Nice Hotels as we get older?

DW and I were in northern Fl and headed home almost 900 miles. We were age 65. IIRC it took us from 12:30 PM to 3:30AM. My previous record is 1150 miles, but don't recall the time required.

The reason is a long story, but my record was a drive from NYC to LA in three days. A little over 2,800 miles with two overnight stops for sleep.

What made it epic is that this was in 1981 when there was a national 55 mph speed limit.

What made it even more epic was that the shifter on my car was broken and all I had were second and fourth gears. First, third, and reverse were completely unavailable. A trip I'll never forget.

The reason is a long story, but my record was a drive from NYC to LA in three days. A little over 2,800 miles with two overnight stops for sleep.

What made it epic is that this was in 1981 when there was a national 55 mph speed limit.

What made it even more epic was that the shifter on my car was broken and all I had were second and fourth gears. First, third, and reverse were completely unavailable. A trip I'll never forget.

2nd and 4th are the important ones. LOL. Everyone who has driven stick learns (accidentally) how to start in 2nd. Reverse could be problematic unless you put it in neutral and push it out... or stick carefully to pull through spots.

I retired on 12/31. Actually went into the office on the first to clear it out. Was going to take a week to rest - but - that first week in January DDIL thought she went into labor. We (ok DH) drove from straight from Long Island to Minnesota, including going through a blizzard (trucks sliding off the road like nobody's business). Under 19 hours IIRC.

Last edited:
No resort in Hawaii has exclusive access to any beach. There are absolutely no private beaches in Hawaii except a few military reservations. This is actually true in most of the United States. Resorts cannot restrict access through their property to a beach. They are required by law to have an access easement and direct you to it. If they refuse, just tresspass and let the cops eductae their security and general manager at the jai.l

The same applies to private property owners. You cannot trespass on private property to access the ocean in Hawaii but you can knock on an oceanfront property owner's door and ask where the access is. If they do not answer or say there is no answer call the police. They can be arrested for resusing access. Every oceanfront property has a beach access easement whether they know it or not.

Prices are high right now because we are overrun by tourists. Hotel prices are about 4x what they normally are. But please come. We want your money.

Good summary of beach access laws!

Heh, heh, the only thing worse than lots of tourists is (wait for it)....no tourists! I know lots of folks who really resent our tourists (yes, they clog the beaches and they clog the restaurants and they clog the roads.) BUT, they pay WAY more than their share of the taxes. I almost feel sorry for them (full disclosure: I used to be a tourist, so I can see both sides of the issue.)

Add Nevada to the list of states where hotels can be few and far between on certain highways. Also, South Dakota has been a problem for me in the past.

BUT, they pay WAY more than their share of the taxes. I almost feel sorry for them (full disclosure: I used to be a tourist, so I can see both sides of the issue.)

We now have the highest taxes on visitors in the country!

The same applies to private property owners. You cannot trespass on private property to access the ocean in Hawaii but you can knock on an oceanfront property owner's door and ask where the access is. If they do not answer or say there is no answer call the police. They can be arrested for resusing access. Every oceanfront property has a beach access easement whether they know it or not.
Our family's house was on the beachfront, and there was a designated beach access path between their house and the next one. There was even a sign saying that. We didn't have many problems with those few people who used the access path. They were pleasant and considerate about not being loud or leaving trash on the path. Of course, this was many years ago, back in the days when the Aloha Spirit was part of life there; perhaps things have changed (I have no idea).

Our family's house was on the beachfront, and there was a designated beach access path between their house and the next one. There was even a sign saying that. We didn't have many problems with those few people who used the access path. They were pleasant and considerate about not being loud or leaving trash on the path. Of course, this was many years ago, back in the days when the Aloha Spirit was part of life there; perhaps things have changed (I have no idea).

Oh, absolutely. There are well marked "shoreline access" paths all over the place and those should be everyone's first option. I was mostly responding to the suggestion that some resorts have private beaches. The beaches themselves are not private but the chairs and such are generally just for guests.

And having the right to access is not the same as having the right to be loud or obnoxious. Respect earns respect.

The beaches themselves are not private but the chairs and such are generally just for guests.
The definition of where the public beach ends and private property starts here is usually stated as the high wave line, the highest point where natural waves reach. A few weeks ago we had an exceptionally large swell that washed waves over two story condos and well into the parking lots of the complexes. I found myself pondering where the high wave mark is technically. Tsunamis are clearly excluded but this was just normal waves from a parrticularly strong swell.

