Never Have Another Car Payment!

TromboneAL,

I owned a Mini like that one.  Drove it for quite a few years. It wasn't my first car, but I have never loved a car as much as that one before or since.  A strong argument can be made that it is one of the most important automobile designs in history.

Non

Non sequitur said:
A strong argument can be made that it is one of the most important automobile designs in history.
Even more important than the Yugo?!?

And now the rest of the story. I believe he forgot to tell us he left the dealer with tires spinning and guns a blazing :uglystupid:

When I first came to the US I would go to the public car auctions or if I could get a dealer friend to get me into the dealer auctions, I would buy a car or pickup truck only if I got a good deal. I would then drive it for about a year, in most cases about eight months. I kept an eye in the papers for what my car or truck was selling for. I always sold the car or truck for at least $700 more than what I had in it in most cases I would shoot for a $1,000.00 above my cost.

I looked for cars that people needed and would be easy to sell (most four door cars) my price range was around $2500 to $3500 and selling for $3500 to $4500. I did this for about four years and got tired of the  hassle.

PJ03, no question ... this can work.  As a matter of fact, it works because you're effectively a dealer.  You're clearly buying at wholesale, and selling at a quasi retail (consumer to consumer prices seem to trend between blue book wholesale / retail).  Yes, I agree ... it is a hassle.  The car business takes effort, and thus provides a service.

Another approach to this that can be fun, if you don't have to put too many miles on a car.  Buy a classic car, drive it for a year and sell it.  Same or better result.  And, you get to drive a unique set of wheels.

If you buy a car very right, don't put too many miles or too much time on it, yes ... you can resell the car at break even or a little profit.

But trading cars into dealers over and over again?  Nah.  I don't get that concept at all.

Headlines today, in Califortnia, a guy driving a RARE Ferrari, one of only 400 made and valued at over $1,000,000, lost control and totalled it.

He was road racing a Mercedes.

And another guy had one fly backwards out a window when he and his high school friend were trying to run the odometer backwards so the kids dad wouldnt know they'd been driving around in his car all day!

Cute n Fuzzy Bun'ny said:
And another guy had one fly backwards out a window when he and his high school friend were trying to run the odometer backwards so the kids dad wouldnt know they'd been driving around in his car all day!

Bet Cameron's dad was pissed about that.

looked at thw bmw x3 over the weekend..lots of value there and the no maintaince charges swayed me over..ill be leasing one very soon...these cars are better to lease i find.basically they are just to expensive to try and keep after the warranty and maint.deal runs out....besides they go for just about sticker anyway so the lease amount works out to the depressiation id loose anyway if i bought it,and not having to pay sales tax on the entire car makes it even a sweeter deal..

mathjak107,

Hmm, I think I sense some mental gymnastics here designed to get to a desired end state. I wonder how those crazy lease agents can make money with this inattention to the bottom line? Anyway, if leasing this vehicle brings you the most happiness/dollar then do it. I guess it makes sense compared to buying new and reselling in a few years.

samclem

Unless money isnt in the top 3 for objectives, leasing a BMW isnt a great idea financially.

Buy a Lexus 330 or an Acura MDX and keep it for 7+ years instead. You'll have few reliability problems and they're likely to be inexpensive. If you're still bugged by repair costs, dicker the dealership down to a $1000-1500 7 year warranty. Odds are you wont need it.

I've driven several BMW's - 633csi and a 325ic. Nice looking cars, great cachet, makes ya feel good just motoring around in one. Once you get past using the car to self validate, the engineering isnt that great, the things are practically made to require factory/dealer maintenance, and their reliability has dropped through the floor over the last 5 years.

Cute n' Fuzzy Bunny said:
Buy a Lexus 330 or an Acura MDX and keep it for 7+ years instead.  You'll have few reliability problems and they're likely to be inexpensive.
Just be sure to get the "anti-key" coating, preferably in the double thickness.

For minimal hassle/expense you could buy plastic used cars and run 'em into the ground.

Yah, but I'm sayin', that TruCoat, you don't get it and you get oxidization problems. It'll cost you a heck of lot more'n five hunnert -
See, they install that TruCoat at the factory, there's nothin' we can do, but I'll talk to my boss.

I once had a coworker throw this one at me:

I've got this surefire way to beat the system at Vegas. Every time you win, you double your bet. Every time you lose, you bet half as much.

WRBT said:
I once had a coworker throw this one at me:

I've got this surefire way to beat the system at Vegas. Every time you win, you double your bet. Every time you lose, you bet half as much.

Sure, that will work if you have infinate funds and no betting limit. You will eventually end up betting an infinate amount of money for a very small gain. Not such a realistic idea :D

WRBT said:
The heck with Vegas. If he can't add a series of numbers then send him to Hawaii with a few extra packs of cards and I'll be the dealer!

Grumpy,

I read LOL's reply to be in the spirit:  I took my old Ferrari 250 GTO to the dealer and traded it for 100 new MB S 55 AMGs.  I think the OP may have a bridge or two to sell as well.  I'll take the Golden Gate over which I can drive the 100 AMGs.

Personally, I like to buy an as-new low-mileage 2-year-old MB E320 wagon every 10 years.  (I also bought a Porsche Boxster S.)   But the new E 55 AMG wagon looks good to me.  In 2012, I'll look for a 2010 -- let's see, in 2012 I'll be 76; will I really need a car wagon with 450 HP.  Sure!

db

Back
Top Bottom