need help with financials before we pull the plug

FlaGator, your summary helped me put things in perspective. Thank you!

Van Winkle, your perspective reminded me that I just need to simplify, consolidate, and determine my withdrawal rate. That eased my mind to be able to stop and breathe before I dig deeper.

Is there a good reason to go the CD ladder route here, or does a simple withdrawal method suffice? I know the CD ladder is for peace of mind...And I know it would be prudent to move out of being so heavily into aggressive growth stocks...it's just what I'm used to. I'm considering just going the index fund/ETF route...

I know I'll have more questions as I think this through. I so appreciate everyone's thoughtful responses so far. It helps to look at things from different angles.

Steady Saver,
You’re asking some great questions. About 3 years before we RE’d, we had an equity portfolio heavily invested in growth stocks. Generally excellent returns but also very volatile and didn’t produce income. We had almost no bonds in our taxable accounts because we didn’t need or want the income in the accumulation phase.

We worked with an FA to transition our taxable portfolio to 75% equities and 25% fixed income. It’s still mostly in individual securities (stocks & bonds) but now generates around $80K/year of income. We’ve been ER’d about 14 months and so far, we’ve been able to reinvest most of the income because some tax deferred monies from my previous employer provided most of our cash flow needs. I’ve considered simplifying this portfolio by moving to funds/ETF’s, but have substantial capital gains that would become taxable if I do that.

I did roll my entire 401K over to my tIRA because I have my tIRA invested in hard money loans and that investment is not an option through my previous employer’s plan. Depending on the size of your employer’s plan, it may be cost advantageous for you to roll it over into your own IRA, or to leave it with your employer. Depends on what they charge for fees.

We are still transitioning into retirement and haven’t yet worked out a permanent “system” for how we’ll get our cash flow, but we do have a general idea. In our case, we can fund our needs via:
- The interest/dividend income on our taxable portfolio
- Tax deferred plan payouts from previous employer plan
- Pension from former employer (haven’t started it yet but could start anytime)
- Cashout of annuity provided by previous employer
- SS for each of us (not sure when we’ll start; still in our 50’s)
- Selling securities in taxable portfolio and withdrawing principal
- After age 59.5, we can also use earnings from our hard money loans instead of reinvesting them if we so choose

I do think advice from a CPA or FA with a tax background is helpful in deciding when to tap into each of these various options. It’s nice to have options, but on the other hand, tapping into the “wrong” one at the wrong time can have very undesirable tax consequences. There are also opportunities to be considered such as Roth conversions where you could benefit from some professional advice.

As for LTC, my thought is that perhaps you don’t need an LTC policy as long as you maintain two properties. If one of you needed LTC, wouldn’t you likely want to cut down to one property anyway, in which case the proceeds from selling it would fund your LTC? And if you don’t have heirs you want to leave a property to, the spouse that doesn’t need LTC could continue to live in one of the properties and borrow against it. We chose to self-insure for LTC, figuring that either we will have enough in our portfolio when the time comes, or if we don’t, the property we own can be tapped into to pay for LTC. Frankly, the LTC landscape is changing so much, I’d be afraid that any policy I purchased now could potentially be irrelevant 20 or 30 years from now.

Congratulations on your success; it sounds like you are financially ready for ER but just need some help transitioning into a portfolio that provides a source of steady cash flow. There are many ways to accomplish that and perhaps a CPA or FA would be the best resource to show you specific options relative to your situation.

Scuba,
Thank you for your helpful note. It is really helpful to see how you've done it. I have much to chew on and yours and other's advice on getting some tax advice is so correct and that is now on our list of things to do.

All: I am sure I will come back with more questions as we move through this, but wanted to thank each one of you for your thoughtful advice. It has helped me to think through things and start getting our ducks in a row.

SMAs from Fidelity

Okay, we've seen our Fidelity advisor twice in the past couple of weeks. Once before and once after this "correction" started.

Several of you pointed out our need for tax advice (and rightly so). Our Fidelity advisor told us about SMAs to take advantage of tax loss harvesting. The cost is .65 for the level we'd be investing that portion of money in. This is cash plus possibly money from the sale of taking advantage of selling a few lots at a loss and then putting it in an SMA.

On the one hand, it would just make life a bit easier. On the other hand, my first response is always to be wary. DH is pretty much for it b/c he has very little interest in investing; I'm the one whose always done our investing.

Can you shed some light/give me your opinion of SMAs and what you see as pros/cons and alternatives?

Thank you.

You're golden. Once SS is online, you'll have $107k a year coming in between pension and SS for the both of you. If you put the equivalent of SS aside for the 12 years before you start SS, that is $398k your $3,504k of resources, leaving $3,106k... at a conservative 3.5% WR , that is $109k a year from your portfolio.

So $109k a year from your permanent portfolio + $74k pension + $33k from SS (or your $398k side fund for the first 12 years) is a total of $216k.... compared to a need of $150k... so you have plenty of redundancy.

Also, you have plenty in taxable accounts to carry you from 55 to SS.

You might be able to do some Roth conversions from 55 to 67, but after that you're probably going to be in a high tax bracket (22% or more) for the rest of your life... so congratulations!

I don't get the SMA play for you... with the recent market run even after the last week or so, I'm guessing that most of your taxable account investment lots have substantial unrealized gains (I know mine do as well as many others here).

What is the .65 cost? I'd be skeptical.

Just noticed your post, Steady Saver. Based on the nomenclature (Prov., PF BRP), I suspect that I may have worked for the same company before I retired. If I'm right about the company, then I have two comments:

1) Don't forget that the PF BFP will pay out approx. 90 days after retirement and can't be rolled into an IRA, etc. You will just have to pay taxes on the money as I'm not aware of any way to defer the taxman.

2) Check and see if you have any post-TAX contributions within the Prov. If so, you should be able to roll them into a Roth without paying taxes. Although, based on the size of you Prov fund relative to the large amount in your PF BRP fund, I suspect that you never made post-tax contributions.

Get out and enjoy.

Greetings Mark1! Yes on the PF BRP. I realized that a few weeks ago =(...

We did post-tax contributions in the distant past then simply rerouted that to paying off the house and other real estate when the market was down...then started an individual account to invest in individual stocks that I later added index funds to when I didn't have time to stock pick. Honestly, I'm not sure what that post-tax account ended up getting rolled into. They changed so many things around and it's not called the same thing it used to be. I need to check on that. This nomenclature drives me crazy sometimes!

I'm realizing there are a dozen ways to do an overall withdrawal strategy and that's what I'm mired down in at the moment.

I was about ready to do an managed fund account with Fidelity (SMA) to replace some of my individual stocks in my taxable (individual) account to help with tax strategy, but I'm now not convinced it really makes a whole lot of difference. My individual stocks are pretty straight forward. With the exception of the index funds I hold in that account, I could easily do my own tax loss harvesting on the stocks I own. I just have this hesitation to let someone else manage my money, even if it is a very small portion of that money. I need to back up and look at the bigger picture.

There's never a perfect time to get out but when we look at things, even despite this downturn, it seems now is just as good as next year. It's so easy to get pulled into the OMY mindset. The downturn has been sobering but we've not panicked so it tells me that it's probably time despite the current free fall.

You're golden. Once SS is online, you'll have $107k a year coming in between pension and SS for the both of you. If you put the equivalent of SS aside for the 12 years before you start SS, that is $398k your $3,504k of resources, leaving $3,106k... at a conservative 3.5% WR , that is $109k a year from your portfolio.

So $109k a year from your permanent portfolio + $74k pension + $33k from SS (or your $398k side fund for the first 12 years) is a total of $216k.... compared to a need of $150k... so you have plenty of redundancy.

Also, you have plenty in taxable accounts to carry you from 55 to SS.

You might be able to do some Roth conversions from 55 to 67, but after that you're probably going to be in a high tax bracket (22% or more) for the rest of your life... so congratulations!

pb4buski - thanks for your input on this! To answer your question in the other post first, the .65 % is to "manage" those funds (basically take the cash, along with selling a few stocks in my individual account) by buying into an SMA with Fidelity for the purpose of better managing our taxes. After a fair amount of research, I'm not convinced that they can do that much better of a job than on can on that relatively small amount. Still pondering that one.

