Michigan

Jan 06 nat gas bill is $395 :eek: :mad:

We keep thermostat @ 66 F days and 55 nights.

House is 2 story 2600 ft. Well insulated

Time to start burning wood

Slipp

Price of natural gas is now lower than anytime since last june...
http://tinyurl.com/9pmtm

They raise the efin price fast, better they give back the darn OVERCHARGES!

Capitalism,

Moderator EDIT: Shortened URL

gReeNy said:
I just cannot imagine paying over $200 per month in GAS heating costs and paying it while living south of Canada.

That's cuz Americans are thin-blooded :LOL: We just got our Dec. gas bill and it was $172...we have a 3,000 sq. foot house and had company over Christmas.

Do you Canadians have subsidized natural gas prices? Or are your houses much more energy efficient? Lower thermostat temperature? Maybe it's an English/metric celsius/farenheit conversion thing? (the last one is a joke, of course)

I got a gas bill yesterday too. I was happy :confused: with only $94. The previous month was $192 - We did have a very cold spell in December, but I think the first one was based on an estimated reading. If so, I'm averaging $150 a month. I think the programmable thermostat is helping a lot. I might actually push it down another degree or two for the overnight.

justin said:
Do you Canadians have subsidized natural gas prices? Or are your houses much more energy efficient? Lower thermostat temperature? Maybe it's an English/metric celsius/farenheit conversion thing? (the last one is a joke, of course)

Justin, instead of saying something is a joke or something is sarcasm, can't you just use the ;) ?

Martha said:
Justin, instead of saying something is a joke or something is sarcasm, can't you just use the ;) ?

No.

Past episodes have proven that subtlety is nearly impossible on here. I didn't want to get flamed by a brazillion people telling me that the units of temperature measurement are irrelevant with respect to natural gas utilization.

justin said:
... flamed by a brazillion people telling me that the units of temperature measurement are irrelevant with respect to natural gas utilization.

What a stupid, insane, asinine, right-wing, Hollywood elitist, atheistic, Darwinistic, unscientific, intelligent design, racist, liberal, and otherwise idiotic statement!!!!! :rant: :rant:

Only a brazillion-1 to go... ;)

Hmmm

$55 for 1200 sq feet. But but - $110 electric - we use portable electric heaters to supplement. 68 degree's low at night 70 in the day, relatively warm December.

A. I'm from New Orleans - remember!

B. I haven't sat down and putzed with $ per BTU. Just bought a compass - big windows face south with some sun during the east to west traverse during winter.

I am retired (not an engineer anymore) - and working on nonfrugal.

Oh crap - yeah I'm collecting data thru our first winter here.

This may yet fall into - the something to putz around with catagory.

heh heh

December gas: $130, which is double what it was in November (had company over for the winter holidays).

Electric is the same, so the total for power, heat and hot water came to $260 for December. Ouch.

For January, now that the company is gone, we are relying more on kerosene for heat. I expect the fumes to kill us some day, but it is (a bit) cheaper, so I acquiesce for now.

Bpp

REWahoo! said:
What a stupid, insane, asinine, right-wing, Hollywood elitist, atheistic, Darwinistic, unscientific, intelligent design, racist, liberal, and otherwise idiotic statement!!!!! :rant: :rant:

Only a brazillion-1 to go... ;)

See Justin, it works. :)

Martha said:
See Justin, it works. :)

I'll agree to use the ' ;) ' to denote sarcasm or an attempt at humor if you will agree to provide me pro bono ER forum legal defense every time I'm mistconstrued and flamed for being stupid, insane, asinine, right-wing, Hollywood elitist, atheistic, Darwinistic, unscientific, intelligent design, racist, liberal, and otherwise idiotic. ;)

justin said:
I'll agree to use the ' ;) ' to denote sarcasm or an attempt at humor if you will agree to provide me pro bono ER forum legal defense every time I'm mistconstrued and flamed for being stupid, insane, asinine, right-wing, Hollywood elitist, atheistic, Darwinistic, unscientific, intelligent design, racist, liberal, and otherwise idiotic. ;)

Provided I only have to when you are really being sarcastic or funny. ;)

Back
Top Bottom