News Flash

Onward

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
man-returns-to-work-after-vacation-with-fresh-reenergized-hatred-23582554.png

Ain't THAT the truth!
I hated vacations because I knew all that I was gonna come back to was all that work that didn't get done while I was gone. I had a boss who wouldn't assign my tasks to others while I was off, just let 'em stack up and back up. By the time I got back, people were mad at me, howling for work to be done after missed deadlines and such.
I really don't miss work, not for one second. Thanks for the reminder.

I always brought my w*rk with me. Usually did 1-2 hours in the early morning to avoid returning to hellish backlog.

It always sucked.:mad:

At MegaMotors we always got Christmas to New year's Day off. The days off were heaven but going back was just that much worse due to the contrast. Thank you, God, for ER! :dance:

At MegaMotors we always got Christmas to New year's Day off. The days off were heaven but going back was just that much worse due to the contrast. Thank you, God, for ER! :dance:

I guess God did invent ER! "By the seventh day God completed His work which He had done, and He rested on the seventh day from all His work which He had done. ". Genesis 2:2

I guess making it in about 18,000 days isn't too bad for a mere mortal?

-ERD50

That feeling was a huge motivator for me. I started looking at alternative jobs when I realized that I was miserable at my long-term career.

After not finding any kind of work-for-somebody else job that intrigued me, I sunk my money into rental homes. As that took off, I was able to start a countdown clock for the last few years to ER. The last couple of vacations were strange, as I remember I couldn't stop thinking about work and thus didn't really enjoy the vacation to the fullest - I was very concerned about getting laid off towards the end as my line of work turned out to be quite volatile.

My boss would just ignore my requests for vacations after I got my first week. He only wanted to give me what he had to. The mega corp still had to pay me for all vacations I was entitled to for the year but taking all of them in a single year was mission impossible.

Another one of the many reasons I walked away from the job . The week I left he wanted me to work another week. I left on my timetable. He had no power to make me stay.

Last edited:
My boss would just ignore my requests for vacations after I got my first week. He only wanted to give me what he had to. The mega corp still had to pay me for all vacations I was entitled to for the year but taking all of them in a single year was mission impossible.

Another one of the many reasons I walked away from the job . The week I left he wanted me to work another week. I left on my timetable. He had no power to make me stay.

I hear ya. I left with about 1200 hours of vacation on the books they paid me for. He had to get the GM's blessing when I carried over 640 hours per our contract but the GM had no problem. He called it 'chump change'. I should have taken offense to that. To lessen the tax hit, I timed it so that check didn't arrive until the next tax year and I used it to max out the 401K, 457 and the IRA. The rest of it was used for the first 3 years of retirement and I didn't need to take a draw from my investments. That cash and my pension was enough.
I also left with over 2000 hours of sick leave that they add on as time worked when calculating out the pension. Added a year to the 30+ I had put in.

This kind of BS is running rampant. Sounds real familiar.

Oh, and the kids now are dealing with a new trick from the New Age Megacorps: "Unlimited Vacation." Yeah, right. See above, this is what the boss will do when you ask, except you won't get paid since nothing is on the books.

All of this is controlled at many megacorps with the vague risk of layoffs, RIFs, etc.

I was honestly feeling sorry for myself this week as I felt like this guy in the picture. I was looking back at my career, and how things have gone south. I'm wondering if I'm just throwing my career away in 4 months.

No I am not. I will be free.

My boss would just ignore my requests for vacations after I got my first week. He only wanted to give me what he had to.
Same with my client. He had been denying one of his employees his vacation requests for so long that HR finally intervened and compelled my client to either let the guy take his accumulated vacation time or cut him a check for it. The poor guy had not been able to take vacation for a couple of years. He ended up taking off two weeks in October, two weeks in November, and three weeks in December!

The week I left he wanted me to work another week. I left on my timetable. He had no power to make me stay.
Same here. I started my engagement 2 years ago. I kept asking when the end date would be so I could work on finding a new engagement. The answer was always "a couple of more months" and I finally gave up asking.

But, I did finally take matters in my own hand and said I was leaving at the end of December. Of course, a couple of days later he asked if I could stay till the end of January. I agreed. A week later, he asked if we could make it "February or March" and I said 'no'.

Nevertheless, the other day he was talking about a project he wants me to work on in March. I just smiled and didn't respond. I don't think it's sunk in quite yet. :cool:

It sucked not taking all the vacation days in the previous years, but it was great when I retired last year and got 7 weeks additional pay for unused vacation. Yeah!

I would not say I have a hatred for my job... but after close to 3 weeks of end-of-year vacation and returning, planning to retire in the next couple of months is looking even better. :)

Jolly, I am sure you will love. A so so day in retirement is still better than a good day at w*rk.

For 15 years, I worked in places where I technically got 5 weeks of vacation per year, but never took more than 2 weeks, and in the first 8 years, never more than 1 week. Vacation never accumulated year to year and we never got paid for unused days. It was use or lose it, and we were highly encouraged to lose it.

I had 5 weeks of vacation, but we could only accrue 3 weeks before vacation pay was added to our checks. In the early days, I regretted coming back from vacation because my work stockpiled while I was gone. Toward the end, I worked feverishly before a vacation getting a few weeks ahead of schedule so that I would have no stockpile when I came back from vacation. Neither way was without stress.

Back
Top Bottom