Netflix movie or show suggestion

Absolutely! And hope the sailing is going well! We just had one of those two happy days--a guy called us out of the blue and wanted to buy our trawler! So we are (for the time being at least) boatless.
Thanks for the tip--I might see if my local library can get it. I have no French whatsoever.

Watched the first episode of the US version of House of Cards and decided I had no desire to watch further. While there are certainly power driven ugly people in the world that doesn't mean they have to be associated with. Souls like cinders. No beauty. no need for that in my life.

The intro with the wounded dog I understood, killing the dog made sense - "I have no patience for useless pain". This show, for me, was useless pain.

+1
Also addicted to Doc Martin.

You and me have the same tastes, imoldernu. I posted on your other thread about how we watch TV.

Love Doc Martin and the British detective series on Netflix.

Also, check out the original House of Cards, British of course, but again only available on DVD's from Netflix. I will watch the new version, but can't believe it could be as good as the original. sniff sniff.

DW and I also loved "the way". As far as original netflix programming, "Lillihammer" with Steve Van Zant is very funny. They made 8 episodes last year and hopefully will be making more soon.

Breaking Bad- start with Season 1 Episode 1-Pilot
Downtown Abbey also fun
Season 1 of Walking Dead also fun but very very gory.

Also, check out the original House of Cards, British of course, but again only available on DVD's from Netflix. I will watch the new version, but can't believe it could be as good as the original. sniff sniff.

The original House of Cards is also available via the BBC iPlayer app. A monthly subscription costs ~$8 and you can download programs. I really enjoyed rewatching Elizabeth R, with Glenda Jackson in the title role, which made a big impression on my teenage brain back in 1971. There are some good documentaries and British comedy too. And the wondeful 1995 version of Pride and Prejudice. Am currently watching Lark Rise to Candleford, a drama series about Victorian rural life in Oxfordshire. However, not all BBC programs are available via the app. Some can be viewed without a subsciption.

Last edited:
Re: the Netflix series... there are at least 15 different British detective series. We finished Touch of Frost, much of Miss Marple, and working on Midsomer Murders, Poirot, Cadfael, and several more... With some of the series having 30 or more episodes, no way to finish in this lifetime.
The best part of using Netflix, is being able to stop the movie at any point, and come back later, to pick up where you left off.
Can't tell the difference between current series, and those from 20 years ago.. Going to Finish House of Cards, old series, before the new one, though the first two episodes were pretty good, even when they raised my blood pressure.
Also finished Damages... as far as it went.
Watching Downton Abbey on PBS Sundays... will be sad when it's over.
After finishing the 10,000 offerings on Netflix, will shift over to Amazon.

Five years ago, I'd have said "Too much TV"... "Get a Life!":mad:

Now... not so much...:angel:

Last edited:
Dropped Dish network and went to Netflix

Could I ask why did you dropped Dish? Was it cost, service, programing, etc? Am seriously considering switching from Direct TV to Dish due to customer service/support issues?

By the way, the NetFlix service has been great for us.... The wife ordered the movie "Flight" which I watched last night... Not the best movie I've seen but pretty good.

Last edited:
We had reduced our Dish bill from about $80/month to $48 or so but the ability to load up the DVR with multiple series meant that we were slaves to a stack of recorded current week entertainment. I have a fairly high threshold for mediocre tv but got sick of it. With Netflix (and now Hulu [damnit]) we have plenty of series to watch at a third the cost of our last Dish bill. Better yet, our palette has more variety. Brit sitcoms and Korean movies for the win! Atttack the Gas Station 2 or The Good, The Bad, and The Weird for example.

We had Direct Tv before Dish and found them very similar.

Re: the Netflix series... there are at least 15 different British detective series. We finished Touch of Frost, much of Miss Marple, and working on Midsomer Murders, Poirot, Cadfael, and several more... With some of the series having 30 or more episodes, no way to finish in this lifetime.
The best part of using Netflix, is being able to stop the movie at any point, and come back later, to pick up where you left off.
Can't tell the difference between current series, and those from 20 years ago.. Going to Finish House of Cards, old series, before the new one, though the first two episodes were pretty good, even when they raised my blood pressure.
Also finished Damages... as far as it went.
Watching Downton Abbey on PBS Sundays... will be sad when it's over.
After finishing the 10,000 offerings on Netflix, will shift over to Amazon.

Five years ago, I'd have said "Too much TV"... "Get a Life!":mad:

Now... not so much...:angel:

re: many-episode British detective series. One benefit of getting older--after watching the whole series (Touch of Frost being one of my favorites), I can go back to watch again and enjoy them because I can't remember who-dun-it!
Many of those series are so rich in characters and red herrings that you can enjoy them over and over.

I saw the House of Cards commercial but couldn't remember the name of the series. Thanks!

My son recommended Secretariat which I enjoyed.

I've been watching House of Cards, an original program that Netflix out bid the major networks for. I've seen 3 of the 13 episodes they put out this month. A pretty interesting political drama. I give it a thumbs up.

+1

I started watching it last night. I wondered how well it would translate from the original excellent series House of Cards shown on PBS some years ago, that I watched several times. (gosh - that was over 20 years ago :eek:).

They have done a great job, I wonder if they will do a follow-up series following Francis' career? To Play the King

So happy to hear others singled out Station Agent as a favorite. Such a simple but good movie. Have seen it countless times (very few movies I can watch more than once) as I have had friends watch it whenever I could.

Also, Doc Martin was priceless. Loved the humor and characters (especially Martin Clunes.)

We just got a Blu-Ray player with Netflix so we signed up for a Netflix free trial. DH went right to the British House of Cards and has now progressed to the new series. We can view Netflix on the living room TV with the Blu-ray player, on DH's laptop and on my desktop computer. My computer is next to a 32"HDTV that does not have Netflix capability but over the weekend I connected it to the computer with a DVI adapter and VGA cable just to see how it would look on the TV via the computer. Looks fine and one of my sons showed me how to set up the TV as a 2nd monitor and open Netflix on the TV from the computer. Pretty slick.

My cable isn't long enough so I've ordered a longer one so I can make this connection permanent.

So far I'm not finding all that much on Netflix. We have the streaming version. I have Breaking Bad queued up and watched the first 2 episodes. I got hooked on this show a few months ago using free DVDs from the library.

I need to figure out how to find things I haven't seen before that look worthwhile. Then again, if I find it's not worth my time, I can just move on. I'm liking the idea of unlimited usage, it changes your thinking about what to try. No trips to the library, no reserving DVDs so that I can watch a series in order. Very clever business model.

We've already tried streaming 2 different shows to 2 devices at the same time and have had no quality issues.

Alright you old hippies, we just watched Dazed and Confused from Netflix, and it was great, especially for DH, as he's a bit closer to the profiled generation. Great music, not much of a plot, but certainly a walk down memory lane for those of you that were near the class of 1976 as portrayed by Richard Linklater. Best performance was that of Woodersen, by Matthew McConaughey. He was hilarious.

Sarah in SC said:
Alright you old hippies, we just watched Dazed and Confused from Netflix, and it was great, especially for DH, as he's a bit closer to the profiled generation. Great music, not much of a plot, but certainly a walk down memory lane for those of you that were near the class of 1976 as portrayed by Richard Linklater. Best performance was that of Woodersen, by Matthew McConaughey. He was hilarious.

My GF and I watched it a few months ago as she had never seen it before. I don't think she liked it as much as I did. I wonder if today's freshmen in HS even know what the word "freshmen initiation" even means? I didn't get the "soul pole" slapped on my rear like they did, but I definitely still took some good ones back in the day.

On Netflix streaming:
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (SWEDISH version is better, IMHO) and its 2 sequels - and I didn't think the extended version was better than the theatrical (a first for me)
One, Two, Three (60s Billy Wilder comedy)
My Brilliant Career
Outsourced
Wild Target
Topsy-Turvy
Black Widow
The Magic of Belle Isle
Lost (very long strange TV series - if you haven't seen it)
There are a lot of classic movies there - you just have to hunt around :)

If you are a horse or animal lover, you might like the documentary/movie Buck. About a man who has a unique ability to work with horses. It's more than just about horses but more about wisdom, compassion and just life in general.

"The Way"

I don't see that anyone has mentioned "The Way" with Martin Sheen & Emilio Estevez. Great story, scenery & characters!

Back
Top Bottom