? roof repair and caulk for old screw holes

newtoseattle

Recycles dryer sheets
I've seen good advice re: other home repairs and thought I'd ask.

Our house has a metal roof (20 years old) and a very small area (maybe 180 square feet total) of flat roof that was rolled tar paper. The flat area leaked and we had a roofing company come and replace with TPO roof. One piece of metal flashing they replaced did not cover old flashing screw holes and so it looks like they used clear (I'm assuming) silicon caulk to cover these holes in the metal roof. Is this adequate? Should I insist they come back and cover with flashing? I don't' want to "be difficult" but worry about longevity?

thanks for your thoughts?

Well, those will leak eventually. Polyurethane caulk will hold up adequately over time, but silicone will not.

I cannot quite picture the situation from your description, so I am not sure of the very best solution, but I think you want to be difficult and get them to address it now.

This stuff will probably do the task. IMG_20230713_133328139.jpg

Sent from my moto g power using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

If it gets on your skin it will be there through multiple showers..

Then, that's the stuff! :LOL:

What I like to do is add a layer over the caulk (flashing, roof tar etc.). This prevents the wear and tear from the elements for the sealing caulk. One other easy thing to do is include small stones (like shigle roofs have) to get the same effect. But I like to apply the first layer and let it fully cure, then add the 2nd layer. BTW, if you ever redo vent pipe seals, do the same by taking the old seal and sliding it above the new seal but not touching. The goal is to keep the sun off it and also prevent the heavy rain from pounding the connection between seal and pipe. Only trickles touch it. If the old seal dies/disintegrates after 5 or 10 years, you gained that much extra life.

Back
Top Bottom