Need some advice with a large foreign inheritance

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrom

Confused about dryer sheets
Hi everyone, as the title says I could really use some advice. My specific questions are as follows.

Transfer related:

1. What's the best way to transfer the funds (1M) to my US account. I think, I'll get them transferred to my BoA account. I think I just need to provide my SWIFT code and the usual bank routing info?

2. I know FDIC only insures up to 250k per account but I'm thinking I'll move the money around after I receive it, it's a small window of risk but hopefully BoA (and I have Chase too) isn't going to default soon.

3. I understand I have to file form 3520 with the IRS but since I've already filed taxes for 2019 I'll file it with my 2020 return? I also understand there's no taxes in the US.

4. Should I classify it as inheritance or gift? does it matter? Because while it was my late parent's wish for me to own these assets there was nothing official.

Investment related:

Basically with this and my current savings/investments I've hit my FIRE number now and I'm very grateful.

1. I owe $250k on my primary home's mortgage. Even though I'm not crazy about the location but I'm thinking about paying it off. I've been here for a while, banks aren't giving you anything these days to park the money at least I'll save on the interest. My mortgage rate is 3.75%. Another option is to try to buy a new house and sell this one. I could rent it out until the market picks up (from the Covid19 slow down). Just the moving is a pain. My long term plan was to move out of state and own a piece of property with 5 acres but I can't do that until my HS kid is either off to college or finishes college.

2. Along with that I was thinking transfer half of it (500k) to my vanguard account and start dollar cost averaging and keep the rest in cash.

3. My job situation is a bit shaky as people in my dept are getting laid off. I'm late 40s btw. I don't think I'm mentally ready to hang it up just yet but if that happens I guess that'll be that because in this economic climate don't think the next job will come easy.

Would appreciate any input/feedback/advice.

Last edited:
Paying off the mortgage is about the best guaranteed 3.75% return investment you can make IMO.

Sorry about your parent, but assume they weren't based in Nigeria?

Don't spend it till you've got it..

Thank you for the condolences and also for the advice.

LOL about the Nigeria comment. No, I've been in touch with my siblings and we've been working on divvying up the assets for a while.

... Would appreciate any input/feedback/advice.

1) Go slow. Your brain is currently boiling with options and ideas. This will settle down in a few months and your thoughts will gell. In the mean time, consult experts and read. In a couple of years you will have forgotten this "thinking" time but if you don't take the time and end up making a bad decision you will remember it forever.

2) Consult experts. SGOTI is not an expert. Your bank can help you with the transfer mechanics and a CPA can help you with the tax filing requirements, if any. There will almost certainly be some paperwork required by the bank to make sure this is not a money-laundering transaction. Roll with it.

3) Re "investment related" this is actually a pretty good place to seek advice, though you will have to filter and evaluate what you get. Also, read "The Coffee House Investor" by Bill Schultheis (https://www.coffeehouseinvestor.com/) and "The Bogleheads Guide to Investing" by Taylor Larimore et al (https://www.amazon.com/Bogleheads-Guide-Investing-Taylor-Larimore/dp/0470067365)

With an amount of that magnitude, making the wrong decision can be very costly. I know NOTHING about the tax implications of moving money from outside the US into your account but you may want to get professional advice before doing anything- maybe a good tax accountant. B of A will certainly be happy to tell you about the mechanics of getting it from another country into their bank but I wouldn't trust them to know the tax or legal implications except whatever protects them.

Closed at request of OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom