New York City hotel for broadway?

sdtech

Recycles dryer sheets
Looking at spending 3 days watching Broadway plays. Any recommendation for a safe hotel nearby?

Marriott Marquis...and if you decide not to pick that, its always a good place to hit the clean restrooms.

All of the brand-name Midtown hotels are “safe”. As in most unfamiliar travel situations, safety in NYC is largely a function of you using common sense, caution, and being alert to what’s going on around you.

My favorite is the Beacon Hotel. Away from the noise and chaos of Times Square, has a kitchen, and market across the street. Walkable to everything on the upper west side. 2 blocks from the subway.

i used to stay at the Edison. it's in the broadway district. reasonable rates. just down the block from the TKTS booth to buy discounted broadway tickets.

My favorite hotel in NYC is the Algonquin on 44th St between 5th and 6th Avenues. Historic, interesting, and an easy walk to any of the Broadway theaters and to Grand Central.

Yes, lots of great hotels in midtown Manhattan and I've stayed at many of them. Marriott Marquis is great and a great location. The first time I stayed at the Doubletree in Times Square I had a great view of Times Square... stayed there again numerous times and never got that great view again.

I liked going to some of quirky restaurants on Restaurant Row a short walk from Times Square.

I also really like the Waldorf-Astoria. DW and I stayed there for my last trip to NYC for my retirement party.

We stayed in the Waldorf on our wedding night 40 years ago and it was pretty spectacular. Sadly, it has been closed since 2017, so that half of it can be converted to condos. It is not expected to reopen until at least 2025.

https://www.hotel46timessquare.com/

Hotel 46 was nothing fancy at all, a basic hotel. But it was clean, safe, and relatively inexpensive for its location (half block from Times Square). Despite being so close, it was really quiet. It's across the street from the old HS that inspired the show "Fame" in the early 1980s.

I'll second the Mariott Marquis TS, the lobby (8th floor!) is really nice. The Renaissance TS is also really nice, although I had some issues 7 years ago, it was probably an anomaly.

If you're looking for something more affordable, the Pod hotels at TS and 39th Street are very nice, as long as you're not looking for a view or to lounge around your hotel room with room service. They have nice rooftop bars, though, so you can still enjoy a good view. They are my favorite place when it's just me, no family, and I just need a place to crash for the night in midtown, convenient to Penn Station and Grand Central.

Last fall I stayed at the Residence Inn Manhattan/Central Park (there is also a Courtyard in the same building but it is usually more expensive and doesn't include breakfast). It's at 54th and Broadway which is close to the theaters out of the crazy Times Square area and also close to Central Park. Highly recommend.

Back
Top Bottom