I'm thinking of those resorts like down in Wailea, which is kind of a long way to get to beaches.

So most people who are not staying at those resorts may not really challenge access rules there, maybe spend time at the beaches around Kihei?

I'm thinking of those resorts like down in Wailea, which is kind of a long way to get to beaches.

So most people who are not staying at those resorts may not really challenge access rules there, maybe spend time at the beaches around Kihei?

It depends who "most people who are not staying at those resorts" you mean. Locals know their rights and just walk through the resort. I don't know of anyone who has ever been stopped and if I were I would just say "Ok, where is the access easement?"

And frankly, most locals have brown skin and in this day and age the last thing a resort wants is a youtube video of an employee confronting a local! Can you say racial profiling?

Using the resort's pool and other facilities is different, generally not allowed, and sometimes enforced. But locals get "kamaa'ina" rates so precovid lots of hotels relied on locals during slow periods so they were careful about ticking anyone off or getting a bad reputation.

Tourists are a little different. The resorts want you to play on their "beach" even if you are not staying there because you might buy food or drinks, rent a kayak, or whatever. So they are not going to challenge you. Some have tried to do wristbands etc. But I don't do wristbands so when approached I just tell them I don't do wristbands and show a key. Hotel staff are there to be welcoming. They are not going to check my key and find out it is from 4 years ago. (I don't actually do that with old keys, just an example, but I don't wear wristbands and have never been questioned.)

All in all, I don't think most locals want to hang out at the resorts because they really don't have the best beaches. But someone who really wants to hang out at Wailea will do so. They know where to park for free and no one at the resort is going to stop them. Most of the best beaches in the state require a half mile or so walk anyway and part of what makes them best is that few are unwilling to make that walk so they are disserted and undescovered by tourists.

All in all, I don't think most locals want to hang out at the resorts because they really don't have the best beaches. But someone who really wants to hang out at Wailea will do so. They know where to park for free and no one at the resort is going to stop them. Most of the best beaches in the state require a half mile or so walk anyway and part of what makes them best is that few are unwilling to make that walk so they are disserted and undescovered by tourists.

And if you do find such a beach (as a tourist) you really need to know how to read the water (or just stay out) as there are no lifeguards. I marvel watching folks even at monitored beaches, turning their backs on the ocean. I saw a big wave at Sandy Beach (Oahu) knock over a guy walking up the beach from the water. He wasn't swept out, but he could have been. Funniest thing I saw (again, at Sandy) was a guy asleep on a dune. A wave came all the way up the face of the dune and dropped most of its water directly on the guy. He woke, spluttering and looking around to see who had dumped water on him. Since no one was injured, it was hilarious.

Heh, heh, come to think of it, I don't recall ever being at Sandy with out seeing the red flags displayed ("High Hazard. Rough conditions such as strong surf and/or currents are present. All swimmers are discouraged from entering the water. Those entering the water should take great care.")

I consider Sandy to be one of those beaches that's great fun to watch - I've never actually been in the water there. I've seen ambulances there quite often. And there are LOTS of life guards. YMMV

Here's a YouTube video of Sandy.

Enjoy (from the beach - or, like I often do, from the parking lot!)

I've had my arse over teakettle on one of the little beaches in Kona. I learned to watch a whole lot before going in. It does not take many ingredients for a bad day.
Edit: watched the video. none of that looked fun. like 2 seconds of ride followed by 10 seconds of blender with sand.

Last edited:
Heh, heh, come to think of it, I don't recall ever being at Sandy with out seeing the red flags displayed ("High Hazard. Rough conditions such as strong surf and/or currents are present. All swimmers are discouraged from entering the water. Those entering the water should take great care.")

I consider Sandy to be one of those beaches that's great fun to watch - I've never actually been in the water there. I've seen ambulances there quite often. And there are LOTS of life guards. YMMV
Back in the 1960's, my brothers, cousins and I used to go bodysurfing at Sandy and Makapu'u almost every weekend. These are fantastic beaches for that if you are a teenager (we were), and experienced body surfer in bigger surf like that (we were). One year, I think it was about 1965 or so, the surf on those beaches was the biggest on record. What a thrill! :D I'll never forget it. But, I would never recommend this to anybody because it can be extremely dangerous to those who are unused to these waters. We were teenagers, and, y'know, immortal.... :blush:

And if you do find such a beach (as a tourist) you really need to know how to read the water (or just stay out) as there are no lifeguards. I marvel watching folks even at monitored beaches, turning their backs on the ocean.

