Netflix movie or show suggestion

For the techie computer geeks "Halt and Catch Fire" is great IMO. Its about the early days of PC development and how ruthless the industry BIG payers could be. I know, I was there!

For the techie computer geeks "Halt and Catch Fire" is great IMO. Its about the early days of PC development and how ruthless the industry BIG payers could be. I know, I was there!

Thanks, I added it to my list.

This afternoon I watched Monk With a Camera. It tells the story of Nicholas Vreeland, Diana Vreeland's grandson, who gave up the jet-setting high life and became a Buddhist monk. I enjoyed it - I have a particular affinity for films about individuals who follow unexpected paths in life.

Winnebago Man. Kinda sad and sweet at the same time. It is about the "Youtube famous" salesman who was caught on tape back in the 80s cursing up a storm while filming some sales videos for the RV company.
I'd seen the outtakes, but the movie about a filmmaker tracking him down was quite interesting.

Oh and thanks for the recommendation on the Monk movie, Calico. Saw that one on the documentary list and will definitely have to check it out.

Oh and thanks for the recommendation on the Monk movie, Calico. Saw that one on the documentary list and will definitely have to check it out.

I'll be curious to hear what you think of it. It starts off slowly, but after the first 20 minutes I was riveted.

It was a DVD from Netflix. We have both DVD and streaming because so many shows are not available on streaming.

It was a DVD from Netflix. We have both DVD and streaming because so many shows are not available on streaming.

Thanks, that explains it. Netflix does not distribute DVDs in Canada.

Speaking of murder mysteries, there is Vera which we have seen on PBS TV. Seems there were several not shown on our PBS station but available in DVD.

Speaking of murder mysteries, there is Vera which we have seen on PBS TV. Seems there were several not shown on our PBS station but available in DVD.
Vera is really good. I watched it on Hulu and enjoyed it a lot. This is very much one of my favorite genres - detective series' set in the UK, with down to earth characters.

In that vein, I just finished watching the 14 episodes of Rebus that are available on the free version of Hulu. Good stuff. When they changed the actor who portrayed the main character I was initially skeptical, but the newer version of Rebus had more gravitas and was, I think, a good move.

Last edited:
Almost missed D Day... June 6 1944... happened before almost everyone here was born.

The "D" in D Day didn't stand for anything other than it was a military code word... as in D Day and H Hour... a countdown to a military offensive.

4500+ allied troops died on that day... the invasion of Normandy. I have 3 friends who are still alive, who were involved in Europe at that time. One of them went to Normandy two years ago to honor and celebrate the invasion. Most Americans never knew or have forgotten, but my friend told me that the French didn't forget, and that there were many tears and thanks at the ceremony that day.

If you get a chance, Netflix includes "The Longest Day"... John Wayne... recounting the Omaha Beach invasion.
Other movies about D Day... "Saving Private Ryan", and "Where Eagles Dare."

We enjoyed The Remains of the Day on DVD:

Dutiful butler Stevens (Anthony Hopkins) dedicates himself wholly to tending Lord Darlington's (James Fox) house, turning a blind eye to Darlington's Nazi sympathies. When housekeeper Miss Kenton (Emma Thompson) tries to coax Stevens out of his staid shell, his reluctance may cost him dearly. He finally seeks out Miss Kenton later in life, but is it too late? This Merchant-Ivory period drama was nominated for eight Oscars, including Best Picture.

"Hector and the Search for Happiness" (now streaming) is a quirky little film with similarities to "The Way", "The Art of Travel" and "Eat, Love, Pray" (these last two not currently streaming on Netflix) .
Simon Pegg plays the lead - I have liked everything he's been in.

Last edited:
Started watching Grace Kelly movie (the one with the conflict with France) last night but fell asleep right at the Red Cross ball.
Plan to finish tonight.
We have antenna for locals and internet with Amazon Prime and Netflix for all the rest.
Had Dish for many years and don't miss it.
This is much cheaper and have all of the series we watch for about $40/season each. That equates to about 2 months cost of Dish.

I loved Twenty Feet from Stardom!
If you're into music-oriented documentaries, I highly recommend:
Muscle Shoals
Beware of Mr. Baker (about Ginger Baker)
The Punk Singer (Kathleen Hanna of Bikini Kill, etc)

and not quite as good as the above, but still a good watch:
Ain't in It for My Health: Levon Helm

Another musical documentary I loved, but Netflix only has it on DVD right now:

The Wrecking Crew - about a group of studio session players who recorded the backing tracks for everyone from Sinatra to Zappa. Great insight into the 1960's musical scene. If you watch the DVD be sure to watch the deleted scenes too - they're all very interesting and I think the deleted scenes were almost as long as the movie. Great stuff!

We enjoyed Mr. Turner (DVD):
This incandescent biographical portrait of famed 19th-century painter J.M.W. Turner spotlights his artistic genius, along with the eccentric and frequently insensitive behavior that he exhibited in his private life.

Then we visited the Turner exhibit, on tour from the Tate, at the de Young Museum in San Francisco.

We watched Charles Bradley: Soul of America the other night. What a great music documentary. He was "discovered" by Daptone Records in his early 60s, performing as a James Brown cover artist in NYC. That's the same label as the wonderful Sharon Jones.

The movie is incredibly moving, you are really rooting for him as he works toward the release of his debut album, at retirement age. And his personal story is heartbreaking and very compelling alongside the musical story. I highly recommend it for music oriented folks, and must say that I added him to my Spotify playlist after watching. He's got a beautiful voice and is an evocative songwriter as well.

Charles Bradley | Soul of America

I loved Twenty Feet from Stardom!
If you're into music-oriented documentaries, I highly recommend:
Muscle Shoals
Beware of Mr. Baker (about Ginger Baker)
The Punk Singer (Kathleen Hanna of Bikini Kill, etc)

and not quite as good as the above, but still a good watch:
Ain't in It for My Health: Levon Helm

Took your great ideas and watched all of them over the past week.
Muscle Shoals was my favorite. All were great though. Thanks for those!!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Not Netflix, but Amazon Prime... didn't want to start another thread, and didn't want anyone who has Amazon Prime to miss it.

I happened on this by mistake, but found it to be the most fascinating film footage of history in the making.

The movie is "Hitler, a Career". it's a 1977 film made in Germany, totally made up of actual film clips of Hitler, his rise and fall from the beginnings in the early 1930's to the very end.

I can't believe I had never seen this. The film clips track the actual events leading up to, and throughout WWII. Truly amazing footage that is almost all clean and sharp. The narration is in English, and for those who are students of the second world war, absolutely spellbinding.

In some ways, the the vast scope of this film project, makes this part of history comprehensible, as we can see the size of the German Army, the amount of war materials, arms ships and planes. The propaganda machine is explained in a way that makes it real.

Not for everyone, but a masterpiece for history buffs. Full review here:
Hitler: a career - DocuWiki

Back
Top Bottom