Nice Hotels as we get older?

After some bad experiences at cheap motels, I pay for hotel chains I know are clean and comfortable. I have difficulty sleeping in unfamiliar surroundings, so I’m somewhat picky.
Had one of those experiences about 15 years ago, where our room door opened to a parking lot that was a local hangout, and have been pickier about hotels since then.

It depends on the location.

We travel frequently. We stay in everything from no star B&B's to six star resorts. Depends on how much we like them and the value to us. We have stayed at some fabulous 2 stars and some very marginal four stars.

Generally we like better properties and are willing to pay for them.

I'll go out on a limb here, I like the fancy resort places.

I like my hotel to be nicer than my house, and have the amenities to boot. I know, this means putting on blinders for the prices, and maybe staying 5 nights instead of 7 to stomach it. If it means I have a balcony, a concierge, turn down service, a host at the pool finding me the perfect spot and arranging towels for me, so be it.

The best location also helps, if it puts me right at the destination, saving time every day. And I don't want to toast my own bagel for breakfast, I really like french toast with fresh berries and cream, and warmed syrup!

I know, I'm a sucker. But it's my fondness for the fancy hotel is probably my biggest weakness.

+1. And don't forget someone at the pool to bring you drinks and lunch!! I also like a room service breakfast, preferably on the balcony. Intercontinental, St Regis or Four Seasons will do.

You're not a sucker...YOLO and as my signature says, "living well is the best revenge"!

If you don't spend it, your heirs will. (Thanks grampy)

Last edited:
I used to book cheap hotels when I traveled and found that for the same money, I could get a much nicer place on Priceline. Later I used AirBnBs almost exclusively. Since the pandemic stated, I've traveled little, so I'm not sure what is the best deal right now. Once the room reaches a certain level of cleanliness and overall condition, I really don't see much added value in paying more as long as the location is convenient and safe.

I never liked the real cheap hotels... it was only if there was no other option. Inexpensive, yes, but the associated clientele... let's say I observed, and was solicited for, all kinds of "interesting" transactions at a much higher rate than at hotels costing more. Not that "interesting" things did not happen at those places, just much less... but I digress... :)

From Megacorp travels my biggest concentration of points is with Hilton, so I favor Hilton properties. I have noted elsewhere on this forum on the great treatment we have received at Hilton brand hotels, even when we were not staying at them. My preference is for suite hotels, within at least a refrigerator and microwave, and a free breakfast (or at least competitive with what is in the area). I will get rooms with kitchenettes for longer stays - we prefer having the option of cooking/reheating food.

We never did AirBnB until our last 2 trips to the Middle East, and we really like them. Perhaps we have gotten lucky so far, we have not encountered any "horror" stories we read about. It is cheaper than staying in a hotel for 7+ days, and more room. It is easier to find them closer to where our friends and relatives are living.

I never liked the real cheap hotels... it was only if there was no other option. Inexpensive, yes, but the associated clientele... let's say I observed, and was solicited for, all kinds of "interesting" transactions at a much higher rate than at hotels costing more. Not that "interesting" things did not happen at those places, just much less... but I digress... :)

Not a cheap hotel but...

I went to Moscow on business about 20 years ago. I knew a guy who had been regularly going to Moscow with another guy from South Africa to visit the same company I was going to. My friend told me that in their nice hotel, there was a desk set up every evening near the elevator where you could order a "companion" for the evening. My friend never did but the guy from South Africa routinely did. I'm not one to judge...

My other source of information was my boss at the time. He was a former spy. Lived in Moscow and worked for Radio Free Europe for several years in the 70s. Plus his connections in the intelligence community were way too good. I have mentioned him before. He worked in the Reagan White House as a direct report to Colin Powell.

Anyway, he told me all the things the Russians might do, how to look for bugs in my room, etc. Even though I had a clearance at the time, this trip had nothing to do with military business so I was not concerned. I did a cursory look as my boss had instructed but that was it.

The first evening, there was a knock at the door. I looked through the peephole and saw a nice looking young woman. I hesitated but then opened the door. She said something to me in Russian which I did not understand. I just looked at her and said "Nyet," "No," One of maybe three Russian words I know. She looked confused. Then she got a huge smile, grabbed two towels from a cart, handed them to me, and chuckled. She came the next couple of nights of my stay and we always had a slightly teasing/flirty interaction without being able to say a word to each other. I'm sure she knew what I was thinking and was teasing me about it for her amusement.

I don’t travel to rough it.

I prefer Airbnbs. More space, kitchen, washer (and maybe dryer), and usually a balcony or at least windows that open.

If it’s 1-2 nights, I’ll usually stay at a hotel, using points or somewhere reasonably priced (mid-range). I try to stick with Marriott or IHG, since I have points/status at both (and their respective credit cards which gives me a free night each year). Anything longer and I’ll get an Airbnb. I also check prices for both, since they might not vary by much.

I’ve stayed and cheaper hotels and no thanks.

Star ratings for hotels are hit and miss. I stayed at a 5 star hotel in London for two nights using points. The room was a closet. It worked fine for me, since I was alone, it was clean, etc, but if I had to pay for it, it would have been disappointing.

Like many others, I seek out Hampton Inns as having consistent quality and the amenities I actually use (e.g. buffet breakfast). Unfortunately I had a terrible experience recently at the Hampton in Fredericksburg, Va. I informed company HQ, and haven't heard back.

The front desk clerk was coughing and sneezing all over the place. Although she wore a mask, it wouldn't stay over her nose. She informed me that she had had COVID for weeks, but couldn't afford to stay home. She was afraid of vaccines.

Having had four shots and a mild case of COVID (well, mild unless you consider permanent taste/smell loss a serious matter) I wasn't too concerned about catching her germs, but how many others has she spread them to?

Also, the shower water didn't get hot even after running it for 10 minutes, although that seems picayune compared to COVID Mary at the desk.

We’re staying in a Marriott Residence Inn right now, and this one is very nice.

We really appreciate full kitchens with big fridge and dishes, even just for overnight.

Last edited:
I want clean, safe and comfortable. A kitchen (and sitting room with a recliner) are definitely a bonus.

I'm planning a vacation for 3 nights in Santa Fe. We usually like to stay someplace within walking distance of shops, dining, etc. So, for this visit, we can pay $400-$500 a night and stay downtown in the Plaza area OR stay on the main drag using points (Hyatt, Hilton, Etc). It's a hard decision. One side of me says it's not worth $1,500. The other side says I'm nearly 65 years old and don't have that many vacations left in me. UGH! What to do?

I'm planning a vacation for 3 nights in Santa Fe. We usually like to stay someplace within walking distance of shops, dining, etc. So, for this visit, we can pay $400-$500 a night and stay downtown in the Plaza area OR stay on the main drag using points (Hyatt, Hilton, Etc). It's a hard decision. One side of me says it's not worth $1,500. The other side says I'm nearly 65 years old and don't have that many vacations left in me. UGH! What to do?

Use points and Uber.

Inn of the Anasasi or La Fonda...if you don't spend it your heirs will.

stayed in some very nice and many bad hotels in 30 years on the road for w*ork. Now it is VRBO or other rentals with at least one bedroom, living room, kitchen, etc. Occasional hotel, but only top-level properties. BTD!!!

Since retiring we sometimes spend winters in SE Asia.

Not unusual or us to spend a little time in Bangkok and Kuala Lumpur.

In those cities we always opt for five star hotels. Why? Incredible value. Last stay in Bangkok we had a one bedroom suite high above the river with a fabulous view of the river and a sumptuous breakfast buffet. $150. Same for KL.

Plus a private hotel ferry to the mass transit station five minutes away by ferry.

This past May we opted for six nights in an apartment in the center of Fuchal, Madeira. It was recommended by a friend and it was located where we wanted to be

The accommodation, the comfort level, the ratings are all determined by where we are, where we want to be, the accomodation offerings, and the prices.

