New Retirement Survey-It's not about the Money

Even as a child, once I was kindergarten age I always had to be somewhere and get up for something. Even preschoolers have very little autonomy. Their parents or preschool teachers decide a big part of their days.

Really these days if we want to go to the park or the beach all day we can. I've never had time freedom like this before in my life. Sometimes when we get news of a former peer getting a big promotion or making a big purchase that might not be in our budget any longer I might get a brief little pang of did we do the right thing. Then I remember those people are usually working 10 hours a day, sometimes 20 hours between two spouses at high pressure jobs, and they have been doing that for years longer than us already and the pang goes away.

Last edited:
Sometimes when we get news of a former peer getting a big promotion or making a big purchase that might not be in our budget any longer I might get a brief little pang of did we do the right thing. Then I remember those people are usually working 10 hours a day, sometimes 20 hours between two spouses at high pressure jobs and the pang goes away.

For us the "Aha!" moment came about six months after retirement and move to WV. We went to see my younger sister and she said "You two look more relaxed than I've seen you in years."

No amount of money can buy that.

Even as a child, once I was kindergarten age I always had to be somewhere and get up for something. Even preschoolers have very little autonomy. Their parents or preschool teachers decide a big part of their days.

Really these days if we want to go to the park or the beach all day we can. I've never had time freedom like this before in my life. Sometimes when we get news of a former peer getting a big promotion or making a big purchase that might not be in our budget any longer I might get a brief little pang of did we do the right thing. Then I remember those people are usually working 10 hours a day, sometimes 20 hours between two spouses at high pressure jobs, and they have been doing that for years longer than us already and the pang goes away.

+1

The sense of freedom is just amazing. Except for not going to w*rk, we live just like we did before. We enjoy the same hobbies & passions, socialize with the same friends, go on similar vacations, and maintain the same stuff (house, car, toys). The big difference is that we have freedom and time do this stuff without going crazy. In fact, I'm loving life so much that I need far less in terms of food and toys rewards and now look forward to my days, perhaps for the first time in my life.

FB

Right, but for folks to say "it's not about the money" is just wrong. It's always about the money, either you have enough or you don't :)

It's too bad the OP misquoted the article with his/her title right off the bat. The article states several times "for many people, the decision to retire is not just about money" - and that is true for many, if not most voluntary early retirees. Retiring early means the retiree has left money on the table by voluntarily forfeiting additional years of income, and taking on more years in retirement - so clearly not just about the money.

And "enough" is a SWAG for most of us, there is no clear threshold, only a rough guess.

Perhaps adding "just" to the title would be more accurate.

But, I think the more important nuance to focus on is what Midpack described above (in bold), and that nuance is that when you have what you think is (might be?) enough money, then the psychology and focus changes...and, it's not primarily about the money. I think that is likely why the myth buster text (in the box) is worded the way it is.

I know that it worked that way for me.

Another factor I'm personally seeing is that once I was ABLE to retire my tolerance for BS dropped significantly and it's takes much more energy to "deal" with things. Instead of saying "well I have to deal with this" I say "wait... I don't have to deal with anymore... Why am I doing that again?"

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Interesting - I had the opposite experience. After I made the decision to FIRE, irritation at BS dropped significantly and it mostly disappeared completely once I had set a firm date. I still had to deal with everything professionally, but found that internally I had a "and this affects me, how?" response to things that would have irritated the s%@# out of me earlier.

For us the "Aha!" moment came about six months after retirement and move to WV. We went to see my younger sister and she said "You two look more relaxed than I've seen you in years."

No amount of money can buy that.

For me it was the QUALITY sleep I started to get after I retired. I thought I just wasn't a "morning person", but I noticed that without the requirement of getting up, I started getting up earlier than ever and have been VERY WELL rested. It's a crazy, wonderful thing when you have the FREEDOM to do damn well whatever you want.

+1 (fixed the grammar for you, also could have said "her", but not their) yes I am an annoying grammar nut.

Can "They" Be Accepted as a Singular Pronoun? - WSJ

"When pressed on whether “they” could serve as a singular pronoun, my fellow lexicographers and I pointed out that it already has done so for about seven centuries, appearing in the work of writers from Chaucer to Shakespeare to Jane Austen.

Merriam-Webster associate editor Emily Brewster turned the question back to the audience. The only thing standing in the way of singular “they” becoming more acceptable? Copy editors who take it upon themselves to edit out the usage, she said."

I agree. It is all about the money. When you can afford to FIRE, when you can afford to retire.

I know several people who dread retirement simply because they have zero resources, and in one case a mortgage that they struggle to pay even in few years close to their typical retirement age of 65.

Many people on the forum are prepared financially for retirement or have the sense to be in the process of doing so. So our collective view is somewhat biased.

I think the grammar controversy deserves it's own thread. Let's see, where's that ignore thread button?

Back
Top Bottom