Nearly 3/4 Million Cancers A Year Linked To Alcohol Use

“Beer is proof God loves us” B Franklin

Wine, not beer:

https://quoteinvestigator.com/2016/06/24/beer-wine/

Supposedly he also waxed poetical on the benefits of coffee, though I've not been able to source this:

"Among the numerous luxuries of the table ... coffee may be considered as one of the most valuable. It excites cheerfulness without intoxication; and the pleasing flow of spirits which it occasions ... is never followed by sadness, languor or debility."

Last edited:
"At least 4% of the world's newly diagnosed cases of esophageal, mouth, larynx, colon, rectum, liver and breast cancers in 2020, or 741,300 people, can be attributed to drinking alcohol..."

4% is pretty low. And I wonder if they isolated alcohol use from smoking, exercise or other activities (sorry I lost interest before reading the whole article)? Drinkers are more often smokers vs non/lesser drinkers. And probably less likely to exercise regularly?
People who drink alcohol often also smoke and vice versa. In fact, smoking rates among alcoholics have been estimated to be as high as 90 percent, with approximately 70 percent of alcoholics smoking at least one pack of cigarettes per day (National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism 1998). Similarly, smokers are far more likely to consume alcohol than are nonsmokers, and smokers who are dependent on nicotine have a 2.7 times greater risk of becoming alcohol dependent than nonsmokers (e.g., Breslau 1995). Finally, although the smoking rate in the general population has gradually declined over the past three decades, the smoking rate among alcoholics has remained persistently high (e.g., Hays et al. 1999).
https://pubs.niaaa.nih.gov/publicat...unts of alcohol tend to smoke more cigarettes.

I would also wonder if they (epidemiologists) distinguished wine/beer from "hard alcohol" drinkers

While there's been talks of moderate benefit to a limited amount of wine (haven't seen that for beer), I haven't seen any studies showing advantages for "hard alcohol" drinkers (or mixed beer and hard liquor)

the obvious thing is that those that are true "heavy drinkers" might actually live long enough to develop cancers that actually killed them... likely other diseases will get them first.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom