Need help with IRS Direct Pay for estimated taxes

Folks, need some help. I've tried both the IRS Direct Pay and the EFTPS sites to set up electronic payments for estimated taxes. At both sites I get the following error:

These fields need your attention:
The entered Bank RTN / Account Number cannot be validated. Please verify with your financial institution that the account information is correct or enter an alternate payment account.

I've tried a different account (savings vs checking), called USAA to confirm that our account numbers are correct (and USAA says they have other complaints-seems to be a federal government problem), and then called EFTPS (who told me that I need to call USAA to confirm correct information or set up an alternate payment).

Any advice to get around this? While I can write a check for the estimated taxes, this is now a challenge to solve. Looking for the right windmill to tilt at. Thanks!

You've double checked both the routing number and the account number, I presume.

I have had something similar happen once or twice, and it turned out I had accidentally checked the wrong type of account (checking vs savings or vice versa). Once I corrected that it was OK.

You've double checked both the routing number and the account number, I presume.

I have had something similar happen once or twice, and it turned out I had accidentally checked the wrong type of account (checking vs savings or vice versa). Once I corrected that it was OK.
I did confirm the Routing and account numbers; even intentionally selected the wrong account type a couple of times to see if that would fool the system. No luck-same error messages. Also tried selecting older tax years for validation (pre-2020). Still no success. I've spent over 40 years dealing with the federal government (DoD), so I'm not really surprised that this is an issue. Though, I find it silly that there are two completely separate payment systems for federal tax payments (IRS Direct Pay and EFTPS). I'm sure that it makes sense to someone.

This would not be an issue with your account number. It's an issue with the routing number. Account numbers vary widely from one bank to another. They have different algorithms, different numbers of digits, etc. But routing numbers are always 9 digits. An they are published on-line. They are not secret. https://www.bankllist.us/bank-routing-number-list-usa

I've spent over 40 years dealing with the federal government (DoD), so I'm not really surprised that this is an issue.

Oh, a newbie. :LOL:

It doesn't get any better, grasshopper.

But seriously, if you have another bank account (and I think you should), then try using that. You can always change it later.

I don’t know if this helps, but I had difficulty establishing a bank link to an investment firm, but finally had success after some effort. When I attempted to link my Fidelity Cash Management Account (CMA) to an investment firm through their website, I received the message that the bank account could not be verified, to recheck the routing and account numbers. I repeated the process and was rejected. I looked up the Fidelity FAQs and it gave me a 17-digit account number for me to enter instead of the shorter account number I had listed online for my account. That was also rejected. I called Fidelity, and the customer rep confirmed I was using the correct routing and 17-digit account number. So I then called the investment firm, and their customer rep asked me to mail them a voided check from my bank. I didn’t have any Fidelity checks yet, so I ordered them. 21 days later, the Fidelity checks arrived. A little surprising, the checking account number printed on the check differed from the 17-digit account number I was asked to enter. So I reapplied to link my Fidelity CMA account to the investment firm, using the account number on the printed check, and success. It didn’t even ask me to upload a picture of the voided check.

Search for transfer information at your brokerage. The routing number and the format of the account number may vary. It does at Fidelity and it got me once until I figured it out.

Make sure you are getting the routing number from a check, not from a deposit slip. Some banks have different numbers on deposit slips.

If that's not it, then it may be that their number is just not in the validation list the payment provider is using for ACH. Try calling EFTPS support at 800-555-4477. They may be able to add it, or they may ask you to send in a voided check.

I don't think they validate account numbers in real time, and they can be any length, so it's almost certainly a routing number issue.

I just use my financial institute, like Fidelity or Schwab, when I withdraw funds, I adjust how much to send, and I select 99% to taxes. I do not know why but they will not let me select 100% to taxes. I send quarterly payment to IRS and state using Fidelity or Schwab. Sometimes I may miss a quarter, but as long as I pay what I believe is owed by years end, then no penalties.

Back
Top Bottom