New Car purchase

Bflotomny

Recycles dryer sheets
I bet you were expecting a "I purchased a new car today ect" sorry this is about my trials of leasing a new vehicle. I sent out of 8-10 what I call a request for quote. I laid out what I was looking for and the term of the lease.
You would not believe the number of dealers who didn't respond or invited me to come in for a test drive. First: I'm looking to lease the same vehicle I own now so I don't need a test drive. Second: Is it that hard for dealers today to do business via email and/or text and not in the showroom. I included a paragraph telling dealers I don't need a test drive, or want to have coffee & talk. I read recently that Mark Cuban set a Guinness record purchasing a jet completely on line. He spent probably somewhere in the 15-30 million for the plane. I can't even get a complete quote for a lousy $20000. Why can't auto dealers come into the 21st century of sales?

I bet you were expecting a "I purchased a new car today ect" sorry this is about my trials of leasing a new vehicle. I sent out of 8-10 what I call a request for quote. I laid out what I was looking for and the term of the lease.
You would not believe the number of dealers who didn't respond or invited me to come in for a test drive. First: I'm looking to lease the same vehicle I own now so I don't need a test drive. Second: Is it that hard for dealers today to do business via email and/or text and not in the showroom. I included a paragraph telling dealers I don't need a test drive, or want to have coffee & talk. I read recently that Mark Cuban set a Guinness record purchasing a jet completely on line. He spent probably somewhere in the 15-30 million for the plane. I can't even get a complete quote for a lousy $20000. Why can't auto dealers come into the 21st century of sales?

A lease should be pretty straightforward.. Could be they want you in the "chair" to try to upsell you into a more expensive vehicle.

Might want to try a leasing company other than the dealer.

Heck, a few years back I sent out like 45 requests all over the state of Texas... got a response back from all but IIRC 2...

Almost every one quoted me a price on a different color or option list... but if they had a good price I asked about the specific one my sister wanted...

Got many offers back.... but the funny thing is that I found out there were 2 (yes TWO) of the cars she wanted in the state... one was sitting at the dealership she normally goes to...

SOOOO, in the end they agree with the lowest price given by another dealer... we go in to sign all the paperwork and find out that... IT HAD BEEN SOLD earlier that day..... so they sold us the other one in the state that was up near Dallas... they sent someone up there to drive it back...

To make it ever stranger, that was the dealership that had the lowest price!!

My sister was against it at first, but I said either they drive it back or WE drive it back... we let them...

With covid the workerforce for all car makers were reduced. Both new and old cars are on high demand in general. You can still get good deals on certain luxury vehicle's or EVs (e.g. chevy Bolt, no fed credits any more though) from old stocks but you may find it harder to find a good deal in popular models. The Truecar price are not tracking the market in realtime so it won't help much.

It is just a bad timing to buy or negotiate deal on a car now.

With covid the workerforce for all car makers were reduced. Both new and old cars are on high demand in general. You can still get good deals on certain luxury vehicle's or EVs (e.g. chevy Bolt, no fed credits any more though) from old stocks but you may find it harder to find a good deal in popular models. The Truecar price are not tracking the market in realtime so it won't help much.

It is just a bad timing to buy or negotiate deal on a car now.

I have heard mixed reviews of Truecar and other sites purported to offer the lowest number. Somewhere I read that Truecar was tied to the manufacturers and the prices were set by them.

In a previous life, I managed some of the larger auto/truck fleets in the U.S. And I also taught dealership personnel how to sell leasing to retail customers.

The common, everyday car salesman is just not completely versed on how to figure the payments on leases. Same goes with internet sales departments. They just didn't want to go to their sales desk to get one of the managers or to their rental department to figure a lease payment.

Remember that most leases quoted are being quoted at MSRP price--very profitable to the dealership. But the dealer is free to reduce the "Acquisition Price" substantially and thus reduce the payments.

Never pay the first payment they quote you. Depending on the retail vs. dealer cost spread, they can always lower the payment $50 a month--or more. And as a previous lease customer, ask for waiver of the security deposit.

You might want to call the dealership directly and explain the situation to the Lease Manager. He can maybe bypass the sales dept. and keep the deal for himself.

Call me crazy, but I bet if you were spending 15-30mm, they’d get you a complete quote stat! :)

Must be a sign of the Covid times as I’ve only bought cars based on internet quotes (AutoBytel, Edmunds, Costco, etc.) for the last twenty years, and never had a shortage of quotes to choose from. And every time I’ve taken the best internet quote and gotten a better deal by taking that to a dealer and asking them to beat it, every time. I don’t cars about dealers who aren’t interested in quoting or dealing, they’re choice. Of course if you’re trying to buy a make/model that’s in very high demand/short supply - they will make you come in as they have more buyers than cars. I’ve never leased so maybe that’s a different story

Last edited:

You never mentioned which vehicle you are looking for. The ones that didn't respond probably don't have that car on their lot. Most dealerships (at least where I live) are not getting in any new inventory. If you want to purchase/lease a car now, you can pick from what they have on their lot.

Mike

Why can't auto dealers come into the 21st century of sales?

I would make the point that you are looking to legacy companies to satisfy your legacy tastes using up-to-date (advanced?) technology.

Solution: Look for a state-of-the-art car company (Tesla) to satisfy your modern taste (Tesla) by selling you a car using up-to-date technology (Web/phone, NO dealership). You can literally buy one in less than 5 minutes.

What make of car? Certain brands (Kia in particular) are notorious for their old school, "get the butt in the chair" mode of selling.

To solve your problem, I believe you have one of three options:

- Resend your message, but request a total sale price, as if you were a standard cash/finance customer. Bet a few respond. With the "cap cost reduction" already figured, you can now deal with the money factor (interest rate on the lease) with the finance department.

- increase your net to other states. Hey, you have time, right? A five hour drive to save $2000 can be money well spent. Or, roll the savings in to having the car delivered to you. A friend did a nationwide search for a Porsche Cayenne, and bought from a dealer in Phoenix - had it trucked to North Carolina.

- employ a broker - let them deal with the annoying dealers, you sit back and sign papers.

Never had this problem and I have leased my last 9 cars. The latest being a 2020 VW SEL Tiguan R-Line .

I sent out 3 emails, to 3 ~local dealers. Got a response from each. Called each one back individually, got a "Rough" quote over the phone. Plugged the numbers into my spreadsheet, called back with my Minimum Lease Requirements.

After 3 weeks I had a new VW Tiguan for $375pm., 36 months, 0% money Factor, $0 Down, Including First months Payment and Title & Plate.

I did the same with my last BMW, but that lease was a little more, but still with $0 down.

Don't know that buying on line vs. leasing on line are the same experiences.

If leasing, deal with the deal maker. Most contacts you'll find is an internet sales person. Leasing is not their expertise. I had success in writing to a handful of GM's at the dealership, they got the ball rolling.

I bet you were expecting a "I purchased a new car today ect" sorry this is about my trials of leasing a new vehicle.

Probably a good thing to keep in mind for the future. A more descriptive thread title, maybe something like "Problems with online car lease quotes", would likely have received more attention.

I think we could all do a better job with the titles of threads we create.

Back
Top Bottom