Per your calculations, where would you be suggesting that I get the 12 years worth of SS money to set aside before we actually started drawing SS? It sounds like a good idea, but not clear on where that's coming from.

My dilemma is figuring out where to draw my money from. Roughly 1M is in individual stocks and cash, about 1.450K is in our 401K and another $260K is in a company sponsored retirement account in which I must take a lump sum within 90 days (and pay tax on...darn those taxes...). As with everyone else, our 401K has take a hit this past week but that's the way it rolls.

I also do have roughly $240K lump sum pension that I can roll into an IRA and $44K lump sum pension that I must also take right away.

I have that cash/money market too...just thought I'd keep that for some on hand cash and remodeling that I was hoping I could keep out of the equation. I may not be able to and if not, that's okay.

Thanks for taking your time looking at this!

The "set aside" doesn't necessarily need to be segregated... it is more for just computing the withdrawals from the remaining retirement portfolio. But since you have to take the company sponsored retirement account and pay taxes on it then the after-tax proceeds from that event would be a good start.

You're only 4 1/2 years from having penalty free access to your tax-deferred money and have plenty between the $1m taxable brokerage money, the after-tax proceeds from the company pension plan and the pension to provide your spending until you have penalty free access to tax-deferred funds.

Typically, it is best to withdraw from taxable accounts first, then tax deferred and then tax-free (Roths and HSAs). You have plenty between the pension and taxable account withdrawals to get you to SS age... and you can also do low-tax cost Roth conversions to fill up the 12% tax bracket for that 12 year period... then once SS starts and RMDs you're going to get hosed on taxes no matter what you do.

Steady Saver you are correct that there are a lot of ways to withdraw your funds, but remember that many of the options are perfectly acceptable so don't over think it too much. However, regardless of where you draw your funds from to cover your pre-SS years (Prov, IRAs, Stocks, etc.), I believe the key is to withdraw enough taxable money each year to end up within the 22% tax bracket. Therefore, I would shot for a yearly AGI of say 110-185K regardless of your spend rate for the near future. I'm not 100% sure, but I think the new tax law will make the top of the 22% tax bracket near 189K for a joint return AGI. Enclosed are a few additional comments for your consideration.

1) Remember the year your DH retires you will be in a higher Tax bracket so don't do any additional withdraws that year for sure.

2) You should verify, but I'm sure you can withdraw from the Prov fund (401K) prior to 59.5 years of age, if you retire from company at 55 or older.

3) I would leave funds in Prov fund, as you have a bunch of great low cost investment options. Also, if you roll it into an IRA then withdraws would be much harder w/o penalty prior to 59.5.

4) As an earlier poster noted, I too would recommend you build and maintain an investment spreadsheet if you haven't already. For example, each account gets a column and bunch the rows by type of investments, etc. This works great for visualizing your withdraws, maintaining your asset allocation, re-balancing, etc.

5) Recommend that you and your DH attend company sponsored retirement course, if you haven't already.

6) I have no issue with Roth conversions, but with your pension and spend rate you might be somewhat limited before you leave the 12% tax bracket. It will probably depend on how much you spend on house/farm improvements and the cost basis of your individual investments. If you decide to live on pension and post tax money (e.g. cash) don't convert more to ROTH then just enough to take you into the 22% tax bracket.

Good luck and enjoy your retirement years.

pb4uski - so helpful to get that simple visual of where to draw from. And since our company 401K doesn't impose penalties at age 55, we are fine staying there. Thanks for your input!

Mark1 - Yes, I need to remember not to overthink it. It's that fear of doing something really stupid that trips me up...
1) yes on that one. No withdrawals until needed and in a lower tax bracket
2) Verified. We are good to go on early withdrawals with no penalty
3) That was my thought as well. We can always move those funds to an IRA later if we wanted to buy individual stocks for example, I believe. Will double check but for now, yes, we are staying put.
4) a visual spreadsheet is an excellent idea. And a new learning curve for me. Will do.
5) Have already attended the company sponsored retirement workshop. Extremely helpful.
6) Good advice. Will do
Thanks so much for taking the time to share your thoughts. I do appreciate it!

Back
Top Bottom