On visiting Santa Fe, + many on La Fonda on the plaza. My biggest decision would be where to eat, I hate eating at the same place but Cafe Pasqual's, and Coyote Cafe would be repeats.

Last edited:
I'm planning a vacation for 3 nights in Santa Fe. We usually like to stay someplace within walking distance of shops, dining, etc.

We got a decent deal at the Old Santa Fe Inn this past Feb/Mar. It was close enough to the plaza to walk and included a hot breakfast (eggs, tortillas, green chile, pastries). Room was very small but comfortable.

Hotels are fine for transit stops... Usually do HI or Hampton, sometimes Best Western.

But for staying some place I *STRONGLY* prefer apartments - so Airbnb or VRBO. I read the fine print about deposits/cleaning policies when deciding. Same as I do with hotels that tack on resort fees, parking fees, etc.

We got into the vacation rental mindset when we were travelling with the kids - having at least one separate space (bedroom & sitting room) allowed us to stay awake when the kids got tired... a hotel room with two beds pretty much put us on the kids early bedtime. I also don't like having to get dressed/presentable to get breakfast or coffee... with a kitchen you can have a relaxed start to the day. Same with the evening - it's nice to have some space to wind down with a glass of wine.

Location is the primary consideration though. I'd rather have a smaller vacation rental that is central to what I am visiting, than a fabulous mansion that requires commuting to the sights. So national parks - strong preference to being in the park. Paris - want to be in close proximity to the Seine, etc. NYC - Manhattan all the way.

We're doing 3.5 weeks in Italy in the spring - it's a combo of vacation apartments, b&bs, and a nice hotel for the one 'transit' night between the ferry to Genoa and Cinque Terre. That hotel was chosen for it's proximity to the train station.

if you don't spend it your heirs will.
Always a great thing to keep in mind.

And I just realized I have even less guilt about that spending, not that I should have any. My primary heir usually comes skiing with me, so I'm both spending it for me and also for him.

We've upgraded from the inexpensive places to airbnb's with kitchens. We both stayed in expensive business hotels when we worked and avoid spending $ there. On the road, we usually stay at dog-friendly Red Roof Inns.

Favorite Red Roof Inn story:

Pounding at the door late at night.
Me: "Yes."
Man at door: "Dude, I'm sorry, but I dropped my beer bottle from the second floor on top of your car and dented the hood.
Me: Looking outside. "That's not my car."

Man at door: "Oh, no problem then."
Door Closes, dead bolt and chain attached.

I have a rule that I never stay in a chain that starts with "R", Radisson, Red Roof Inn, etc. Too many weird issues

Other than destination hotels, I think of a hotel as a place to sleep between traveling. I don't like to pay much for them. However, having some bad experiences at the cheaper places, I tend to spend more now - and resent it as i rarely spend 8 hours in a "stop." YMMV

It's probably been mentioned before but I preferred Candlewood or other Suites. Bedroom, cooking area, nice sofa & chairs, and a balcony.

I travel for months at a time and it’s always a mixture of cheap, chain, well located, luxury and Airbnb’s if I’m somewhere for a month or so. When traveling all over Japan I quite often stayed in capsule hotels, when visiting Machu Picchu and Iguazu I opted for Belmond. In Phoenix I picked Waldorf (because of the Frank Lloyd’s Wright connection). I like IHG properties outside of US and independent boutiques in Europe. I spent last winter in an Airbnb in Lisbon and plan on something similar in South America for this winter.

Hotels are always a secondary consideration for me - it’s more about the time spent outside of them than about where I sleep.

When we got married in San Francisco I booked a deluxe room at the Mark Hopkins. When we checked in the clerk advised he could "upgrade" us to the Cyril MagninCyril Magnin suite for some modest amount and I said sure (what else would I say eh) and there we were.

I think the room was like $850 a night and has to have been one of the best deals ever - :)

Back
Top Bottom