New Orleans Visit

marko

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
While DW and I have been all around the world, we've never visited NOLA; we're planning a 3-4 day trip next month.

We're into food, drink and live music so I'm guessing that the French Quarter is where we want to spend most of our time. We plan on sampling some food, jazz and some nightlife. Yes, we know it'll be 'touristy' there.

Am I correct that the better hotels/places to stay are in the "Garden District"? Is that near the French Quarter? What else might be fun for a short stay?

We're not shy about hotel costs and not too interested in $100 a night places but would appreciate something other than the chain Marriott/Omni type; maybe something with some local character.

Any help from my friends here is much appreciated.

I remember attending a week long conference in NOLA about 20 years ago. The conference center was about 3/4 mile from my hotel and I was walking all around the immediate area both day and night. About a month after I returned home I was watching a documentary on TV that claimed that NOLA was the murder capital of the US. :facepalm:

Hop on a streetcar (e.g. St Charles route) for a cheap and fun ride and great views of the city.

We always stay at Hotel Mazarin in the French Quarter, convenient to many venues and part of the hotel is absolutely and totally quiet at night (which is why we stay there). Very well maintained with a nice breakfast included as well.
Have fun !

Rich

I'm a former local. Love to go to NOLA even now, but can't get myself to step into the French Quarter much anymore. I do like Royal St., though.

Anyway, these days when we head down there, we usually spend time on Magazine Street. It's fairly long and you really can't walk the entire thing - but parking usually isn't too bad. Between multiple blocks of houses, there are a number of areas there with shops and restaurants.

We have some favorite restaurants - Herbsaint, Restaurant August, Lilette and even Antoine's (yes, it's in the quarter) for the high end. Downscale we like Acme and Deanie's over in Metarie. Being from the North Shore of Lake Pontchartrain, we really like going to Middendorf's in Manchac (it's a few minutes outside of the Metro area on I-55).

Definitely take the streetcar on St. Charles into the Uptown area. See Audubon Park and maybe the zoo. The aquarium and the WWII museum are also good things to do.

And yes, there are some very nice hotels in the Garden District - much quieter than the French Quarter. Not really close to the quarter, but you can hop a streetcar and get there pretty quickly. Otherwise, drive over and park between the Jax Brewery and Canal Street and walk into the quarter.

Enjoy!

I don't have much to contribute as my last visit to NO was somewhere back in the eighties. Very fond memories in general but the one thing that still stands out in my mind was Preservation Hall. I'm not that much into Jazz actually, but that performance was truly memorable. Hope it is still around?!

I hope to go there soon for the Preservation Hall of Jazz. I went there in the 80s, but I can't remember where I stayed at. The food was wonderful. My oldest just went there recently for a bachelorette party, she had a blast.

We've been there several times. I agree with the recommendations to stay in the French Quarter, though I understand why a former native might consider it excessively touristy. Because it is. Also, don't miss Preservation Hall. You will have to stand in line outside in order to get a seat when the doors open. I hate lines but this one is worth it. Coffee and beignets at Cafe du Monde are anther tourist "must."

I enjoy staying at the Hotel Monteleone in the French quarter which is historic and has the carousel bar. I also recommend having lunch at a The New Orleans cooking school, the chef cooks in front of the room and regales with stories about New Orleans. One of my favorite cities. Have q wonderful trip!

I really enjoyed 1870 Banana Courtyard, an unusual B&B adjacent to the French Quarter. The courtyard is lush but very small compared to what I expected from the online description, but the experience was fun and memorable. It was about ten years ago, but it is still open and has the same innkeepers.

W2R should be along to advise soon!

W2R should be along to advise soon!
I don't know anything about what hotels are good or what to do. I am just an old retired lady who lives here, and I haven't stayed in a New Orleans hotel since 1957 when my parents and I stayed at the Hotel Monteleone (and I don't remember the hotel very clearly, to be honest). There are tons of things to do here so just pick something that sounds like you would enjoy it. We don't really do all that much, any more. Oh, here's something that I might do if I was a tourist; go take pictures of yourselves in front of St. Louis Cathedral down in the French Quarter. It's famous but still has that fairytale look to it. OK, that's the best I can come up with.

Honestly, nearly anyone who has vacationed here would have better information to impart than I do. :LOL: Hope you enjoy your visit, though.

Last edited:
I don't know anything about what hotels are good or what to do. I am just an old retired lady who lives here, and I haven't stayed in a New Orleans hotel since 1957 when my parents and I stayed at the Hotel Monteleone (and I don't remember the hotel very clearly, to be honest). There are tons of things to do here so just pick something that sounds like you would enjoy it. We don't really do all that much, any more. Honestly, nearly anyone who has vacationed here would have better information to impart than I do. :LOL: Hope you enjoy your visit, though.

Yeah, but you know all the good and inexpensive neighborhood restaurants. I'd rather eat where you eat than pay a lot of money for a tourist meal.

Yeah, but you know all the good and inexpensive neighborhood restaurants. I'd rather eat where you eat than pay a lot of money for a tourist meal.

