No more "sexile"

Why would men want to stay out past a time when there could be no women around? :cool:

Maybe because all the women to do find at that time will be the naughty ones.

This has nothing to do with the thread, but, Ms. Want2retire, that is a beautiful photo/avatar of you.

Anyone want to tell him?

Oh well, I will give him a hint. Mr. retiredtuna1, look at my profile under "About me", "interests".

I haven't bothered to update my avatar, either. I have a ponytail now.

Sparked a memory...
In 1978, women midshipmen were still a novelty since they'd only been at service academies for two years. Male midshipmen all had their stories about sneaking hot chicks into Bancroft Hall, the world's largest dorm, through various back-door and underground passages. Such claims were heavily discounted, although thoroughly researched.

Plebes had to travel in uniform that year when heading home on Christmas leave, and we'd learned that in our service dress we got [-]free beer[/-] treated better on the airplanes anyway. But you stood out in a crowd and people felt compelled to share all their war stories with you.

As we were leaving the aircraft, one of the flight attendants leaned over to me and murmered "I've spent the night in Bancroft Hall!"

Last edited:
...In 1978, women midshipmen were still a novelty since they'd only been at service academies for two years.
You just dotted a really dated "i" for me. I graduated HS in 1976 and was being very actively recruited by the Coast Guard and AF for OCS. Now I know why! :LOL:
I ended up winning a full scholarship to any NY state college, so I chose that path.

You just dotted a really dated "i" for me. I graduated HS in 1976 and was being very actively recruited by the Coast Guard and AF for OCS. Now I know why! :LOL:
Lemme put it this way. The women of '80 are trailblazers who put up with a tremendous amount of unnecessary crap in pursuing equal opportunities. (Sound familiar?) Only today is USNA hitting the demographics (at least 20% women graduating) to call the process self-sustaining. However over 30 years later the '80 women still regularly get together for group therapy. And every once in a while I'll make a comment or my spouse (USNA '83) will read something that sets her off, leaving me in the middle of a minefield with no detection gear or exit maps...

When will this be officially changed to midshipchicks?
Hey, it's a rank, not a gender! That heritage is the only thing keeping us squids from being confused with the zoomies and the woops...

The photos, videos, and testimony are even worse. They had more than enough warnings and opportunities to amend their ways before they did it to themselves. It didn't help, however, when SECNAV John Lehman was getting right down there with the strippers at the 1980s Tailhooks.

My spouse said that when women were going into the academies (and later into combat billets) the more senior officers generally understood because they had college-age daughters. And their peers were mostly on board because they'd never known anything different. But a significant minority of the guys in between those two generations had to retire or die before things began to improve.

After Tailhook the nukes heaved a huge sigh of relief "there but for the grace of God". I hope they keep that in mind as women enter the submarine force today.

My daughter still doesn't understand why anyone would volunteer for submarine duty just to get a periscope tan around one eyeball. So I offered her more training, faster promotions, a higher caliber of shipmates, submarine pay, and $25K/year bonus pay. She's beginning to [-]feel the pull of the Dark Side[/-] see the light...

Attachments

• Nuclear Vegas-hook.JPG
    Nuclear Vegas-hook.JPG
    35.5 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Hey, it's a rank, not a gender!

Reminds me of an interview I heard on the radio a few days ago with a female member of Congress from TN (can not recall the name). She calls herself Congressman XXXX not Congresswoman XXXX because she says that is the way that Constitution or other founding document named the position and that's the way she prefers it.

Reminds me of an interview I heard on the radio a few days ago with a female member of Congress from TN (can not recall the name). She calls herself Congressman XXXX not Congresswoman XXXX because she says that is the way that Constitution or other founding document named the position and that's the way she prefers it.

I find Congresswoman exceedingly awkward so I use Representative instead. :)

Heh, and to think, all I have are stories of the dorm where I met my wife (we both lived there), what with the co-ed cattle showers, hotwired out of service elevator that was turned into mobile party room, and the infamous bike derby (complete with compost catapult on the roof of the dorm).

And for the record, my avatar is a reasonably good approximation of real life.

Back
Top Bottom