New Dog

congrats. We got our new pup at the beginning of the year. He's been a big handful but well worth it.

Cute dog. We need something like that to happen to us. We have been looking for a dog for awhile and keep on applying through the SPCA but so far no luck.

I've had great luck adopting through breed-specific rescue groups like the Aussie Rescue Placement Hotline (ARPH). Smaller breeds also have rescue groups like the Bichon Rescue Brigade.

I find that the breed rescue groups show a lot of concern for fitting a dog into the correct home. Usually they have the dog in a foster setting where the dog's personality is observed before it's offered for adoption. That can reduce any surprises when the dog arrives at its new home. I'm concerned that there are some independent rescuers out there that do little more than flip dogs. I have some experience there too.

...........I find that the breed rescue groups show a lot of concern for fitting a dog into the correct home. Usually they have the dog in a foster setting where the dog's personality is observed before it's offered for adoption. That can reduce any surprises when the dog arrives at its new home. I'm concerned that there are some independent rescuers out there that do little more than flip dogs. I have some experience there too.
I agree. I've adopted two greyhounds through greyhound homing groups and having the dogs fostered first to know their strengths and personalities is a huge plus. And if the dog doesn't work out, they will take it back and re-home it to a better fit. Actually our first greyhound was initially returned because she was a bossy alpha that beat up on the other dogs in the house, but she loved being an only dog in our house.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. Things are going pretty good. Two full days with no accidents. She seems pretty smart/alert. I’m not looking forward to hard winter but so far we’ve had some decent weather these past few days and she’s going out and getting back in pretty good. Dog needs to be quick when it’s zero degrees out. :)

We have had poodles,Shipoos,and Shitzus in the past and all were great. My DW was talking last week about she would love to have another dog but not a puppy to train. I told her we might go to a rescue place and find something, but she is hesitant. We would need something that doesn't shed, which is why we had the previous breeds. That little girl looks adorable and will probably make y'all a great companion, Congrats to you.

We adopted a rescue dog two years ago. She looks to be a small mixed breed (miniature poodle and Lhasa Apso?) and they thought around 3 years old. She was very apprehensive for about 3 months, but is truly a doll. So sweet, appreciative and well behaved. We don’t understand how she ended up on the streets and in pound with a high kill rate (CA). She ended up being transported to WA state and we adopted from her foster Mom. Best decision made in 2018. Can’t imagine life without her now.

Congratulations. She's adorable! We're currently dogless in hopes of doing some traveling before we get another one. They sure do make a home more enjoyable though.

Back
Top Bottom