News of the years 1900 to 2008

OAG

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
This is pretty neat. It starts at 1900 (just because that is the year I selected) and you can go to any year you want from there. You can also "drill down" to see headlines on a variety of subjects for the year selected. Information Please: 1900

Attachments

• LA1952.jpg
    LA1952.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 22
Thanks, I bookmarked 'em both. I love photographing old buildings and architectural details next to new buildings. There's a photo in the middle of that thread, of people crossing the street with kids, that so reminds me of an exciting day visiting my aunts in the city. I loved looking at the storefronts and stopping at the soda fountain where another aunt worked and made us floats.

Edit: it's the one Calmloki shows in his post! We didn't notice the pawn shops when we were kids; I want to be a kid again.

Last edited:
Here's some photos to go with this thread - cities from mid-century on:
Vintage Color Photos of US cities - SkyscraperCity

(LA 1952) Check out the businesses!

The "Rifle Range-learn to shoot" brings back memories. Through my teens the local amusement park had a rifle range with nice Browning semi-auto .22s with a tube feed trough the stock. They weren't even tethered. The idea that some nut would start shooting people I guess had never ocurred to them, as it had never happened.

I used to carry my shotgun on airplanes in a softcase. Just handed it to the flight attendant who stowed it with the coats.

Life has really gone down in America.

Ha

Thanks, I bookmarked 'em both. I love photographing old buildings and architectural details next to new buildings. There's a photo in the middle of that thread, of people crossing the street with kids, that so reminds me of an exciting day visiting my aunts in the city. I loved looking at the storefronts and stopping at the soda fountain where another aunt worked and made us floats.

Edit: it's the one Calmloki shows in his post! We didn't notice the pawn shops when we were kids; I want to be a kid again.

Thanks OAG - lots of surprises in the history site - things i thought were newer or older than they really were! Interesting that it took from 1900 to 1950 to raise the price of a stamp from $0.02 to $0.03.

CuppaJoe - That could be (but isn't) a pic of my honey on the far right with her Mom & Dad - she was born in '50 & i've seen pics of her Mom & Dad dressed just like that. They were in LA just about that time as well.

The "Rifle Range-learn to shoot" brings back memories. Through my teens the local amusement park had a rifle range with nice Browning semi-auto .22s with a tube feed trough the stock. They weren't even tethered. The idea that some nut would start shooting people I guess had never ocurred to them, as it had never happened.

Ha

Indeed. One of the high schools where I grew up had an indoor .22 rifle range in the basement and a target-shooting club.

Somehow I just cannot picture that range still being in use.

I used to carry my shotgun on airplanes in a softcase. Just handed it to the flight attendant who stowed it with the coats.

Ha

As a kid in the late '50s, friends and I (ages around 12 on) would sling our .22s on our backs and ride our bikes out of town to plink. Imagine seeing a kid with a rifle today. Crime of the century!

I do remember some of the scenes in the pictures shared by calmloki. Indy, Chicago and St. Louis were especially familiar.

CuppaJoe - That could be (but isn't) a pic of my honey on the far right with her Mom & Dad - she was born in '50 & i've seen pics of her Mom & Dad dressed just like that. They were in LA just about that time as well.

Chicago looked like that back then also. I was amused by the black coat on the woman on the left. My dad said he didn't like that style; he preferred seeing belts on women's coats. That was my first awareness of fashion changes.

Ha

It's a different world...

LILEKS (James) :: Comics :: Ads

Attachments

• gun ad.jpg
    gun ad.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 1
Back
Top Bottom