New everyday dishes - Corelle? Porcelain?

I am not a fan of Corelle. I replaced ours with Amazon basics white Dinnerware set. They have various combinations and some with patterns.

Corelle, about 40 years old, bought at Best Products - anyone remember them? After agonizing for a couple of weeks, I bought Old Town Blue. A number of pieces have broken over the years. Only one cup left - but who uses those anyway with their odd design? I was surprised to see Corelle still makes the pattern, but it appears to be a slightly different shade of blue now.

I recommend using the tons of abandoned china from the last century that no one uses or values anymore. I can usually pick up a service for 8 of decent china for 20 to 40 dollars. I give them away as wedding gifts after clean up also.

Same on the original Frost White Corelle. 30 years and still going. Have added more over the years. Very happy with them. No scratching at all that I can see.

Love the Corell Winter Frost White dishes. I bought these for the kids so they wouldn't ruin our good porcelain. They are super light and durable. They have been dropped multiple times and we've only had one fatality and one chip in 16 years. When people move into their first place, I have given these as house warming gifts and they in turn ask me what they are so they can gift them to others.

I am still using a nice Corelle set I bought decades ago along with an even older Corelle set I inherited from my parents.

I use paper plates! :) Hey, they are very light and very easy to clean up.

OK. I do have a set of Corelle. It is stored away until the house is completed and a kitchen with a dish washer is available. We had a very old set of Corelle and then the late DW replaced that with stone ware. After a few years we went back to a much nicer set of Corelle because it was light and did not take up as much room in the dishwasher or the cupboard.

We are still using some of the Corelle dishes/cups that I bought 32 years ago before we were married...durable as hell.

I love my Corelle... Nice & light and I've dropped on tile many times with only a few chips or breaks. Don't cut fruit on them- the knife cracked a small plate recently. Love the look of stoneware but I'm hard on dishes.

I love my Corelle... Nice & light and I've dropped on tile many times with only a few chips or breaks. Don't cut fruit on them- the knife cracked a small plate recently. Love the look of stoneware but I'm hard on dishes.

Interesting... I cut stuff on our Corelle dishes all the time and have never had a problem... also never had a chip... but when they break they really break badly.

I'm a Corelle fan. I even bought a bunch on eBay because I don't like the current Corelle designs. I like Corelle plates/bowls because they are less bulky in my cupboards, clean more easily than procelain dishware, and they don't heat up like porcelain in the microwave. Porcelain plates can't take melted cheese getting hot in the microwave and often crack.

What about ironstone? It's lighter than stoneware.

Interesting... I cut stuff on our Corelle dishes all the time and have never had a problem... also never had a chip... but when they break they really break badly.

I think I was cutting into a large apple definitely on the smallest plates- I may have hit an edge. I'm a bull in a china shop at times (which is why I quit using Mom's greenstamp bought china for holidays- all hand-wash- yech!).

I'm a Corelle fan. I even bought a bunch on eBay because I don't like the current Corelle designs. I like Corelle plates/bowls because they are less bulky in my cupboards, clean more easily than procelain dishware, and they don't heat up like porcelain in the microwave. Porcelain plates can't take melted cheese getting hot in the microwave and often crack.

Huge +1! I also buy just plain white everything. No matter what "version" of white you get, they all match the other whites well enough.

What about ironstone? It's lighter than stoneware.

I'm interested... I've never seen that- and just looked for some on Amazon. I love the look, but not the weight& chip problems of my old stoneware.

we use our wedding gift China for every day. For a while yup was in china cabinet, we both thought why not use every day.

My mother had a very special complete set of ornately designed Asian dinnerware and serving pieces. It was proudly on display in our family's glass china cabinet, to be used only on special occasions like Christmas or New Years eve. But one day, we had one of those legendary California earthquakes and the glass cabinet's doors opened, spilling the china and crystal to the ground, breaking nearly half of them. After that, the remaining was used for everyday dishes.

It made an impression. I've always used our wedding china for everyday. And a Corelle set we received as a wedding shower gift for a quick breakfast and occasional lunch.

Thought I'd close the loop on this - I had no idea a dish post would be so prolific.

As someone suggested, we bought a couple of plates and tried them out for a few days, and then like bunnies, they just magically filled the cabinet. We're very pleased. I absolutely love how little room they consume, as opposed to the stoneware. Thanks for the recommendations all!

26129-albums226-picture2051.jpg

I bought some correll winter frost white back in 1976 and over the years only one cup broke, no plates broke. It was a close out sale at the Safeway in Houston.

I am a fan of Corelle. But I also love my Denby. Their stuff is beautiful. I have the studio craft. Really nice stuff but the Corelle is lighter.

Back
Top Bottom