New financial planner

... I thought all Fiduciary advisors were fee based only, not a percentage. ...
Confusion reigns! In the industry, "fee-based" means that the advisor does not get paid commissions on what he/she sells. The typical "registered representative" of a brokerage house gets sales commissions and is not a fiduciary. "Fee-based" can either be AUM fees or an advisor (rare) who charges by the hour, by the project, or sells himself as a subscription service with a periodic fixed fee.

Don't feel bad. This topic is the subject of frequent confusion here too.

But, ..., but, ... but, don't worry about hiring an advisor right away. The joke around here is that by the time you know enough to select an advisor you don't need one any more. Start here:
"If You Can" by William Bernstein https://www.etf.com/docs/IfYouCan.pdf (free 16 page download)

"The Coffee House Investor" by Bill Schultheis https://www.coffeehouseinvestor.com/ (This is Bill's first book; read it before reading his second one.)

"The Bogleheads Guide to Investing" by Taylor Larimore et al https://www.amazon.com/Bogleheads-Guide-Investing-Taylor-Larimore/dp/0470067365

"Winning the Loser's Game" by Charles Ellis https://www.amazon.com/Winning-Losers-Game-Strategies-Successful-dp-1264258461/dp/1264258461 (latest edition, May 2021)
Also, your first step with any prospective advisor relationship is here: https://brokercheck.finra.org/

Welcome!

Confusion reigns!

But, ..., but, ... but, don't worry about hiring an advisor right away. The joke around here is that by the time you know enough to select an advisor you don't need one any more. Start here:

Thanks OldShooter! That clears that up. The problem is I have a check coming in the next week or two and I work full time (would like to retire soon or at least cut down to part time or PRN. I don't think I can learn enough in a week to go it without an advisor. I'm thinking maybe get an advisor, retire, and then spend time learning how to do my own investing.

I see Vanguard's fee is the lowest at 0.3%. If say, I was investing somewhere around $680000, that would be about $20000 a year in fees?

My husband was an electrician and his union did all his investing for him. I budgeted and got the house paid off, we're debt free right now, and have an emergency fund. Plus, we're comfortable on his pension and annuities and SS plus my income, so with this money and my 401Ks, I think I could quit working, at least for a while, while I learn everything and run the FIRE calc, etc. I'm a nurse, and I can always pick up more work.

Thanks OldShooter! That clears that up. The problem is I have a check coming in the next week or two and I work full time (would like to retire soon or at least cut down to part time or PRN. I don't think I can learn enough in a week to go it without an advisor.

That's not a "problem"! Take your time. If it's actually cash, not securities, there is nothing wrong with letting it sit till you're comfortable with investing and have a plan. You don't have to plow it all into the market at once. If the place where you park it notices it, and someone from "wealth management" is eager to help, run. I highly recommend the advice on this Board and any books in the "Dummies" series, which are written clearly and with a sense of humor and assume no prior knowledge.

That's not a "problem"! Take your time. If it's actually cash, not securities, there is nothing wrong with letting it sit till you're comfortable with investing and have a plan. You don't have to plow it all into the market at once. If the place where you park it notices it, and someone from "wealth management" is eager to help, run. I highly recommend the advice on this Board and any books in the "Dummies" series, which are written clearly and with a sense of humor and assume no prior knowledge.

I'm so grateful for this forum! I'm going to take my time and learn all this first! I thought about putting it in a regular ole savings account but it's only FDIS insured up to $250,000, so I thought about putting it in 3 different banks.

Last edited:
You could use VG at 0.3% for a year or two then drop it if you are comfortable taking over at that point. Hopefully they'll have you in a good place that takes little work to maintain.

Confusion reigns! In the industry, "fee-based" means that the advisor does not get paid commissions on what he/she sells. The typical "registered representative" of a brokerage house gets sales commissions and is not a fiduciary. "Fee-based" can either be AUM fees or an advisor (rare) who charges by the hour, by the project, or sells himself as a subscription service with a periodic fixed fee.

Don't feel bad. This topic is the subject of frequent confusion here too.

"If You Can" by William Bernstein https://www.etf.com/docs/IfYouCan.pdf (free 16 page download)

"The Coffee House Investor" by Bill Schultheis https://www.coffeehouseinvestor.com/ (This is Bill's first book; read it before reading his second one.)

"The Bogleheads Guide to Investing" by Taylor Larimore et al https://www.amazon.com/Bogleheads-Guide-Investing-Taylor-Larimore/dp/0470067365

"Winning the Loser's Game" by Charles Ellis https://www.amazon.com/Winning-Losers-Game-Strategies-Successful-dp-1264258461/dp/1264258461 (latest edition, May 2021)
Also, your first step with any prospective advisor relationship is here: https://brokercheck.finra.org/

Welcome!

Thank you for all this great information! I'm going to take everyone's advise here and just park it somewhere, learn all of this, and then go forward. I'm so grateful for this forum! Now I just need to figure out where to temporarily park it.

I would think you could deposit these funds in Vanguard, Fidelity or Schwab and pay zero fees. I know Fidelity would meet with you for no charge to review their suggestions as to how to invest your money based on your time horizon and risk tolerance. If you do the actual investing (ie place the trades online), fees would be at or near zero to hold the funds. Each mutual fund or ETF has its own fees but if you use market index ETF’s the fees are very low.