Well, here's the big secret: just go to one that is small, isn't a chain, serves Italian, Cajun, and/or Creole food, and doesn't look too new or flashy. Nearly everyone who comes here and does that, thinks they have found "the" place for gumbo, po'boys, or whatever it was they ordered. (How to make a local resident laugh until they can't even speak, after you leave: tell them you found "the best restaurant in New Orleans" for a po'boy or something. They are all the best.)

Our local food is good and competition among restaurants here is insanely intense. If a small independent hole-in-the-wall restaurant has been here for 10 years, it's going to be good or it could not have survived. If it looks a little grungy and has zero atmosphere and you would fit right in wearing shorts, flipflops, and a dirty t-shirt, you have struck gold. It will be cheap. Or, you can check the menu for prices before you sit down.

That's how we found the restaurants we eat at, which are all right near where we live so for privacy I never specify which ones they are. But you can do that in any neighborhood in New Orleans and get terrific food. None of the restaurants we go to have any atmosphere or look good at all.

Last edited:
W2R is, as always, spot on. If you've never been, be sure to visit the French Quarter, but that is simply a small part of the NOLA experience. Go uptown on the streetcar, or get out to Magazine street. My favorite places to eat were on the Westbank (east of the CBD) where I lived, and also in Chalmette. Another thing that we took visitors to was a swamp tour. They all loved it.

Bottom line: don't spend all your time in the Quarter.

W2R is, as always, spot on. If you've never been, be sure to visit the French Quarter, but that is simply a small part of the NOLA experience. Go uptown on the streetcar, or get out to Magazine street. My favorite places to eat were on the Westbank (east of the CBD) where I lived, and also in Chalmette. Another thing that we took visitors to was a swamp tour. They all loved it.

Bottom line: don't spend all your time in the Quarter.

Thank you! HawkeyeNFO lived here for years too, and he genuinely knows this area. I think his idea of a swamp tour is a good one. I went on one twenty years ago and thought it was interesting and relaxing. I agree, don't spend all of your time in the Quarter. But do spend at least a day there, since it is all set up for tourists and probably fun for a while with lots to see and do, entertainment and souvenir shops and so on. And take your camera. I love antiquing on Magazine Street, but have no idea if tourists would like that. The antique shops on Royal are too expensive for me, but more breathtaking.

Last edited:
Well, here's the big secret: just go to one that is small, isn't a chain, serves Italian, Cajun, and/or Creole food, and doesn't look too new or flashy.
That sounds like pretty good advice to me. If we were visiting NO, I'd probably start with the Cajun and Creole, as it's not something we get elsewhere. :)

WADR, I don't think anyone can know "all the good and inexpensive" places to eat. The easiest way to avoid "tourist" restaurants is to look at the people seated inside or waiting outside. If they look like you (or me), they're all tourists, because that's what we are.

Last edited:
That sounds like pretty good advice to me. If we were visiting NO, I'd probably start with the Cajun and Creole, as it's not something we get elsewhere. :)
Thank you! The reason I included Italian, is that a lot of New Orleans cuisine has a strong Sicilian influence as well as Creole. Sicilian/Creole seems more common than Creole alone. I guess that is because we have had a lot of Sicilians here for a long time. The French Quarter is called that, but it has a strong Sicilian influence as well.

That WADR, I don't think anyone can know "all the good and inexpensive" places to eat. The easiest way to avoid "tourist" restaurants is to look at the people seated inside or waiting outside. If they look like you (or me), they're all tourists, because that's what we are.
Good point! Other customers of the restaurants we like are mainly working class people who live near the restaurant. The waitresses and waiters are warm and friendly, and likely to treat you like part of the family and even call you "dahlin" or "sweetie" or some such and start going on about how their kids or their mama are doing lately. The tables have cheap plastic/formica tops or maybe wood, but they don't have tablecloths or cloth napkins. There are no windows with views, there is usually at least one TV with some sports on, and there are video poker machines over in the corner. That's what I mean by "no atmosphere". No candles or flowers on the table. These are not the type of place where you are wondering which fork to use for what.

Last edited:
I'm from Lafayette. When I was in the Air Force, folks would ask, "I'm driving through LA on I-10, where's a good place to eat?" I'd tell 'em, pick one, they're all good. Never had a complaint.

I'm from Lafayette. When I was in the Air Force, folks would ask, "I'm driving through LA on I-10, where's a good place to eat?" I'd tell 'em, pick one, they're all good. Never had a complaint.
Exactly. :) They always think I'm blowing them off, but I'm not.

See? That's one I have never even heard of. Where in Metairie IS it? I've never seen it, and Google was no help.

Had to check with my son on the location. He lives there in a L9 rehab. It's actually in Bywater(sp?). Very out of the way and I would travel from Indiana to have that bacon again.

Had to check with my son on the location. He lives there in a L9 rehab. It's actually in Bywater(sp?). Very out of the way and I would travel from Indiana to have that bacon again.

Ah!! That's why I have never seen Elizabeth's in Metairie. :D Too bad. Yes, there is an Elizabeth's restaurant on the other side of town, in the Bywater.

I'll probably get in trouble for not mentioning 1000 Figs, where my son's significant other is the chef. Not sure what Parrish or part of the city that is in but it's pretty good too.

Back
Top Bottom