It's amazing and sad how many people, locals and tourists alike, are killed by [-]the ocean[/-] their bad choices every year. Sometimes it's not being familiar with the local currents but sometimes it is doing things that are inherrantly risky. There seem to be one or two opihi pickers that go missing every year on Hawaii Island. Sometime I think there should a sign at the exit to every airport: "Welcome to Hawaii. Use at your own risk"

Last edited:
Back in the 1960's, my brothers, cousins and I used to go bodysurfing at Sandy and Makapu'u almost every weekend. These are fantastic beaches for that if you are a teenager (we were), and experienced body surfer in bigger surf like that (we were). One year, I think it was about 1965 or so, the surf on those beaches was the biggest on record. What a thrill! :D I'll never forget it. But, I would never recommend this to anybody because it can be extremely dangerous to those who are unused to these waters. We were teenagers, and, y'know, immortal.... :blush:

Yeah, arguably, spinal cord injuries may be worse than death (ARGUABLY!) These are common at Sandy.

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2015/01/18/hawaii-news/Waves-tempt-then-torment/

for novice body surfing, my best time was at Ixtapa. It was a nice predictable swell you could go out and hang out in, and ride in whenever. I just hung out there with some tourist guys from D.F. and shot the breeze till I got a little crispy.

When folks here travel significant distances (so that you must find lodging along the way) do you make reservations either ahead of time or (say) early in the afternoon? We typically drive until we can't drive any more and then pick from the available places at a medium sized city along the Interstate. We've tried planning ahead, but road construction or other delays, etc. can interfere. What do most folks do on long trips?

We book in advance. But rather than choose a hotel where we plan to stay that night, instead we pick the general area and then do a search for a non-chain local restaurant that has high reviews. Once we find the restaurant we then look for a hotel in our price range that's walking distance or a very short drive.

Whether you prefer a Motel 8 or $400 a night hotel you know what kind of room you'll be getting, but finding a local gem of a restaurant after 8 or 10 hours of driving is a win.

We book in advance. But rather than choose a hotel where we plan to stay that night, instead we pick the general area and then do a search for a non-chain local restaurant that has high reviews. Once we find the restaurant we then look for a hotel in our price range that's walking distance or a very short drive.

Whether you prefer a Motel 8 or $400 a night hotel you know what kind of room you'll be getting, but finding a local gem of a restaurant after 8 or 10 hours of driving is a win.

Interesting take - we are quite the opposite. We have skipped all restaurants since the beginning of the pandemic. We just bring the food along and snack while driving or in the hotel room.

I grew up body surfing (San Diego) - but best ever body surfing experience was at Hapuna State Park beach on Hawaii island. I had caught a couple good waves. The waves were HUGE because there was a storm offshore by 100 miles and they were getting ready to close the beach. A local body surfer swam over to me and told me I should go in... I explained I was from San Diego and body surfed Blacks all the time... He laughed and said I was good to go. The next wave was the best, most memorable, wave of my entire life (I still body surf.) It literally drove me face first onto the beach and I had sand down the front of my swimsuit. Such force!!!

I should have stopped there - but decided to do one more wave. That ended up being the scariest wave of my life. I mistimed it slightly and it broke on top of me - there was so much sand churned up I couldn't tell which way was up or down... Someone in this thread described it as like a washing machine... A washing machine in which you are blind and gravity doesn't help you. Finally, at the end of my breath, I felt the bottom and was able to push up to the surface. Totally terrifying.

I try to remember the wave ride right before that. I was 22 at the time - and like w2r, felt invincible.

We used to stay more motel 6 and red roof inn. Now best western and holiday inns seem good. It's more about location always for us. I look for the best deal in the location i want to be. Sometimes it's a lot.

Interesting take - we are quite the opposite. We have skipped all restaurants since the beginning of the pandemic. We just bring the food along and snack while driving or in the hotel room.
Same here.

We bring lunches and snacks too but by supper we want a real meal. If we were worried about covid we wouldn't take trips to begin with.

Back
Top Bottom