I'm so grateful for this forum! I'm going to take my time and learn all this first! I thought about putting it in a regular ole savings account but it's only FDIS insured up to $250,000, so I thought about putting it in 3 different banks.

Great, put the funds in a bank or few while you absorb information and get over the urge to rush. With a little self-education and introspection, you very well might decide to manage it yourself but if not, you'll have the opportunity to make an informed and deliberate decision.

Hang out here for a while and you will be a likely better investor than 99% of pros... and there are no fees here!

Good luck.

Thank you for all this great information! I'm going to take everyone's advise here and just park it somewhere, learn all of this, and then go forward. I'm so grateful for this forum! Now I just need to figure out where to temporarily park it.
Good job, @Kayzmum. Never, ever be in a hurry when investing. To reinforce the point, if you charge off in all directions now and make a mistake, you will remember it for the rest of your life. If you take a few thoughtful months, you have a much better chance of embarking on an investment journey for decades. You will never remember the few months.

Regarding "parking," I would recommend just going to your regular bank and buying a six month Certificate of Deposit (CD). This guarantees you six months of peaceful reading without the urge to do something quickly.

Alternatively you could chase around for yield, finding a slightly larger pittance compared to the pittance your bank is offering, but why? You won't be able to buy a good dinner with the difference, but no harm is done in the quest either. There are many expert questers here who will offer advice if you want to go that way. @pb4uski, for one.

Rd FDIC I may be in the minority here but for me it is a don't-care. How many times have you read about depositors losing money when the feds shut down a bank? For me, the answer is zero. And in our investing we are all buying assets that are far riskier than a bank deposit, so why get whipped up about FDIC?.

Be well.

Before you worry about how to invest the recently acquired money, be sure to understand any immediate and future tax impact based on your the possible decisions of what type of account you move the money into. You do not start the source of the new money, so unable to give any further advice.

I was a Financial Advisor for 25+ years at firms like Schwab, Merrill and Fidelity. Do yourself a favor, if you really need hand holding and portfolio management, use Vanguard PAS or Schwab Intelligent Portfolios Premium.

Everything else is a rip off.

Take your time. This money will be in an after-tax account. Look into index funds and asset allocation then set it and forget it. Once you build capital gains, it becomes expensive tax-wise to sell and buy different mutual funds.

Go to Youtube and search for the The Money Guy Show. Two guys with tons of videos on everything they preach about around here. :greetings10:

Personally, I would direct the money to Fidelity. You can put it in a money market fund and hold it there until you figure out what is best for you. I’ve also found Fidelity to be very good to get information from. Remember, you can always ask them what they think you should do and that creates one data point. It doesn’t commit you to do anything other than think about it. I assure you, they may bug you a little bit, but Fidelity will not give you a high pressure sales pitch. And, always remember, you don’t have to do anything until you’re comfortable with what you’re doing and why you’re doing it.

Also, if I was a little nervous, I would feel very comfortable putting $250K in a bank until you feel something else should be done with that portion of the money.

Main point, most important point, there is no need to rush or be rushed.

The problem with "parking" the funds is that complacence can set in, and the balance loses traction to inflation each day at almost-zero interest.

It is true that in the case above, if you go with three banks, your balances are FDIC guaranteed.

So I think you should go asap to Schwab and Fidelity offices, and just talk. This will give you a good idea as to how the customer service model would fit you.

With your balance I am sure that you'll get enough knowledge to set up an asset allocation that works for you. That is what you're searching for, how much risk do you wish to accept? There is risk in every investment, even FDIC bank deposit (inflation risk).

Since you're working as a professional, I know that you have the tools to do this on your own. Keep it simple. Bounce your choices off others. You really do get a range of responses here from those who've already gone through this.

I would learn to DIY and save the fees.

Take your time. ...
Yes. That's why I suggested a 6 month CD; it gives you the mind set of waiting, thinking, reading, for a period of time and reduces the temptation to hurry and do something.

If you haven't yet heard of the famous John Bogle, you will soon. Bogle's investing advice is: "Don't just do something. Sit there."

Subsequent actions might be guided by Warren Buffett: "Much success can be attributed to inactivity. Most investors cannot resist the temptation to constantly buy and sell. ... Lethargy bordering on sloth should remain the cornerstone of an investment style."

The problem with "parking" the funds is that complacence can set in, and the balance loses traction to inflation each day at almost-zero interest.
True enough, but the cost of hurrying and making a mistake is potentially much higher than a small loss to inflation.

I think you should go asap to Schwab and Fidelity offices, and just talk. This will give you a good idea as to how the customer service model would fit you.
That's a good idea but I would suggest that you hold off for a few months as you learn the concepts and the lingo. Best case you will be educated enough to have very productive meetings; worst case you will walk out, having become smart enough to recognize someone who does not necessarily have your best interests in mind. You don't have to be too wary with Schwab or Fido, but the people there are financially motivated to get you signed up and started paying fees, so you can't go even there in complete innocence.

You could use VG at 0.3% for a year or two then drop it if you are comfortable taking over at that point. Hopefully they'll have you in a good place that takes little work to maintain.

.03% $1,000,000 would be $3000/year.

A million divided by 100 is 10,000. (two decimals removed) So that is one percent.

30bps is three tenths of one percent. That's what we're talking about, right? So if a whole percentage point is 10,000, then 30bps is $3,000.

Most here would AGREE dont give your money to Edward Jones!! Some of them are NICE to visit with but thats where it ends.

Back
Top Bottom